Biz-R-OWorld 2016 Season

BizCT

Cards fan?? Thought you were a Red Sox season ticket holder?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not a cards fan. It's an Ozzie Smith t shirt. Loved Ozzie Smith, could care less about Cards. Go Sox!!

Have you guys scouted enough to start thinking about where to put stands/blinds yet? Never to early to start thinking.

Yea, and it appears the previous owner's 3 spots are pretty spot on so far.

Did the previous owner get any nice bucks from that property? Find any sheds?

Yea he got a few nice ones from the pics he showed. I didn't find any sheds but only really looked once a couple of months ago for a few hours. Lots of buck rubs.

Nice quad and That trailer is sweeeeeet

Yea, it's my Dad's first atv and first trailer. I think he made good choices.

Nice Biz. By the time deer season rolls around you should be able to get at least a couple nice bucks.

Hope so. Expanded Xbow season to 10/1 would be nice too!

Got the soil test results back from whitetail institute. I'll have to do research, but I don't think growing clover should be a problem. Is Lime really 100% necessary? I would think if we scrape up the ground really good and throw clover it will grow.

d1cb749f854e3951d555454e3383b518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.1 is pretty low. I would add lime if you can its only going to help the clover grow better. The clover will help add nitrogen back into soil over time so its a good plot to start with. When buying clover look at the desired ph it requires to grow. I limed my plots first couple years. Over time my plot has grown better and better each year.

5.1 is pretty low. I would add lime if you can its only going to help the clover grow better. The clover will help add nitrogen back into soil over time so its a good plot to start with. When buying clover look at the desired ph it requires to grow. I limed my plots first couple years. Over time my plot has grown better and better each year.

What would be the order of operation? Assuming we want to put the clover seed down in mid August, is the lime done weeks before or months before? And how soon after we scrape/till the ground up?

Some others might know more i would try starting a thread in the food plot land managment section. The way i did it was tilled first then lime. You want some rain to let the lime soak in the soil. Give it a bit of time because the lime is so basic in ph it would probably kill whatever you plant. Size is up to you i think my plots are all around 1/4 to 1/3 acre.

Some others might know more i would try starting a thread in the food plot land managment section. The way i did it was tilled first then lime. You want some rain to let the lime soak in the soil. Give it a bit of time because the lime is so basic in ph it would probably kill whatever you plant. Size is up to you i think my plots are all around 1/4 to 1/3 acre.

Cool thx. I bought fast acting lime (which has good reviews) since we plan to plant the clover mid to late August. Sounds like we can till, lime, plant, then lime again in the fall.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you have any sort of significant deer population 50x50 is not going to make much of a difference (especially if you do not lime and fertilize to accelerate the growth)..   It will take some time to understand the heard size that you have, but at my place 50x50 would never have a chance to grow..

I plant 3 to 4 acres of turnips, brassica and other winter forage and it is usually pretty picked over by December 1st and it is all gone by January 1st.    That is with corn and soybeans on 3 sides of my property.

Edited by t_barb
  • Like 1

Honestly, if you have any sort of significant deer population 50x50 is not going to make much of a difference (especially if you do not lime and fertilize to accelerate the growth).. It will take some time to understand the heard size that you have, but at my place 50x50 would never have a chance to grow..

I plant 3 to 4 acres of turnips, brassica and other winter forage and it is usually pretty picked over by December 1st and it is all gone by January 1st. That is with corn and soybeans on 3 sides of my property.

Yea I'm nowhere near AG Fields of any sort. I already bought lime and seed for 1/4 acre, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe do 50x100 or something.

Honestly, if you have any sort of significant deer population 50x50 is not going to make much of a difference (especially if you do not lime and fertilize to accelerate the growth)..   It will take some time to understand the heard size that you have, but at my place 50x50 would never have a chance to grow..

I plant 3 to 4 acres of turnips, brassica and other winter forage and it is usually pretty picked over by December 1st and it is all gone by January 1st.    That is with corn and soybeans on 3 sides of my property.

Tbarb, I planted a mix of clover, turnips, and alfalfa last fall and the deer barely touched the turnips.  A few tops were chewed off, but the turnips were popping out of the ground and they didn't touch a single one.  Fertilized, but didn't lime... why do you think you had such better results?  Which brand did you use?

I buy purple top turnips and dwarf Essex rape from a local seed store and mix it with Biologic Brassica (50/50)..   I have had really good luck with it.   The turnip greens get eaten from the time they start growing..   They usually do not eat the bulbs until the greens are gone..

The past 4 or 5 years, I have focused on ensuring that they have plenty of forage coming out of the rut to help them prepare for winter...  It seems to have made a huge difference in terms of body size and overall health..

Here is an example of a bucks I got picks of late last summer..   Not the biggest rack out there, but never got deer this heavy before I started with the approach mentioned above

post-1276-0-16701100-1463606987_thumb.jp

Edited by t_barb
  • Like 1