If Full Inclusion Happens?

grampy

There is one crossbow disadvantage that I've experienced that is seldom talked about. Maybe someone has mentioned it, if so, here it is again.Trees (big and small) grow vertically. In a "Still Hunting" scenario getting around is not the only concern. Yes lacing through heavy cover is a bit more problematic with a crossbow but shooting from such cover is almost impossible.

1. The horizontal bow limbs of the crossbow need clearance. Yes, a standard bow may have a few branches to contend with but a crossbow has many vertical trunks to clear. There are fewer opportunities to hide. You ether step out sideways away from a tree or place the horizontal bow limbs and drawn string out in front of any vertical obstacles. 

2. With a bow you can turn and pan past vertical obstacles before the draw. If drawn and following the target you have the option of dropping the draw and drawing again on the other side. The crossbow is drawn and the extra effort to monitor limb clearance and the motion to drop the crossbow to raise it up in a new channel is far greater than an inline let off, pivot and redraw required for the standard bow.

It's been mentioned about the difficulty of a second shot. There crossbow involves more movement and takes three to five times longer (when compared to a bow) to cock an load that second shot. Not really an issue though as second shot opportunities seldom occur.

For me the bow is a better weapon if I plan on still hunting for the day. The crossbow is my choice if I plan to sit in a blind. I can't speak for tree stand use because I've never been able to feel comfortable up there. I do know it's NOT recommended to cock a crossbow while in a tree stand.

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 3

There is one crossbow disadvantage that I've experienced that is seldom talked about. Maybe someone has mentioned it, if so, here it is again.Trees (big and small) grow vertically. In a "Still Hunting" scenario getting around is not the only concern. Yes lacing through heavy cover is a bit more problematic with a crossbow but shooting from such cover is almost impossible.

1. The horizontal bow limbs of the crossbow need clearance. Yes, a standard bow may have a few branches to contend with but a crossbow has many vertical trunks to clear. There are fewer opportunities to hide. You ether step out sideways away from a tree or place the horizontal bow limbs and drawn string out in front of any vertical obstacles.

2. With a bow you can turn and pan past vertical obstacles before the draw. If drawn and following the target you have the option of dropping the draw and drawing again on the other side. The crossbow is drawn and the extra effort to monitor limb clearance and the motion to drop the crossbow to raise it up in a new channel is far greater than an inline let off, pivot and redraw required for the standard bow.

It's been mentioned about the difficulty of a second shot. There crossbow involves more movement and takes three to five times longer (when compared to a bow) to cock an load that second shot. Not really an issue though as second shot opportunities seldom occur.

For me the bow is a better weapon if I plan on still hunting for the day. The crossbow is my choice if I plan to sit in a blind. I can't speak for tree stand use because I've never been able to feel comfortable up there. I do know it's NOT recommended to cock a crossbow while in a tree stand.

Most if not all treestand I hunt from it would be almost impossible to cock in the stand....especially my climber Wich is my go to archery stand just to add to your post

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You still need to be "stealthy and out play the game" to get within 30 yards or so, to kill with a crossbow.

To get within 30 yards yes but there is no drawing making sure you get everything just right before you release that arrow making sure your coat isn't touching your string or something simple that could impact your shot.

You don't have any of that just shoulder it and put the cross hairs and pull the trigger, really no different than a rifle or shotgun just a limited range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To get within 30 yards yes but there is no drawing making sure you get everything just right before you release that arrow making sure your coat isn't touching your string or something simple that could impact your shot.

You don't have any of that just shoulder it and put the cross hairs and pull the trigger, really no different than a rifle or shotgun just a limited range.

And yet people miss completely with a gun every year ,and it's the epitomizes the top technology available. Getting close and controling yourself is a hard thing to master, some never do or do in part, it's the rush called buck fever.... a gun hunter who decides to take the course and pick up a crossbow has to learn to master this .. 30 yards is still max for most shots with a crossbow.. that alone can be unnerving to a lot of peope.

I know someone who is an nys Olympic shooter but shakes so bad with a bow on a deer he has never taken one, and stopped hunting with it. He's fine with a gun though.

• Like 2

Not 100 percent accurate you have to make sure bolt is seated right that you drew it back right holding it level and all that....it's not point and shoot....it's still a complicated piece of equipment that requires full attention while lining up shot

• Like 1

I have shot a few and they aren't a whole lot harder to shoot than a gun. Granted they are bulkier but anyone proficient with a gun shouldn't have a hard time out to 60 yards.

Ever shoot a bow that far? I do and it is a whole lot harder than the xbow at 60 yards. I'm not for them in archery season but have nothing against them in muzzleloader or use during gun season.

This is similar to the guys and rifle inclusion. I was all for the use of rifles in 8F when many weren't. It doesn't sound as nearly like WW3 except for one property. I have found a lot less gun wounded deer but unfortunately still find my fair share of bow wounded deer.

I have shot a few and they aren't a whole lot harder to shoot than a gun. Granted they are bulkier but anyone proficient with a gun shouldn't have a hard time out to 60 yards.

Ever shoot a bow that far? I do and it is a whole lot harder than the xbow at 60 yards. I'm not for them in archery season but have nothing against them in muzzleloader or use during gun season.

This is similar to the guys and rifle inclusion. I was all for the use of rifles in 8F when many weren't. It doesn't sound as nearly like WW3 except for one property. I have found a lot less gun wounded deer but unfortunately still find my fair share of bow wounded deer.

off hand 60 yards would be hard...and it's to far in the woods deer would jump string constantly....they are ridiculously loud also

Can't picture someone shooting a crossbow 60 yards off hand when he could be using a bi-pod , tri-pod or other gun rest .

That's good in theory, but deer don't do what you expect, moving a bi pod tripod or mono pod takes movement and time 2 things you try to minimize, maybe if your in a blind, still hunting, tree stand hunting when deer comes from behind, it's a whole new game.. not as easy , you have to learn a whole way to hunt
  • Like 2

Can't picture someone shooting a crossbow 60 yards off hand when he could be using a bi-pod , tri-pod or other gun rest .

Idk I don't carry extra gear in the woods ever...nether does anyone I hunt with...but then again we wouldn't shoot 60 yards either 30 35 is our max with archery equipment....

Idk I don't carry extra gear in the woods ever...nether does anyone I hunt with...but then again we wouldn't shoot 60 yards either 30 35 is our max with archery equipment....

You were the one that mentioned hard to take a 60 yard shot offhand ( post #64 ) .. 

When I gun hunt I carry a bi-pod and sometimes a fold up camping chair . I don't walk & stalk . I sit and wait . I don't see a problem with a crossbow shooter taking a bi-pod to a blind . 

You were the one that mentioned hard to take a 60 yard shot offhand ( post #64 ) ..

When I gun hunt I carry a bi-pod and sometimes a fold up camping chair . I don't walk & stalk . I sit and wait . I don't see a problem with a crossbow shooter taking a bi-pod to a blind .

Neither do i....I simply stated it wasn't easy...it's not....if I have to carry a bunch of extra junk to shoot it that far then it's not easy....

Not to mention I would be shocked to see anyone successfully kill a Whitetail in a non lucky way at 60 yards...they will jump string at 40 I bet...

There will be no changes to the deer season for at least 3 years. With the possible exception of cross bow though the whole bow season. So you can get off the crap of a 2 week season for this and that. Maybe we can have a 2 week squirt gun and spitball season.

• Like 1

I don't understand all the fuss. Allowing the use of a crossbow during the archery season isn't a big deal. We've had it for years in Pa. I've experienced ZERO negative impact from guys using a crossbow during bow season. It's just another method for hunters to use. Me personally, if it were my home hunting State, I would ask that crossbow hunters be allowed to hunt the entire bow season anywhere in the State, not just a certain time frame or certain zone.  

I never understand why fellow hunters stand against those who prefer another method of hunting. In Pa over the years and to this day, I hear bickering between gun hunters and bow hunters. It's childish and ridiculous. Hunters as a whole should support increased methods and seasons. Our numbers are slowly but surely dwindling so there really is no time for bickering against one another. 

• Like 7

I don't understand all the fuss. Allowing the use of a crossbow during the archery season isn't a big deal. We've had it for years in Pa. I've experienced ZERO negative impact from guys using a crossbow during bow season. It's just another method for hunters to use. Me personally, if it were my home hunting State, I would ask that crossbow hunters be allowed to hunt the entire bow season anywhere in the State, not just a certain time frame or certain zone.

I never understand why fellow hunters stand against those who prefer another method of hunting. In Pa over the years and to this day, I hear bickering between gun hunters and bow hunters. It's childish and ridiculous. Hunters as a whole should support increased methods and seasons. Our numbers are slowly but surely dwindling so there really is no time for bickering against one another.

Well said

That's good in theory, but deer don't do what you expect, moving a bi pod tripod or mono pod takes movement and time 2 things you try to minimize, maybe if your in a blind, still hunting, tree stand hunting when deer comes from behind, it's a whole new game.. not as easy , you have to learn a whole way to hunt

I cannot shoot a gun off-hand worth a crap.  Because of that, all my stands have built in gun rests, and I have never really had a problem getting those nice horizontal surfaces to rest my gun on. Everything but the sandbags ..... lol. It's a pretty deadly arrangement. Doing the same with a crossbow would be absolutely no problem. For still hunting with a gun, I have a primos trigger bipod that works great. I can't see it being any more of a problem for a crossbow. But maybe there is something I'm not seeing that makes these things not work for crossbows.

I don't understand all the fuss. Allowing the use of a crossbow during the archery season isn't a big deal. We've had it for years in Pa. I've experienced ZERO negative impact from guys using a crossbow during bow season. It's just another method for hunters to use. Me personally, if it were my home hunting State, I would ask that crossbow hunters be allowed to hunt the entire bow season anywhere in the State, not just a certain time frame or certain zone.  

I never understand why fellow hunters stand against those who prefer another method of hunting. In Pa over the years and to this day, I hear bickering between gun hunters and bow hunters. It's childish and ridiculous. Hunters as a whole should support increased methods and seasons. Our numbers are slowly but surely dwindling so there really is no time for bickering against one another. 

Yeah people like to "bicker". Like when bowhunters said that bow season should be for bows, there were a bunch of people who wanted to argue with that, basically saying, "were coming into your season whether you like it or not, so move the hell over". Think that's bad, wait until the muzzleloaders say the same thing to the crossbow people. No matter what you may have worked years to set up, there are always those jealous people that come along afterward and want to shove their way in. And then the bickering begins. It is inevitable. There's always somebody who wants what you have. We all know that there are a whole lot of rifle hunters that would just love to have access to the bow season, and someday will be coming for it. And then, once again, you will hear "bickering". Get used to it. I won't end until there are no more "special seasons".

• Like 2

I cannot shoot a gun off-hand worth a crap. Because of that, all my stands have built in gun rests, and I have never really had a problem getting those nice horizontal surfaces to rest my gun on. Everything but the sandbags ..... lol. It's a pretty deadly arrangement. Doing the same with a crossbow would be absolutely no problem. For still hunting with a gun, I have a primos trigger bipod that works great. I can't see it being any more of a problem for a crossbow. But maybe there is something I'm not seeing that makes these things not work for crossbows.

I am assuming you have ladder stands with rails or home built stands. Unfortunately hanging, climbers, and stands built between multiple trunk trees don't have them. For me that makes 43 of 50 stands un usable for a rest.. I will give you a crossbow to use out of one and even the safety harness to wear as it will try to pull you out of the tree with its weight forward design.

You admit you need a rest for a gun as off haND your a bad shot, so why not practice more off hand? Or do you do the safe thing and shorten your effective range off hand.. the crossbow will kill some deer at long distance but my compound has as well. Though the majority of hunters will kill under 30 yards on average with both.

• Like 1

Muzzloader in bow is a possibility and I won't deny it, but the real reason these seasons are expanding is the need to make more deer.if 50k new crossbow hunter take 10 % more deer them the dec mandate will be met so no need to expand it they all become trophy hunters and take .1% then you will see dec push for more seasons.. it pretty simple, they are giving us the hunters a job to do.if we don't accomplish it they will keep trying things to get more hunters into seasons to up the take......

• Like 1

Muzzloader in bow is a possibility and I won't deny it, but the real reason these seasons are expanding is the need to make more deer.if 50k new crossbow hunter take 10 % more deer them the dec mandate will be met so no need to expand it they all become trophy hunters and take .1% then you will see dec push for more seasons.. it pretty simple, they are giving us the hunters a job to do.if we don't accomplish it they will keep trying things to get more hunters into seasons to up the take......

I hunt in one of the areas that have the population issue. Personally as I have said before, the way to do it in THESE areas is to expand opportunity. If for some reason that can't be enacted to take on the issue they should quit screwing around and and take it on hard and fast. put the most effective weapon in bow and that is the gun. Not a ML but guns. Antlerless only and carry it right through gun season. make the buck tag valid for antlerless too in those areas and just have at it. Get it don'e and then set the seasons back for the next year, if it is corrected. Imagine the bucks running around that year...lol

• Like 1

I hunt in one of the areas that have the population issue. Personally as I have said before, the way to do it in THESE areas is to expand opportunity. If for some reason that can't be enacted to take on the issue they should quit screwing around and and take it on hard and fast. put the most effective weapon in bow and that is the gun. Not a ML but guns. Antlerless only and carry it right through gun season. make the buck tag valid for antlerless too in those areas and just have at it. Get it don'e and then set the seasons back for the next year, if it is corrected. Imagine the bucks running around that year...lol

Or the lack of because people shot a buck with a rifle but tagged with archery tag. We can play devil's advocate all day and night but in reality DEC is going to do whatever they want not the people.

They also aren't going to force landowners to allow access to their property period.

Or the lack of because people shot a buck with a rifle but tagged with archery tag. We can play devil's advocate all day and night but in reality DEC is going to do whatever they want not the people.

They also aren't going to force landowners to allow access to their property period.

Did you even read what I wrote?  If it went antlerless only and with guns any buck take would not be legal. And who said to force owners?