Back to the Civil War camp

it'd be cool to find something bigger and better but it looks like it was still time well spent.  never cared for history back in school, but American history is a different story and local history is entirely different.  I've got an old musket that is no longer functional coming to me.  it's been passed on down to the first born son or grandson if need be.  forget how far it goes back.

• Like 1

it'd be cool to find something bigger and better but it looks like it was still time well spent. never cared for history back in school, but American history is a different story and local history is entirely different. I've got an old musket that is no longer functional coming to me. it's been passed on down to the first born son or grandson if need be. forget how far it goes back.

That's awesome man. I didn't care too much for history in school either but now Im fascinated by it. Especially the Civil War. So hard to imagine a time in America where we were killing one another. Very intriguing to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

it'd be cool to find something bigger and better but it looks like it was still time well spent. never cared for history back in school, but American history is a different story and local history is entirely different. I've got an old musket that is no longer functional coming to me. it's been passed on down to the first born son or grandson if need be. forget how far it goes back.

I could kick myself for not paying more attention in history, civics, etc. kids are idiots and I was no exception lol
  • Like 1

Gettysburg is my favorite place to visit - Devil's Den and Little Round Top are my favorite locations on the battlefield. 

General/President Eisenhower's farm is one of the sites of the Confederate encampments - need to take a bus tour from the visitor's center to visit his house.

In college, did a work project on the battlefield to clean up brush and trash around some of the older monuments that are not as common to visit.  Gloves required for the multi-floral rose and green briars.(and a bit of poison ivy).

If you really want to see it - hike the battlefield.  There is an award for scouts visiting there.  No map,  you get a starting point map, a list of directions to follow by compass and yards to travel.  bearings are off of monuments to have to locate.  It was actually fun.  You visit areas most people don't see from cars/buses, and you can really appreciate the distance that Pickett's troops had the cover in the open - you can't see the sunken road from either-sides lines.

if you want to find items to keep, then you need to work with the farmers on the bordering properties of the National Park.

FYI.  Custer led a cavalry unit at Gettysburg and he has a monument there in an out-laying area to east the main National Park property.

• Like 1