Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Set up in a blind on a fitted cornfield...what a muddy mess. We watched a longbeard and 4 hens go to roost last night around 8:00. He gobbled a few times on the roost but has been quiet the past half hour. Just had a hen leave the roost a few minutes ago. They have been in this field every morning. Guess we have to be patient and do some light calling.

Just shot my first turkey ever! A Jake came in silently at 6:10 this morning, right to my decoy. I was set up in a large oak forest. Walking out around 6:30 I spooked a hen off the roost.

Now I can focus my attention on a mature gobbler to fill my second tag. 6:40 and I was home drinking coffee! What a day!

• Like 15

Things got off to a poor start this morning and then proceeded to go downhill.

So, there hasn't been a bird near the house in over  year. All the action has been in a far flung corner of the property. Until this morning of course. All the local Turkey decided to roost on a trail into the woods near my house. I bust them all out of their roosts as I pass by and watch them fly off into the deep woods. After that I got very wet. Rain never eased off. No gobbling, no action.

End of day one. Got commitments this morning.

Just before dawn we heard an ATV and saw lights in the field to the North of us. It's at the bottom of the hill and a ways away. I had to take a leak so I wandered over to where I could look over the field. They parked their ATV right at the edge of the woods where the birds normally roost, on the other side from us. Wonder if that would have disturbed them. Haven't seen or heard anything at all.

Had good action again this morning, bumped one off his roost but the othe three stayed. I did the fly down and they cut loose right above our heads. Two toms and a jake flew down, the jake was closest and the boy took a crack and missed again. I think it was just a bit too far for his 20, the birds just stood there and worked off. Lots of gobbles on the roost all around then nothing. Heading back out with the blind in a bit, rain just started here.

• Like 1

Got out of work at 6:40 was in the woods by 7 saw a big bird in my back field got on the back side of the hedge row crawled 150yds on my belly poked out the other side to see him at about 10 ft swung up on him as he saw me and missed him with out touching a feather. Walked home crossed the road snuck up to the edge of a corn field saw 2 gobblers at 50 yds heading my way sat down and got ready they got to 30 yds behind some bushes and stayed there for 10 minutes. I sat there wishing I would have brought a call when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Looked to see a bunch of red heads 20yds to my right swung the gun around and dropped the front one. He's the first jake that I have killed in 15 years and I couldn't be happier what a fun morning. Now I'm soaked to the bone and heading to shower and then to bed. 53c7bf12b327dce7d5047ef969893236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

One came in to my hen/jake set up. No blind, just back up under a dry space under a big hemlock, not bad at all in the woods. When the rain let up a bit, this guy gobbled a couple times and came in. Eight-inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs, 22.6 pounds. Now to go after the big old slob with the long spurs...oh, and remember. Don't grab them by the legs until they are stone dead. That's my blood, not his. Rookie mistake.

post-245-0-85080300-1462117564_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-80905100-1462117575_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 13

fd10541c66f973ecc6b79e5dc5d37dd6.jpg91635e69cbd9139f5108a37b47a0523d.jpg last minute bird. We had a great hunt, my buddy missed and I was able to get him with a follow-up shot. There were two Toms with hens this one broke off and came to us. He put on a great show gobbling and strutting. 1" Spurs beard is 7.5". My friend can go after that other one tomorrow
  • Like 15

Had a successful hunt this morning! Thankfully, we each had a blind to sit in in two different fields. Around 6:10 I saw 5 birds in front of my friends blind, so I turned around to watch the action unfold. After 10 minutes it looked like his birds were moving off, so I turned around to watch my own field. There 2 turkeys there! I put the binoculars up and saw one was a hen, the other a Jake. Both were moving in my direction. 30 seconds later a third bird -TOM - comes walking up too. I waited until they were in range and just as there were, both male birds were standing inches apart. I had to wait until they separated or risk shooting both of them at the same time. The Tom moved closer and I let one fly. MISS! He took off and was in the air within seconds. Young Jake stood around, so I pumped in another shell and knocked him down.

Just after my fist shot, my friend in the other blind shot at a Tom, as those birds moved closer to his blind while I was working mine. He had a clean miss, so we will both be out looking to score again as soon as possible.

It was a fun day in the rain!post-3175-0-26809600-1462125029_thumb.jp

Edited by Otto
  • Like 11