Google, carmakers join forces to speed self-driving car adoption

EspressoBuzz

If they make it that you can take control or not then I see it as a great new tech. I'd let it drive me between the Tappan Zee and whatever exit on the Adirondack Northway I was going to that weekend and be happy to drive the rest.

Ain't no glory driving the interstate after a certain age.

I have no idea how it would handle all the variables of negotiating the heavy snows (some of which should not be attempted by any kind of ground-traction vehicle). But I think it is a great idea. I spent a lot of decades commuting around 40 miles (each-way) in all kinds of weather, and in the company of all kinds of idiots stalking the roads, and the romantic aspects of driving left me a long time ago. I would have been very happy to have reliable technology take over that aspect of my life. I would have had a couple more hours of sleep every day so I could have stayed awake longer at home and actually got something useful done instead of babysitting and piloting a pile of steel-on-wheels through the countryside.

• Like 2

Just another way of big brother watching you , but I would say the biggest down fall would be the states would lose out on a tremendous amount of money . No more tickets for speeding , accidents, general trafic violations etc . Think about the money the courts would loose no more court fees .

I say again, lazy. If you are mentally or physically unable to drive a vehicle, then you should not be driving! This isn't the frikin 'Jetsons'.

The flip side of this is:

If you can't keep up with the traffic flow...

If you camp in the left lane causing traffic behind you to slow down...

If you rubberneck at accidents or activity on the other side of the road...

If you find changing lanes challenging...

If you feel compelled to slow down to 55 in a 65 zone because you see a cop on the side of the road...

If you have trouble staying in the lane because your cell phone conversation/texting is more important...

Or one thousand other things that slow down traffic and cause accidents...

Then you should not be driving.

I am not a complete fan of the self-driving car concept for other reasons. To get rid of the horrible drivers on the road and get to my destination in considerably less time (even when I am tired or want to have a drink with dinner), I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Thing is - it _should_ be the Jetson's by now. I want my flying car.

• Like 1

I say again, lazy. If you are mentally or physically unable to drive a vehicle, then you should not be driving! This isn't the frikin 'Jetsons'.

If the tech works it'll save lives. Not sure when the last time you drove any distance but the amount of young kids texting and driving is terrifying.

I wouldn't mind a nap on a long drive up to the daks. Get off your high horse.

• Like 2

Drivers have had it so rough these past few decades....

I can only imagine how much work it was to drive before all these technological break throughs.

- sattelight  radio

- televisions

- rear bumper cams

- ABS

- P/S- P/W- P/M- P/L

- AWD

- GPS

- A/C

- Heated seats

- side mirror defrosters

- air bags

- automatic seat belts

- zone temperature control

- crumple zones

- direction signals

- horns

- road sensing suspension

- automatic transmissions

- key fab door lockers

- windshield wipers and blue joooice

- all weather radials

- synthetic oils

I'm sure I left a ton out, but don't forget the most important "Jetsons-age" innovation.....

*******  IDIOT LIGHTS and cup holders!

I can think of no other reason why America is becoming a nation of fat LAZY people....rob!

Where the hell have you been?

The damned things practically drive themselves already in case you haven't noticed. Don't think because you turned a few dials and punched a few buttons you get the crown of "Mr Motivation".... good grief!

• Like 1

I just read about a new system out of  Texas.It works off of your cell phone. You hook it up to your preferred firearm and set it in a deer blind. You can set the sex and size of the deer you're hunting.  This system recognizes the specs, you selected and will automatically  detect the deer you're looking for. It will shoot the deer and then notify you of the kill by text. the initial cost is like $1000 plus a monthly ap. But what the hell?? 

It would be nice to be able to buy a car without a lot of expensive technology and government mandated upgrades.  The cost of new cars rises with each of these things.  Plus, the technology tends to be defective when it hits the used car market for those who can't afford a new car.

There will also be massive lawsuits when it fails and someone is killed, further increasing the costs of the car and it's insurance, passed on to consumers.

You may be willing to trust your life to mindless technology, but I'm not.

• Like 1

You really think it was staged and someone stood there purposely to get run over? I don't give a crap who the video was posted by

http://time.com/money/3896931/volvo-self-parking-accident/

And that's why the media has this country by the neck. You see something and don't care at all about the facts, and you just react. This is a youtube video in a foreign country. I'm not stating it's staged, but this could be a startup trying to piggy back off google. It could be a remotely driven car. We know none of the facts, but you've just concluded that all self driving cars in beta programs are the devil off of a single clip?

Even a few self-driving cars getting in accidents are still better than the 10's of thousands of accidents by human driven cars. The fear stems from lack of control. It's the same reason people are afraid to fly eventhough statistically you're FAR more likely to be in a car crash. Someone feels if they're in control then they're safer. As someone who rides a motorcycle I can assure you that I'm a safe biker. But that doesn't remove the idiots from the road who could kill me at any given time as they check their facebook status driving down the highway. I am all for those idiots having a computer drive their car. Computers run our grid, they run our banks, they run our defense systems, they're everywhere in our factories making us more efficient and safer. That's because they don't get stressed, they don't get distracted, they don't get tired and they don't have emotion. The company I work at now uses GPS to guide missiles. If we can do that, we can guide cars. Just think about all the things computers do for a second before you lose your mind about one driving a car.

I would like to buy a basic pickup with a straight six engine, standard shift, 4WD that I need to lock the hubs, no carpet inside, no A/C or P/W & P/L's or any other powered stuff.  A real work truck that has nothing not needed to get the job done.  And priced accordingly.

Today, trucks are made for luxury.  I want one my muddy boots and overalls won't offend!  one that won't make my wallet groan paying for extras I don't want.

Seems the only way I can get one is by buying an old one in decent shape and restoring it to like new condition.  Believe it or not, it still saves me about $10K over the cost of a new one.

• Like 1

Do any of you know how many cars out there now are drive by wire? The backbones for all of this are already in most of the cars out there, you just dont realize it.

As far as "big brother watching you" goes. Your already driving around with GPS enabled devices in your pockets. If they want to track you, they are already doing it. Self driving cars arent a step in any government control direction.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, the fight against technological progress is a losing battle.

I wouldnt mind the things as long as they give you the option to drive yourself if you wish.

• Like 2