Biz-R-OWorld 2016 Season

BizCT

11/14: Dad hunted dark to dark on the 3 acre spot we have access too. He saw a doe at first light and then the same 6pt from the other day around 9am cruising nose to the ground but too far for a shot. Couldn't draw him in with a call. Soon after a big raccoon at 15 yards. Nothing the rest of the day until just before 430pm. Dad was packing his stuff up and the 6pt was back and standing 20yds from him. My dad is very hard of hearing so he never heard it come in. Dad raised xbow slowly and buck slowly walked away but Dad stopped him with a "behhhhp" broadside and took what he thought was a tad over 30 yards. Watched lumenok go low right under the buck. He walked it off and it was more like 37-39 yards. Big difference between 32 and 39 for xbow, so makes sense why he missed low. He's taking his first day off of the year tomorrow with the rain expected.

Meanwhile at our new property, I got 5 texts today of deer. Hope that's a good sign for a bigger buck come gun season for me.

6902343b2b27c913d3cdc077c050e0db.jpg

9c6d7989fa2e24f5c057c1c3e12f164a.jpg

725bf822e40bb15a4963c1c8c64ebeca.jpg

a531514a47cecfbe530a5fa4b41b2003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11/15: Rained all day, so the first full day off for my Dad from hunting since xbow opened.

11/16: Dad went back to the 3 acre spot we have access to and hunted dark to dark.

He seen nothing until 8:40am when he blind grunt called.  Within 5 minutes a buck worked his way towards my Dad and got 52 yards before leaving. It was at least 4pt (not counting brows or any other definite points).

Dad grunted again at 9am and a different big deer came within 100 yards, but he never got a clear look at the head.

A few minutes after that Dad saw a nice big red fox go by at 35 yards (not shot opp.).

At 10am Dad saw a big 6 pointer cruising through the woods at 80 yards away, but couldn't draw him in closer for a shot.

Nothing the rest of the day.

In my Dad's 50+ years of hunting and around 25-30 years of hunting this spot in 3N, this is the most buck activity he has ever seen. After 2012, we stopped shooting anything 4pts or less so maybe that is why there is an abundance of bigger bucks…..now my Dad is tempted to hunt this place opening day Saturday instead of our new land he bought in the spring. I think he should do that, while I hunt our new property.

• Like 2

11/17: This is getting nuts. Dad went back to the 3 acre spot we have access to hunt dark to dark.

At 7:25am he saw a doe.

At 7:35am he saw a buck (4pt.)

At 10:10am he saw a big 8 pointer, but 55 yards away (too far for xbow).

No limp on the big 8 pointer, so that means it's 5 or 6 different bucks in 6 days hunting there in the same exact spot. I think maybe he should not even hunt there tomorrow and just wait for Saturday and go in with the shotgun, while I hunt our new property that he bought. If he doesn't want to hunt there Saturday, I will!

11/17: This is getting nuts. Dad went back to the 3 acre spot we have access to hunt dark to dark.

At 7:25am he saw a doe.

At 7:35am he saw a buck (4pt.)

At 10:10am he saw a big 8 pointer, but 55 yards away (too far for xbow).

No limp on the big 8 pointer, so that means it's 5 or 6 different bucks in 6 days hunting there in the same exact spot. I think maybe he should not even hunt there tomorrow and just wait for Saturday and go in with the shotgun, while I hunt our new property that he bought. If he doesn't want to hunt there Saturday, I will!

So I talked to my dad tonight. He's going to stay out of the woods tomorrow. I'm in a real a dilemma for opening day Saturday. I never thought I wouldn't be hunting the new land he bought on opening day of gun, but he has seen 6 different bucks at our old spot. I don't know what changed there. Could be a few things: he doesn't hear the neighbors big Rottweilers outside anymore, could be the construction going on about 1/4 mile away pushed all the deer to our spot, who knows.....he wants me to go there with him Saturday to try for 1 of the bigger bucks (2 different 6s and 2 different 8s). Of course, it sounds great but I don't know if I should go separately to our new land, who knows what might be there. I tagged out there opening day of xbow. Got 2 more night to sleep on it.......as my Dad said, we can always hunt our new land since he owns it. But our old spot for many years will be gone soon. The old lady died and her family is selling the house and then most likely our access is gone. The 8 acres already went down to 3 because of construction so this could be the last ever year there.

U guys with multiple spots to hunt, idk how you choose! Lol. I've only hunted 1 spot every single opening day.

Id say follow the sign biz! You know whats been moving on your property, so unless your liking your chances there id go with the other property. 

Haven't checked cams in over a week at new property. Maybe I'll do the morning at old property and afternoon at new property. Though I really hate not being in the woods all day, especially on opening day when people start moving early and pushing deer unknowingly

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Haven't checked cams in over a week at new property. Maybe I'll do the morning at old property and afternoon at new property. Though I really hate not being in the woods all day, especially on opening day when people start moving early and pushing deer unknowingly

Maybe your father can check the cams tomorrow mid day so you have an idea? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thought about that, but rather him stay out day before opening day.

How far apart is the 3 acres and your land? Maybe a quick ride to the property to check cams and if you don't like what you see, you could drive back. Either way who ever hunts that 3 acre piece will have a deer down come saturday! Im pulling for your father to get that large 8

How far apart is the 3 acres and your land? Maybe a quick ride to the property to check cams and if you don't like what you see, you could drive back. Either way who ever hunts that 3 acre piece will have a deer down come saturday! Im pulling for your father to get that large 8

About 20min drive. He wants me to get one of the big ones, that's how he is. He doesn't care at this point if he doesn't get one. He just wants to be there with me. That's why I was hoping he got it before gun season started. I'll probably just give in and go with him to old property and see what happens. If no deer seen by like 12, head to the new spot.

About 20min drive. He wants me to get one of the big ones, that's how he is. He doesn't care at this point if he doesn't get one. He just wants to be there with me. That's why I was hoping he got it before gun season started. I'll probably just give in and go with him to old property and see what happens. If no deer seen by like 12, head to the new spot.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds like a great game plan! Can't beat hunting with your father. Wish you both the best of luck. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of you with a deer down. 

• Like 1

I agree...made the decision to hunt closer to home this opener and skip camp....haven't hunted with my buddy in years...so my dad and I will be heading out with him tomorrow morning....not always about the deer we shoot....but deff about the memories we make!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I agree...made the decision to hunt closer to home this opener and skip camp....haven't hunted with my buddy in years...so my dad and I will be heading out with him tomorrow morning....not always about the deer we shoot....but deff about the memories we make!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perfectly said!

Hunt with your dad Biz. 

• Like 2

11/19: today was my 17th straight gun opening day. My dad's 50th straight.

Anyway, went to the old spot. Heard more shots than ever, but no deer seen. I gotta think the neighbors got a few of the nice bucks my dad has been seeing there. Of course, it happens this way, sucks. Anyway, probably didn't help that yotes were in our area. Dad saw 2 big ones and missed one 845am. I saw them after my dad shot and tried a bark to stop them and it work, but they were behind heavy brush and around 100yds so I didn't bother taking a shot with the shotgun. My dad wasn't lying about buck rubs everywhere. Anyway, we left at noon and came to our new property, cams haven't showed much activity lately. I'm back in the blind that I shot my xbow buck from. Not sure what to do tomorrow & Monday. All those close shots at the old spot make me think some of those bucks are gone.

8c754ca069d236ed01bd2dd1e70ca6e6.jpg

179665f5c342d1e75c2e4324dfeef849.jpg

• Like 1