Recommend a replacement rangefinder

My redfield ranger bit the dust (not sure why but very inconsistent readings even at short distances and yes I cleaned it and changed the battery). So I need a replacement. Looking to spend less than $150. Thinking about the Bushnell Bone Collector RF for $135 on amazon. I like that it uses a 9v, has good optics, purportedly good low light readings and is rainproof. I am not very concerned about accuracy beyond 400yds as I never shoot that far. I use this mostly for archery. Thoughts? The Halos are all cheap, but not sure I like the brand.

I have a Bushnell I bought to use for golf many years ago. As well, zero problems with it.

Its funny how the RFs for golf tend to cost more than the ones marketed to hunters. Golfers must have more money or hunters are cheaper. lol. Thanks, really leaning towards the Bushnell. Doesn't have angle compensation, but not really sure that's needed.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Its funny how the RFs for golf tend to cost more than the ones marketed to hunters. Golfers must have more money or hunters are cheaper. lol. Thanks, really leaning towards the Bushnell. Doesn't have angle compensation, but not really sure that's needed.

It's also funny you mention the "golf" versions are more expensive. I manage a golf store and have noticed the price difference   We do have a Nexus Precision Pro RF on sale for $169 right now but I'm honestly not familiar with this manufacturer

Mine doesn't have the angle compensation either. But I hunt mostly from the ground, so don't have many shot angles to worry about.

Plus, for bow, unless its a really steep hill, I haven't noticed much difference for the distances I shoot. If its that steep, just aim a bit low. My last RF didn't have ARC and I was still able to kill deer.

• Like 1

I have had the Nikon archers choice for about 6 years. Although no problems, I don't think I would get another. Its limited to 99 yards accurately and although I only use it during bow, sometimes its just nice to be able to know long distances. It does have a weird battery, however I have yet to change it. I think the angle compensation is minimal unless your shooting at extreme angles.

Presently own two of them. One is by Nikon and is their ProStaff Laser 440, very nice unit, had this one for almost 10 years now. I keep that one in my turkey vest. Last fall I picked up a

Bushnell "Archers Choice" unit by Primos with their Arc technology. Using this one mainly for treestand hunting with the bow. Like them both.

not sure if others have noticed but when you shoot to say 400 yards your rangefinder should be capable out farther.  I had a Bushnell that went to 600 and 450 for "non-reflective" targets but it was more like half the max distance or less.  I think the Bushnell was good for critters to just over 200 yards.  it was a real pain getting readings that farther.  My Nikon now is good to 1000+ yards for reflective and despite not shooting that far it gets readings at say 400 a lot quicker or easier for something like a deer.  something to consider I guess.

I have the bushnell chuck adams model with angle compensation and it works very well. I would check on the Mike Waddell version as it has naglecompensation and can be had for about 135 on amazon.

BTW check and see if redfield can warranty yours. Its worth a shot.

I can't remember the model name/number but I had a Bushnell for a few years now and it's worked great. This last season I noticed their was debris inside the rangefinder. I sent it in to have it fixed. They told me the model is discontinued and out of warranty (Bushnell only offers a one year warranty on its rangefinder). They offered to repair it for $25 or offer me a discount on one of their newer models. I literally just ponied up for the Primos model with the ARC. Got off the phone with them, opened up HuntingNY, and saw this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen. I may have a line on a very good deal for the Bushnell Bone Collector RF. Should work fine and for the price, if it lasts at least 3-4 years, it will be worth it.

3-4 years...you should get at least that.  The one I had was the equivalent of the Bone Collector it lasted me 4 years and all it was were some debris that got on the inside.  Didn't mess with it's function.  I just didn't like seeing a few dirt spots when I look though it.  Bushnell's warranty for range finders is only a year but they were willing to fix it for $25.  I simply decided I'd take their advantage of upgrading on a discount.

I have a Nikon 440, I've had it for at least 10 yrs? never had any problems, I don't think I've even had to change the battery! OK maybe once? It doesn't have angle compensating but i just range a tree straight out from my tree stand and use that yardage. Out of curiosity i check the base of the same tree to see how much difference there is and its is never more that 2-3 yards different.  I take it with during turkey season only to check for 40 yard circle around me, then I make a mental note so I know I can shoot if and when a bird is within range. I don't remember what I paid but I'm sure I got it on sale around $150.

My redfield ranger bit the dust (not sure why but very inconsistent readings even at short distances and yes I cleaned it and changed the battery). So I need a replacement. Looking to spend less than $150. Thinking about the Bushnell Bone Collector RF for $135 on amazon. I like that it uses a 9v, has good optics, purportedly good low light readings and is rainproof. I am not very concerned about accuracy beyond 400yds as I never shoot that far. I use this mostly for archery. Thoughts? The Halos are all cheap, but not sure I like the brand.

I have the bushnell bone collector. The first one I oredered had a broken battery connector. I sent it back to Amazon immediately and they exchanged it. The second one worked great knowing it's a base model. It is hard to see in the dark due to the image displaying in black. It not having range compensation has caused me to miss a few steep shots when shooting down a steep ridge. But overall it is a good rangefinder for the money. I would recommend it if angle compensation is not important to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk