Google, carmakers join forces to speed self-driving car adoption

EspressoBuzz

I too would like something simple to get around with but then I'd have to stop every time the engine drops a steaming load on the road, or needs water, or oats. Then there are all those animal activists yelling at you because you're late and you whipped the beast, just a little, but someone saw it and now they are camped on your front lawn hold signs, AND when your done you can't even pack it off to the glue factory oh no, it's a "retirement farm" upstate somewhere.......

• Like 1

I would like to buy a basic pickup with a straight six engine, standard shift, 4WD that I need to lock the hubs, no carpet inside, no A/C or P/W & P/L's or any other powered stuff. A real work truck that has nothing not needed to get the job done. And priced accordingly.

Today, trucks are made for luxury. I want one my muddy boots and overalls won't offend! one that won't make my wallet groan paying for extras I don't want.

Seems the only way I can get one is by buying an old one in decent shape and restoring it to like new condition. Believe it or not, it still saves me about $10K over the cost of a new one.

What does that have to do with self driving cars?

I'll pass

• So far, the car has issues that would prevent it from driving in snow, ice or heavy rain.
  • It’s unable to tell the color of traffic lights when sensors are blinded by sun or glare.
  • Sensors detect objects as pixelated shapes, so hypothetically, the car would respond the same way – by swerving – to miss a child in the road, or a newspaper that was floating past.

One of these problems Google faces is the adaptability of the mapping system. The maps used by these cars aren’t like those you see in your GPS unit or on Google Maps. Each map is highly detailed down to the height of the curbs, and the dimensions of the lane the car is currently traveling in.

The problem with this level of detail is the enormity of mapping the entire country – or the world. Currently, Google has mapped approximately 2,000 miles of road for the driverless car to operate on. To give you an idea of scale, there are more than 170,000 miles of road in California alone, and over 4-million miles of public road in the United States.

The reason the cars have performed so well in their initial 700,000 mile test is largely due to the fact that the cars get to “cheat” in the way in which they respond to their environment. That is to say, each car isn’t making decisions in real-time on how to respond to external stimuli, and Google hasn’t tested the car’s ability to respond to situations outside of these mapped environments. Of course, this is a problem that could – at some point – correct itself to an extent, as each Google Car on the road isn’t just driving, it’s also helping to create 3D maps for other autonomous cars by charting data.

• Like 1

What does that have to do with self driving cars?

Simplicity, self reliance, dependability, ease of repair, low cost, proven track record, durability...... All things new technology, especially computer driven cars, are lacking.

I prefer reliable simplicity to complicated technology.  I work on my own vehicles, up to the point of the technology that prevents it.  That gives me a sense of comfort.  I would have even more comfort with a vehicle that has very little, or no technology that can't be easily fixed or depended on.

I've also heard that computers in cars can be hacked and taken over.  I'm not cool with that.

Any of you guys know what an EMP is?  If, for whatever reason, an EMP effects this land, your newer cars filled with technology, will be useless and beyond repairable.  My old pickup will be fine.  And if you think that's not something to worry about, call the state department of homeland defense and ask them if it's a real threat.  BTW, the same goes for your gun safe if it has an electronic lock.  Mine does not.

Believe what you like, but I think it's better to have some foresight, just in case.  I'm not losing anything and possibly gaining a lot, without it costing me anything.

• Like 1

Simplicity, self reliance, dependability, ease of repair, low cost, proven track record, durability...... All things new technology, especially computer driven cars, are lacking.

I prefer reliable simplicity to complicated technology. I work on my own vehicles, up to the point of the technology that prevents it. That gives me a sense of comfort. I would have even more comfort with a vehicle that has very little, or no technology that can't be easily fixed or depended on.

I've also heard that computers in cars can be hacked and taken over. I'm not cool with that.

Any of you guys know what an EMP is? If, for whatever reason, an EMP effects this land, your newer cars filled with technology, will be useless and beyond repairable. My old pickup will be fine. And if you think that's not something to worry about, call the state department of homeland defense and ask them if it's a real threat. BTW, the same goes for your gun safe if it has an electronic lock. Mine does not.

Believe what you like, but I think it's better to have some foresight, just in case. I'm not losing anything and possibly gaining a lot, without it costing me anything.

You realize the irony of everything your saying as you discuss this on a hunting website through a computer... Back in the day we'd be chatting about bucks in a bar... Yet here we are.

• Like 1

You realize the irony of everything your saying as you discuss this on a hunting website through a computer... Back in the day we'd be chatting about bucks in a bar... Yet here we are.

There aren't many bars geared towards the outdoors anymore, at least in my area. And who goes to the few that are left? You buy your 6 pack or w/e, go home, fire up the phone, other device, or PC/Mac and type. It's mainly social media.

Why? It's easy.

It also allows the anti's to get involved without talking their BS face to face.

• Like 2

What irony?  I use what I can.  But if the entire internet went down forever, which it may someday, I'll still be able to drive my old truck to the bar.

To me, the internet and computers are a needless luxury.  But they're free to me, so who cares.  I won't miss them at all if they go away.

• Like 1

I just had a thought.  How many of you guys would buy a rifle that shoots by itself?  If it did everything for you when hunting after you put it to your shoulder, like align the cross hairs for the perfect shot at any range and even knew if there was a twig in the way, while it set off the round at the perfect time to make a perfect heart shot, would you want it?

Would you feel completely confident that it's reliability was absolutely certain when the shot at the trophy buck of a lifetime presented itself?  Would you trust it after it had an accident and got banged pretty bad?  Would you count on it with total faith?

Not me.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

There aren't many bars geared towards the outdoors anymore, at least in my area. And who goes to the few that are left? You buy your 6 pack or w/e, go home, fire up the phone, other device, or PC/Mac and type. It's mainly social media.

Why? It's easy.

It also allows the anti's to get involved without talking their BS face to face.

Right.  And driving home from a bar these days can get you in big trouble.

WHOA, now there's a good question.  Will self driving cars be legal to operate when you're drunk?

Edited by Grouse

I can't say that I have any longing for the "good ol' days" when it comes to autos. I remember when a car that had 100,000 miles on it was a noteworthy miracle. I remember my Dad having to park at the top of a hill in the winter and hoping that the family car started by the time it hit the bottom when he popped the clutch. I will say that driving was a challenge and a lot of luck. So auto technology has brought us a long way in terms of reliability. Today, I don't even think about whether any of my cars will start when I get into them. It wasn't always that way. And I will say that I would absolutely love to get into my "transport pod", type in or voice command my destination, and sit back and read the paper or catch a few winks. For me cars have always been simply a necessary means to get from point A to point B and absolutely nothing more. I have no romantic love affair with them or with piloting them around. It pretty much is a necessary pain in the neck.

• Like 1

Why? It's easy.

What irony?  I use what I can.  But if the entire internet went down forever, which it may someday, I'll still be able to drive my old truck to the bar.

To me, the internet and computers are a needless luxury.  But they're free to me, so who cares.  I won't miss them at all if they go away.

that's exactly my point. these things make our life easier. Without them the world still revolves around the sun, but we do evolve from the horse and buggy and the even the combustion engine. With them, they're nice to have. So it doesn't mean we have to be afraid of them. Btw, what's your secret for free internet?

Edited by Belo