Anti xbow question

stoneam2006

I don't care one way or another about Xbows . But then I honestly don't think killing a deer with a compound is that hard of a thing to do if you hunt a high population area .

• Like 4

I really like the way the seasons are right now....Bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader. It make you become proficient and use all of your weapons. If they go full inclusion my compound will probably collect dust and that will annoy me but I am not going to use it when I can use a crossbow. I do believe anyone should be able to use a crossbow for the full season if they can't use a compound for any reason with a simple doctors note. So I guess I don't want full inclusion because I guess I need to be forced to use my compound. I know, stupid right?

• Like 1

yeah, he almost had me up until that comment.

You have to admit that he does have some truth in those words. Many will do just what he said. Not sure on the lazy part of it but many will give it a shot and give up after they see what is involved.  Just as those same gun hunters would not pick up a compound.

• Like 1

I really like the way the seasons are right now....Bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader. It make you become proficient and use all of your weapons. If they go full inclusion my compound will probably collect dust and that will annoy me but I am not going to use it when I can use a crossbow. I do believe anyone should be able to use a crossbow for the full season if they can't use a compound for any reason with a simple doctors note. So I guess I don't want full inclusion because I guess I need to be forced to use my compound. I know, stupid right?

not really.

I really like the way the seasons are right now....Bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader. It make you become proficient and use all of your weapons. If they go full inclusion my compound will probably collect dust and that will annoy me but I am not going to use it when I can use a crossbow. I do believe anyone should be able to use a crossbow for the full season if they can't use a compound for any reason with a simple doctors note. So I guess I don't want full inclusion because I guess I need to be forced to use my compound. I know, stupid right?

Not really we put scopes on our guns have binos and rangefinders so we know exactly yardage use big broadhead instead of sharpened rocks it's about making it as efficient as possible and with efficiency comes ease....so of its easier and more productive to use xbow why wouldn't we...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think part of the rush, for me anyway, of hunting with a compound or recurve, is the moment building up to the shot.....the way everything has to pretty much come together perfectly to make it happen, I didn't get that with the crossbow...but still enjoyed it, just not in the same way.

• Like 5

I think part of the rush, for me anyway, of hunting with a compound or recurve, is the moment building up to the shot.....the way everything has to pretty much come together perfectly to make it happen, I didn't get that with the crossbow...but still enjoyed it, just not in the same way.

I definitely get that as I shot one with both last year and the compound was much more exciting....although that one had a bunch more points lol

• Like 1

Crossbow hunters just like many gun hunters are lazy and will probably give up the sport once they

realize that just because they are hunting early season does not mean deer will jump into your lap and

that real work is needed to become successful.

That happened in Ohio - not a crossbow to be found. LOL!!

yeah, he almost had me up until that comment.

Might be lazy for some but I know I have had years past that I had work and family commitments that didn't allow for me to practice as I normally do. So I didn't go out those years with a bow. If cross bow had been available I would have. Lazy? Working 60-70 hours a week out of town and only home for a day and a half. 125,000 miles on a new truck in 22 months, then feeling it was more important to spend time with family then go practice? Obviously some feel that is lazy.  

• Like 1

That's just it between working 40_70 hrs a week 20 other hobbies 2 kids a house to take care of it don't have time to shoot my now 5 days a week...now don't get me wrong I can pick my bow up any day all year long and hit the 10 ring out to 40 no problem but still isn't as convenient as my xbow....plus I like my xbow alot just like I like my rifle

Have a honest question for you anti xbow guys....

Why are you so against xbow?

Please real honest answers I really just want to know...

Maybe I'm missing something....

If a hunter were to approach the early deer season with the alternate option of a draw lock attached to a standard compound bow, would Anti-Xbow-ers be opposed to that? I think most agree that a disability or age reasons are ok. But the new bill proposes the use of draw locks will no longer require a disability permit. Essentially the guy has got a vertical crossbow with no disability. 

• Like 1

That's just it between working 40_70 hrs a week 20 other hobbies 2 kids a house to take care of it don't have time to shoot my now 5 days a week...now don't get me wrong I can pick my bow up any day all year long and hit the 10 ring out to 40 no problem but still isn't as convenient as my xbow....plus I like my xbow alot just like I like my rifle

I probably could too, but it is a confidence thing to have all that practice under my belt. (not bragging) I have shot a lot of deer with a bow but I have never lost a deer that I have shot with a bow and that has meant passing on shots i probably could have made. I like it certain...lol. If there is such a thing. 

• Like 2

Well I know more than a few compound shooter that pick up the bow a week before the season shoot a down arrows and go..

Face it your pins are set, peepsight, on, a d using a kisser button you use a mechanical release that is just like a trigger. And they shoot the ten ring out to 30 yards on every shot. How is that different than a crossbow?

The pee on this forum have more of an interest in hunting and other aspects of the sport. A poll here doesn't reflect the general bow hunting population, nor doe nybh organization .

Besides docs give an inch and they take a mile (standard nra practice as well) talk of lazy hunters is moot, I am on my property 300 plus days a year, I practice with bow , .22 ,45 70 and shotgun...guess what I own and shoot a crossbow as well.as do many friends I hunt with, it's simple another thing to try, why do you need a rifle when a shotgun has been killing deer for years... why do you want that new gun? Simply you want to try something different...

I would bet that over half the x bow purchases were made by people that already bow hunt.. and now with course being made mandatory to use a crossbow ,Those that ran out and got one and signed a piece of paper have to be educated in effectiveness of death by hemoraging.

I wouldn't call anyone that can get close and consistsntly take game lazy...

• Like 3

So first 2 weeks trad only

2nd 2 weeks vertical only

3rd 2 weeks xbow only

I don't think that would pass, the state is too interested in raising money, just look at all the State Revenue Raising Agents (AKA police) hiding alongside the roads doing nothing but writing tickets, to pass such a law. They would fear a drop in license sales as those not satisfied with a two week season might simply decide to no longer hunt after seeing their allowable time afield greatly reduced.

Edited by Uptown Redneck

So first 2 weeks trad only

2nd 2 weeks vertical only

3rd 2 weeks xbow only

I don't think that would pass, the state is too interested in raising money, just look at all the State Revenue Raising Agents (AKA police) hiding alongside the roads doing nothing but writing tickets, to pass such a law. They would fear a drop in license sales as those not satisfied with a two week season might simply decide to no longer hunt after seeing their allowable time afield greatly reduced.

I believe the DEC is responsible for setting seasons and the State sets the laws. You could be right about upsetting hunters though. lots of guys here have got a gripe about something.  It's hard to say whether a little something for everybody would be a compromise to make more hunters happy.

So if the State makes it legal the DEC has to cater to produce happy hunters to promote more license sales.

If a hunter were to approach the early deer season with the alternate option of a draw lock attached to a standard compound bow, would Anti-Xbow-ers be opposed to that? I think most agree that a disability or age reasons are ok. But the new bill proposes the use of draw locks will no longer require a disability permit. Essentially the guy has got a vertical crossbow with no disability.

My dad is not disabled and is not old just turned 50....so that doesn't involve all why should he have to fight to become "disabled" bc a few "elite" archery guys can't share?

• Like 1

Well I know more than a few compound shooter that pick up the bow a week before the season shoot a down arrows and go..

Face it your pins are set, peepsight, on, a d using a kisser button you use a mechanical release that is just like a trigger. And they shoot the ten ring out to 30 yards on every shot. How is that different than a crossbow?

The pee on this forum have more of an interest in hunting and other aspects of the sport. A poll here doesn't reflect the general bow hunting population, nor doe nybh organization .

Besides docs give an inch and they take a mile (standard nra practice as well) talk of lazy hunters is moot, I am on my property 300 plus days a year, I practice with bow , .22 ,45 70 and shotgun...guess what I own and shoot a crossbow as well.as do many friends I hunt with, it's simple another thing to try, why do you need a rifle when a shotgun has been killing deer for years... why do you want that new gun? Simply you want to try something different...

I would bet that over half the x bow purchases were made by people that already bow hunt.. and now with course being made mandatory to use a crossbow ,Those that ran out and got one and signed a piece of paper have to be educated in effectiveness of death by hemoraging.

I wouldn't call anyone that can get close and consistsntly take game lazy...

Yep just another tool

As far as Im concerned , if you want to use an X bow..go ahead. I really don't care that much. But I think  that most pro X bow people have a problem admitting that the reason why they prefer them is because using one is easier than using a regular bow. 

• Like 3

As far as Im concerned , if you want to use an X bow..go ahead. I really don't care that much. But I think that most pro X bow people have a problem admitting that the reason why they prefer them is because using one is easier than using a regular bow.

Personal experiance my bow is much easier than a crossbow especially when holding at draw waiting for a minute for the deer to step out.. hold a brick out in your hand for a minute.. that's a biw, try holding a cinder block out that's a crossbow.

Now if your a nice blind with a rest or bench maybe but I never have game walk right where I want them when rested, it's not like a gun where it's just a barrel sticking out it has these big clunky limbs that will find anything in the way to hit..

Everyone said how easy it is ,little different relearning how to hunt with one..

• Like 2

Personal experiance my bow is much easier than a crossbow especially when holding at draw waiting for a minute for the deer to step out.. hold a brick out in your hand for a minute.. that's a biw, try holding a cinder block out that's a crossbow.

Now if your a nice blind with a rest or bench maybe but I never have game walk right where I want them when rested, it's not like a gun where it's just a barrel sticking out it has these big clunky limbs that will find anything in the way to hit..

Everyone said how easy it is ,little different relearning how to hunt with one..

Perfect