Site Update , Security, and Moderation Changes

First and foremost there are some MAJOR forum changes coming shortly. We have to upgrade to the latest version of the software we use to run the site, some functionality will change as this is a major bump from where we are now.  I expect there to be some issues during the conversion and upgrade, if you notice something let us know.

Second, we are moving to 100% SSL full encryption (HTTPS).  Logins, posts, the ENTIRE site will be encrypted from your PC/Phone/Table to our servers, this might not mean much to most but its a necessity in this day and age.  In short, it prevents prying eyes from seeing anything, which is only a good thing (trust me I'm a IT Geek).

Third we have been very laxed, perhaps to much in the moderation of posts and enforcement of our rules. The downside is a few members have chosen to exploit these opportunities to post curses, attacks and other completely useless content that doesn't belong here.  There will be no warnings other then this one.  Keep it clean, do not attack other members, do not curse (family site).   I and all the amazing folks that help maintain and participate in this community have no time to baby sit. We will no longer issue warnings for something you should already know.  You break the rules you are not welcome here.  See: http://huntingny.com/rules

Thanks All

John

• Like 13

First and foremost there are some MAJOR forum changes coming shortly. We have to upgrade to the latest version of the software we use to run the site, some functionality will change as this is a major bump from where we are now.  I expect there to be some issues during the conversion and upgrade, if you notice something let us know.

Second, we are moving to 100% SSL full encryption (HTTPS).  Logins, posts, the ENTIRE site will be encrypted from your PC/Phone/Table to our servers, this might not mean much to most but its a necessity in this day and age.  In short, it prevents prying eyes from seeing anything, which is only a good thing (trust me I'm a IT Geek).

Third we have been very laxed, perhaps to much in the moderation of posts and enforcement of our rules. The downside is a few members have chosen to exploit these opportunities to post curses, attacks and other completely useless content that doesn't belong here.  There will be no warnings other then this one.  Keep it clean, do not attack other members, do not curse (family site).   I and all the amazing folks that help maintain and participate in this community have no time to baby sit. We will no longer issue warnings for something you should already know.  You break the rules you are not welcome here.  See: http://huntingny.com/rules

Thanks All

John

John i would also recommend that all full names be included on members avatar and maybe even a small site fee to help offset the cost of running this site. This will keep the site where it should always have been and weed out those that really does not care for the site for more than just a stop over.$10-$15 a member would help i am sure. Its also proven on other sites that full names and small charges will clean up a place pretty quick.

• Like 1

This is really a great site. The vast majority of members here are knowledgeable, passionate, hunters and outdoorsmen. The tips and advice, pictures,encouragement, humor and yes, even the differing of opinions. Make this site the great gathering place that it is. I look forward to the changes to make it even better!

I took the time today to become a supporting member. It's something I've been wanting to do anyway. In the year and a half I have been a member, I've gotten much more from this site, than the fee for a supporting membership. In a small way, it's kind of giving back to something I enjoy, most every day. I encourage all of my fellow members, if so inclined and able to do so, to join me in becoming a supporting member! In my humble opinion, it's well worth it.

• Like 6

John i would also recommend that all full names be included on members avatar and maybe even a small site fee to help offset the cost of running this site. This will keep the site where it should always have been and weed out those that really does not care for the site for more than just a stop over.$10-$15 a member would help i am sure. Its also proven on other sites that full names and small charges will clean up a place pretty quick.

I am not sure forcing people to have their real full names as mandatory is a good idea. How would the staff even know people were using their actual real name? Background check? That won't clean anything up.

Charging a fee? What other hunting forum charges a fee?

I will do my part to halt my hasty comments.

I will miss the personal attacks and insults.   Not that I enjoyed dishing them out, but I certainly don't mind receiving them from time to time, especially when I am attacked for things like my faith in Jesus Christ and for giving Him most or all the credit for the many hunting and fishing successes I have enjoyed in NY state over the years.  This has certainly been a "target rich environment" in that respect, compared to some of the national forums I participate in.   I did read the rules carefully, and they look to be pretty good otherwise.   I especially appreciate it that there is no written or implied attempt to minimize or eliminate talk about Christianity in the forum.   Happy Easter, and keep up the good work.     

• Like 2

I am not sure forcing people to have their real full names as mandatory is a good idea. How would the staff even know people were using their actual real name? Background check? That won't clean anything up.

Charging a fee? What other hunting forum charges a fee?

I will do my part to halt my hasty comments.

Yup i am on other sites that make you use your name. Push of the button will give Ip address and name. Not to long ago there was a guy on here throwing out name after name on some guys on here, he was not a Mod, Just a member.  The ones that are afraid to put their name after a post i believe are the ones that would cause the problems. If someone can write the words they should have no problem owing up to them fully.

As far as paying a very small fee would keep the people on here that would make the site great and want to keep it that way.. I dont believe there is one person on this site that could not put up $10.00 bucks a year for the the help to the owner. Those that say they cant?  Well??????

Yup i am on other sites that make you use your name. Push of the button will give Ip address and name. Not to long ago there was a guy on here throwing out name after name on some guys on here, he was not a Mod, Just a member.  The ones that are afraid to put their name after a post i believe are the ones that would cause the problems. If someone can write the words they should have no problem owing up to them fully.

As far as paying a very small fee would keep the people on here that would make the site great and want to keep it that way.. I dont believe there is one person on this site that could not put up $10.00 bucks a year for the the help to the owner. Those that say they cant?  Well??????

I get it that you do not endorse the privacy act. I get that you don't understand where identity thieves get information.

I apologize for getting FSW in a huff when this thread was supposed to be about rule changes.

I get it that you do not endorse the privacy act. I get that you don't understand where identity thieves get information.

I apologize for getting FSW in a huff when this thread was supposed to be about rule changes.

Are you freakin serious? privacy act?  Worried someone is going to make fun of your name?

You cant come close to getting me in a huff on something so petty.  So if it was a rule change to those rules you would bail because so wacko on a hunting site would use your name for something???

• 2 weeks later...

No need for a fee, i do have a donate button deal but its not necessary providing members don't run adblockers.  We have just a few ads, they are generic from google but relevant to the content.   I hate sites that have a crap ton of ads, which is why I chose the spots to have them.  It would be nice if those members white-listed the site there are a few folks that block the ads. Perhaps I'll have to block the ad-blocker members.  We don't ask much (actually nothing) here so the least you can do is not block the ads.

I'd never charge a fee to access the site, that would cut us off from the internet essentially. Whatever money I do get from ad's is really turned right back into the site for the hosting fee's and licensing costs for the forum software/updates. 

• Like 6

No need for a fee, i do have a donate button deal but its not necessary providing members don't run adblockers.  We have just a few ads, they are generic from google but relevant to the content.   I hate sites that have a crap ton of ads, which is why I chose the spots to have them.  It would be nice if those members white-listed the site there are a few folks that block the ads. Perhaps I'll have to block the ad-blocker members.  We don't ask much (actually nothing) here so the least you can do is not block the ads.

I'd never charge a fee to access the site, that would cut us off from the internet essentially. Whatever money I do get from ad's is really turned right back into the site for the hosting fee's and licensing costs for the forum software/updates. 

If you do not allow or even encourage ad blocking then your site will continue to repel woman, and parents will not allow children on your site. Either will schools and youth centers.

We have several websites - and with the amount of traffic they generate I could buy a new truck in a few years if we allowed google ads and/or accepted advertisers. In order to maintain integrity and not stray from our purpose we do not however. 

I think there are other categories you could white list and black list on here that are more significant. 

And it is pretty hard to promote a non-profit venture on for profit channels ....

And what is up with throttling the personal messages? Just what does that accomplish? There are far too many non - hunters,  antis and trolls online, it has reached the point where talking privately is needed. 

Content usually is not free either. Interesting all it takes is a click or any random blabber for a google ad reward though. 

Edited by mike rossi

If you do not allow or even encourage ad blocking then your site will continue to repel woman, and parents will not allow children on your site. Either will schools and youth centers.

We have several websites - and with the amount of traffic they generate I could buy a new truck in a few years if we allowed google ads and/or accepted advertisers. In order to maintain integrity and not stray from our purpose we do not however.

I think there are other categories you could white list and black list on here that are more significant.

And it is pretty hard to promote a non-profit venture on for profit channels ....

And what is up with throttling the personal messages? Just what does that accomplish? There are far too many non - hunters, antis and trolls online, it has reached the point where talking privately is needed.

Content usually is not free either. Interesting all it takes is a click or any random blabber for a google ad reward though.

Probably because not all of us wants a mass PM from you. It's like spam being shoved down your throat.

I also don't see why kids and females would have an issue with the ads. If the ads is what keeps this place running, why not? I see nothing wrong with it thus far.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 4

And what is up with throttling the personal messages? Just what does that accomplish? There are far too many non - hunters,  antis and trolls online, it has reached the point where talking privately is needed.

I see no mention of this and never had an issue sending one.

Maybe its time to ban him for unrequested dove hunting blasts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

And you, nor anyone who "liked" your stupid comment has ever recieved one from me.

I think this site should be renamed Wing Nuts who occasionally dapple in hunting or did 30 years ago...

• Like 1

Probably because not all of us wants a mass PM from you. It's like spam being shoved down your throat.

I also don't see why kids and females would have an issue with the ads. If the ads is what keeps this place running, why not? I see nothing wrong with it thus far.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

When are you going to unsubscribe from my you tube channel? 

I stopped emailing you about a year ago. And, only Phade has complained to me. Nobody else. They should tell me not you or someone else if there is a problem. Nobody had told me Phade was their messenger... And, I think I only emailed Phade one time as a matter of fact, 

There is a block function on this site that works - I got you blocked as a matter of fact. Maybe you should use  the block feature...

Edited by mike rossi

And you, nor anyone who "liked" your stupid comment has ever recieved one from me.

I think this site should be renamed Wing Nuts who occasionally dapple in hunting or did 30 years ago...

If this site sucks so bad, why do you use it?

Im getting a little tired of people slamming the site over and over. If you don't like it, don't visit. If you guys continue to slam it, I can show you the door.

• Like 5

For the record, I support the dove hunting efforts. I don't support some of the tactics used to publicize/inform. Others have remarked the same to me about it, but it's not my role to insert myself into it.

It just leaves a bitter taste on a topic that people should be excited about.

I was and am prepared to donate for the advertising campaign, but the responses from you are making me second guess it out of concern for the abrasiveness.

• Like 6