Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Wow, not 5 min later here he comes "stalking" right down the middle of the trail with his bow... Fricken 7:30 and he was still gobbling , what the hell is he pokin around for.... Told him once he's gobblin good and getting closer , SHUT UP! Didn't seem to understand that ! 10 note yelpin at him every time he gobbled ... Needless to say I am elsewhere now and he lives for another day... Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good action again this morning. Had two answer me right off. I set up at a plowed field. Hens flew down, and of course two toms followed. After about 20 mins of hopelessly trying to lure on of the toms closer to me, I noticed a bird still on the roost. I got the glass on it and sure enough, another tom. He sat there another ten minutes or so, and finally joined the party. Funny. They finally moved over a crest and I decided to try to move around and call from a couple other spots. No luck tho, Short day, I was done by 8.

Day three and not a peep.

When they're hot, they're hot..., and when they're not, it sucks!

Keeps me interested...

dang. I would have bet the house you would have knocked one down first day or two with your pics leading up til season. Side note re: pics. Any fox pups on cams yet ?

dang. I would have bet the house you would have knocked one down first day or two with your pics leading up til season. Side note re: pics. Any fox pups on cams yet ?

Haven't seen the pups out yet either.

I hung a cam on my way out today to check up on them.

Hit some public land from 10-12:00 today. Heard a gobble way off in the distance and drove to a place I could access. Walked into the woods and sat down to wait if he would gobble again. A minute later he startled me with a gobble 80yds off, unfortunately on the other side of a downed tree 40yds out. A few yelps and he came in quickly, but wouldn't cross the tree. I had a bead on his head but I'm not practiced at that distance. He sauntered off gobbling the whole time. Then a group of four jakes came through and did the same thing. Damn log!

That was probably the most exciting turkey hunt I've ever had.

What time do you go sit to listen for a bird on the roost?

• Like 2

They were gobblin like no tomorrow 6,7,8 in a row. They flew off the roost committed to my call and 5 jakes showed up. Let them pass with hopes a tom was near. No luck I think I might save one of those jakes for when my son comes out with me.

• Like 3

An animal packed afternoon scout.

So I head into the woods to check on a deer camera, after which I plan on going up the hill to peek into the neighbors field where Turkey congregate in the afternoon. I wanted to see if the big Tom made it. I bump a bachelor group of Buck before I get to the camera. It's nice to see 'em around but I always get annoyed when I disturb deer on my property.  Rather than push on and get the camera, I turn back on myself to go check on the field in the opposite direction. Within seconds I have wandered onto a flock of Turkey, again, in my woods. Typical.

This is almost certainly the local flock with the big Tom I wanted. I hope he is still alive. They walked into a stand of Hemlock and I couldn't see 'em through the binocs to check on age and numbers.

I look up and see a Turkey buzzard hovering above the flock. I press on up the hill to check on the field. A gas-line opens up and leads out to it. As I'm getting close I see another Buzzard swooping low, back n forth across the spot where the Turkey usually are. I had seen this on Saturday night, and the field was packed with Turkey. I get excited at the prospect of a possible second flock. As I'm walking I see what looks like two sticks behind a bump on the gas-line. I stop, creep closer and one of the sticks turns to look. At first I figured it was 2 hens sitting in the gas-line, but they didn't run off. Maybe they are injured I'm thinking, hence the Buzzards? As I get close  these two 'hens' hop up and fly off into the field. It was in fact two Buzzards laying low. Never saw this behavior before. I think they were waiting for Turkey, because there were none in the field. A 4th Buzzard was in a tree right by the field edge. It was a regular waiting party.

I take my peek, I notice the neighbor has a blind up in the sweet spot, just nestled into a stand of young Christmas trees. This is where I heard the morning shot from. My tactics are to try to intercept the Turkey when they go from woods to field. I am rarely successful. Neighbor always gets somethin. 

No Turkey around however. I head back to the house. On the way I look up, two buzzards have followed me and were hovering above me.

Makes a big difference from this morning. I hardly saw a squirrel !

Edited by Papist

Think I screwed the pooch on this one already , got here a little late as it was starting to glow out... Had a bird gobbling good walking in but I think he picked me off slippin through the woods even though he was probly a good 100 yds off... Hardly any green on the trees certainly hurt me this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk