Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

First day out for my son and I . Plenty of action could have shot a nice Tom @0730, but was hoping it would walk by my son who was 30 yds away. But you know how that goes. Anyway we had some jakes and hens come in at first light prior to that,then in for a bite and had a big boy come in @ 1030 but couldn't get a clear shot. So he walked off . Great day anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hunterdan44
  • Like 3

Im new to turkey hunting. I see some posts about people seeing birds at 9/10 am. My question is: do you sit in one spot the whole time or do you relocate after a certain amount of time? Assuming you havent seen or heard anything are you staying put or relocating? Thanks and good luck the rest of the way out!

Edited by diplomat019

Im new to turkey hunting. I see some posts about people seeing birds at 9/10 am. My question is: do you sit in one spot the whole time or do you relocate after a certain amount of time? Assuming you havent seen or heard anything are you staying put or relocating? Thanks and good luck the rest of the way out!

That depends if you have the land to move on, I usually move and did today at 7 am after sitting from 530 to 7 in a roost area.. after the birds leave I try and go to where they will show later.. fields if sun comes out after hard rain, a feeding area (lots of recent scratchings) they will come back to area after hens have left them if the heard your calling.. but that's a lot of wait and sit hunting.. it's a fine method, but I have always been more of a run and gun person..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Today I had 4 different locations that I encountered birds. I myself will not stay too long in one spot without hearing or seeing turkeys. I cover a lot of ground, but I will admit to taking up too early and spooking birds that are not vocal. It works for me and there are certainly other methods to employ , hope that helps good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one location to hunt. 70 acres and hour drive each way. So we sit in one spot and wait it out. 2nd day out we had 2 birds strutting out too far and hung up. Today being the 5th day we had 4-6 birds gobbling hard and hung up again , a little bit later 2 jakes and a hen came in silent. 1st, 3rd and 4th day we never heard a gobble. Obviously birds are there and didn't talk those days. They don't talk everyday. Not that 70 acres is much but I've tried moving on a gobbling bird in different part of these 70 acres and got busted both times by silent birds I didn't know were there.

As of the last many years I also have not encountered another hunter calling on neighboring property or tresspassing. I'd rather not hear a bird gobble than encounter that I've seen a few guys post saying some dumb arse messed up their hunt. That's gotta suck. Glad to have free reign of hillside we hunt. Everyone hunts differently , wether it be run n gun , sit all day. There is no wrong style

If I had the writing ability to put this morning in words, you absolutely would not believe it. In a VERY small nutshell, I had a pair of adults inside of 40 yards for a good portion of 4 (four) hours. I had a head pass by at 25 yards and couldn't get on him due to too thick of a spot. All morning I was in crappy spots because of posted land/neighbor relations etc. I moved three times over 600 yards and they'd come to each spot. I had two at 40 or less yards and a couple branches were in the way. I THOUGHT they'd come 6" more but no dice.....

Another spot they were going absolutely crazy, gobbling to motorcycles, cars, crows, gun shots et. I couldn't get them to come into the precise spot I needed.

Maybe I can get them figured out better in the morning; I have a plan. :)

• Like 8

The only wrong way to hunt turkey is to forget they may be dumb, but they sure seem to be smarter then us at times.

The area I am hunting doesn't have a lot of places to set up in. It's real thick and public land, so moving too much isn't a big option.

!%#&@^# moved up to Ridge I know they work during day got to top hit crow call to see if on other hill 2 gobbles down side of hill I figured almost to bottom....went to get over side and sit and spooked them...way way closer than I thought....oops.....

On a good note the kids eyes got about the size of softballs when it happened

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Not a shot or sound yesterday in 9f. Haven't heard a gobble since opener here. Did half day here then drove to franklinville yesterday around 10. Of course, at 1130 3 birds start gobbling. I split the difference but they weren't coming in. Had to stay close to home today in 9f. Still no gobbles here

post-1397-0-59941900-1462709919_thumb.jp

Shot a jake on Tuesday and this longbeard today at 6:15. Had my friend Zach (11) with me on his second turkey hunt. Heard some talk at 5:40 and a few gobbles. This guy showed up silent at the other end of the field and came into a single hen decoy. 25 yard shot w/ Mossberg 935 w/ #6 Longbeards ended his morning. Good luck to everyone still at it.

• Like 10

Not a bad way to start a youth hunter for me today....nothing early but round 7 hit the crow call and got a few gobbles...made a poor choice to try and close the gap and scared them...moved to a different spot around 730 jumped a hen out of a tree and another one setting up....all in all great hunt kids ready for next weekend already

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I went to a new spot in Leon yesterday, not a gobble, started walking and calling only to find some fresh scratching, set up and called in a lone hen! Damn not a single gobble and I had her calling non-stop looking for me for 1/2 hour, live decoy! If she can't get them to gobble how am I supposed to?

• Like 3

So close this morning in Sterling Forest State Park. About 6 jakes were roosted on a ridgeline and a mature longbeard was near them. His gobble is a little slower and deeper. I called him up to 60 yards and he hung up. A pesky hen showed up soon after---tomorrow!

Geeze, Bill, with all of those jakers around you should have a good crop of hard gobbling two year olds there next year !

Good luck in the morning..

• Like 1

Maybe I can get them figured out better in the morning; I have a plan. :)

My plan failed.........................if it was a war, I'd be waving the white flag.  :(

One step out of camp and I new it'd be tough, the wind was stiff!  Oh well, might as well continue with my plan.  I made a long sweep around the backside of where they should be roosting.  Everything went good on the approach and I sat down in the dark, waiting on the first gobbles. 

It was a long wait...........nothing on their own are even with my prodding.  Dang........nothing with the owl hooter or crow call, the new mouth call will have to do it.   CRAP, I left it in the truck!  At the end of the day yesterday I set it on the passenger seat of my truck while I guzzled water. 

I made a few swipes on the box and got nothing.  I hauled my butt up and out, grabbed the mouth call and stuffed it in my pocket.  Plan B............start hitting other known areas.  Heard three or four gobbles from a bird way to my north.  There was a deep ravine between us so I decided to go high and swing around to his side of the ravine.  Never heard the SOB again!

At one other spot I heard ONE gobble after a twenty minutes of walking and calling.  The problem is he gobbled to my CROW call, not one of my turkey calls!  A live crow had just drifted over my head and I thought I'd rock his world with a couple quick blasts.  Ha, the joke was on me when the turkey sounded off maybe 125 yards away. 

I stuck it out for thirty minutes without making a single call, thinking he may be coming in silent.  After the 30 minute wait I let rip with a few quiet slate calls.  Nothing.......  OK, mouth call.  Nothing..........

That my friends signaled the end of my weekend turkey hunting.  It was now about 10:00am and my dogs were barking.

• Like 2