Finally found my 10ML-II

rotorooter23

After a few years of searching for a Savage 10ML-II and not wanting to pay the 1,000 price tag they have come to be the past few years. I found one Saturday at the gun show in Syracuse for a very reasonable price. Could not be happier! I took the breech plug out and found everything to be pres tine. Only problem I had was getting the vent-liner out of the breech plug. The prior owner must have forgot to ant-seize the threads. Calling savage to get a new breech plug on order. My next test will to be to locate some IMR 4759 or some N110.

post-3773-0-57934000-1460980491_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Good for you, I've been looking for that or a nula and like you said sky high prices. I think Cecil at precision and a few others sell them perhaps cheaper .

Nice looking gun, you going to use .452 300gr xtps

After a few years of searching for a Savage 10ML-II and not wanting to pay the 1,000 price tag they have come to be the past few years. I found one Saturday at the gun show in Syracuse for a very reasonable price. Could not be happier! I took the breech plug out and found everything to be pres tine. Only problem I had was getting the vent-liner out of the breech plug. The prior owner must have forgot to ant-seize the threads. Calling savage to get a new breech plug on order. My next test will to be to locate some IMR 4759 or some N110.

That's neat!  Like Skillet's recent score, cool when you get what you want after some searching.

Consider trying some of the Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain bullets, they've been tremendous out of mine and my buddies NULA smokeless guns, pushed by SR 4759.

Either way, keep us posted on progress.

• Like 2

That was a good price I have had one sense 2005,try soaking the plug overnight in breakfree or something like that it will sometimes

free up the vent.

Giving that a shot. We have had it soaking for 2 days in liquid wrench. hopefully today she will break loose. If not, I may be doing some searching because when I called Savage about replacing the breech, they stated they do not have anymore and are not sure if they are making a batch this year.

That's neat!  Like Skillet's recent score, cool when you get what you want after some searching.

Consider trying some of the Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain bullets, they've been tremendous out of mine and my buddies NULA smokeless guns, pushed by SR 4759.

Either way, keep us posted on progress.

Thanks Law, which sabot are you shooting with the Parker BE's? I think I am SOL with the SR 4759. I do have some Accurate 5744 which I am hoping will do the job also some Blackhorn 209. I have seen your Nula and what a beautiful gun it is. Have you liked the smokeless so far? 

http://www.prbullet.com/s-breech.htm

I'm not a fan of Cecil's but looks like he makes a breech plug for the savage and has vent liners too.

I think there are a couple of guys over on Dougs message board that make them too.

Thanks! I will look into this. appreciate the help

Hope you run into something like I did!

Edited by rotorooter23

which load are you shooting? I see you are not far from me! I'm over in Cortland.

Oh yea, we're neighbors!

I use N120 (60 grains) with 300 grain Barnes Originals.

I don't think that powder is still available, but thankfully I have a couple pounds left.  I'll have to try something else when I run out.

• Like 1

the PRs were not impressive for terminal performance and friend had the similar issues (though jacketed) with the 275s

I have seen totally different results,Most deer Ive shot are DRT or within 20 yard.The farthest I had one go was a small doe and she only went 60-70 yards.The holes they make are impressive.The last big deer I shot with it went 185

I have seen totally different results,Most deer Ive shot are DRT or within 20 yard.The farthest I had one go was a small doe and she only went 60-70 yards.The holes they make are impressive.The last big deer I shot with it went 185

I trust both sources and have read similar both pro and con on dougs board. I used to shoot ssts and had a number of successes but had one shrapnel on me and that was enough.

The Barnes I shoot are no longer made so I'd love to line the next one up but like anything on the web- the reviews are vast out there so I try to keep em from people I knkw