GULP....... It Happened!

Cabin Fever

Laid off yesterday!! Still in shock!  :O  "The company is $2,000,000 over budget on a construction project, so we need to make some cuts." And that is MY fault for your piss poor planning?!?!?!?

Been steadily employed for the past 30+ years. Have never been on unemployment or without a job before in my life... fortunate I know.  

Had a funny feeling for months, so I've been looking for other work anyways. Sent out many resumes, but haven't had any bites. Pretty frustrating and depressing!

Just devastated (and drowning my sorrows)........ WTF..................................................................

Sorry to hear that. Don't beat yourself up over it. Keep your chin up and turn it into something positive. I know it's hard to see now, but sometimes things like this work out better for you in the end. Best of luck to you.

Been in your shoes a couple of times, mainly due to sagging economic conditions. It's really morally & mentally devastating at first. The general tendency is to beat yourself up over what has happened, but in the end you have to realize you're just a number or liability on the company's balance sheet. Once you pull yourself out of that funk, you'll realize life goes on and you'll find a way to endure! Hopefully some time in the future you'll look back and see this situation as a possible blessing in disguise. Hang in there dude, you'll survive and grow stronger!!!!

• Like 1

Was laid off a year ago this month. It was probably one of the best things that ever happened. Just keep plugging away and something will happen. Obviously you were employed for the last 30 years so you know what your doing. Good luck!

Laid off yesterday!! Still in shock!  :O  "The company is $2,000,000 over budget on a construction project, so we need to make some cuts." And that is MY fault for your piss poor planning?!?!?!?

Been steadily employed for the past 30+ years. Have never been on unemployment or without a job before in my life... fortunate I know.  

Had a funny feeling for months, so I've been looking for other work anyways. Sent out many resumes, but haven't had any bites. Pretty frustrating and depressing!

Just devastated (and drowning my sorrows)........ WTF..................................................................

Try ...   www.usajobs.gov ...   you never know !

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Haven't told anyone yet, other than my wife. Hate to tell the kids or other family members, as I don't want anyone to worry... Sucks!!

If anyone has any good job leads between Rochester to Syracuse (even down to Ithaca), PM me!  :rolleyes:

What line of work are you in?

The past 8+ years has been mainly Environmental, Health, & Safety. I've held many other positions and had a lot of experience over the past 30 years though...

- Environmental Regulatory Compliance (Working knowledge of several environmental permits, Ensure compliance to permits, Daily Site Inspections, Data Collection, Reporting, Permit Auditing, Sites point of contact for NYSDEC inspectors, Hazardous Waste Management, Soil & Water Sampling, Document Control & Record Keeping, etc...)

- Safety (OSHA standards enforcement, inspections, PPE, OSHA 29 CFR 1910 certification, Lead and ensure conformance to site's transition to new Global Harmonized System, Update and manage SDS's, etc...)

- Chemical Laboratory Technician

- Engineering Technician

- Calibration 

- Quality Assurance

- Process Development

- Internal Auditor 

- ISO 14001 Environmental Management System

- ISO 9001 Quality Management System 

- Research & Development

- Logistics

- Manufacturing (Chemical and Microelectronics)

- Troubleshooting

- Traveled to sites all over the world to qualify new equipment, material selection, meet with vendors, quality troubleshooting assistance, etc... 

Edited by Cabin Fever

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Haven't told anyone yet, other than my wife. Hate to tell the kids or other family members, as I don't want anyone to worry... Sucks!!

If anyone has any good job leads between Rochester to Syracuse (even down to Ithaca), PM me!  :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear, and good luck...

There has been an ongoing, major clean up operation going on to clean the polluted Onondaga Lake, in Syracuse. Its a long process and I can see it going on for quite some time. Im pretty sure they're hiring and with your resume you should perk some interest  to say the least.….Good Luck.

Sorry to hear that.  Same thing happened to me in Jan.  Only took about 6 weeks to get into a new job, with better pay, and right here near home.  Couple things to think about to help the search that helped me quite a bit

1.  Get a linkedIn profile going, and start building connections.  I had a few companies comment about using that to get a feel of who I was before contacting me.  Plus recruiters love searching for people there.  Make sure your description says something like "I am now in a position to bring my talents and skills to a new organization" so they know your looking

2. Look for recruiters in your field and reach out to them.  Keep in mind ~ 2/3 of jobs NEVER get posted publicly.  These recruiter are great for getting you connected to jobs you would never see otherwise.  Also remember, the EMPLOYER pays them to find you, never pay them a penny yourself.   

3. Get your resume professionally done, or at least reviewed.  You probably think you have it set, and it's really good already ( I did too) but if it looks like everyone else, or looks dated, or formatted poorly, you will not get the attention you need when employers see it. 

Bonus tip - look up real voice resumes and Pain letters.  They actually do make a difference.

4. You've probably done this already ( usually step 1 for most people) but get on the job boards and post your resume.  Career builder, Monster, Indeed, The Ladders, Zip Recruiter, Glass door, and all the rest.  If people can't find your resume, they will never call you!  Don't forget individual company web sites too.  Many will post on their own site for weeks before posting on job boards, which usually means a bit less competition.  For privacy sake, I made a new email address just for job searching, keeps thing better organized

Good luck, and hope these couple things give you a little help in finding the next better job.

The last wave of layoffs at my company took ~ 6000, following the 4000 from last year.  Those of us who landed better off than before we were let go, all followed ~ the same steps I outlined here.  And then there's the interview....

Cheers

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that.  Same thing happened to me in Jan.  Only took about 6 weeks to get into a new job, with better pay, and right here near home.  Couple things to think about to help the search that helped me quite a bit

1.  Get a linkedIn profile going, and start building connections.  I had a few companies comment about using that to get a feel of who I was before contacting me.  Plus recruiters love searching for people there.  Make sure your description says something like "I am now in a position to bring my talents and skills to a new organization" so they know your looking

2. Look for recruiters in your field and reach out to them.  Keep in mind ~ 2/3 of jobs NEVER get posted publicly.  These recruiter are great for getting you connected to jobs you would never see otherwise.  Also remember, the EMPLOYER pays them to find you, never pay them a penny yourself.   

3. Get your resume professionally done, or at least reviewed.  You probably think you have it set, and it's really good already ( I did too) but if it looks like everyone else, or looks dated, or formatted poorly, you will not get the attention you need when employers see it. 

Bonus tip - look up real voice resumes and Pain letters.  They actually do make a difference.

4. You've probably done this already ( usually step 1 for most people) but get on the job boards and post your resume.  Career builder, Monster, Indeed, The Ladders, Zip Recruiter, Glass door, and all the rest.  If people can't find your resume, they will never call you!  Don't forget individual company web sites too.  Many will post on their own site for weeks before posting on job boards, which usually means a bit less competition.  For privacy sake, I made a new email address just for job searching, keeps thing better organized

Good luck, and hope these couple things give you a little help in finding the next better job.

The last wave of layoffs at my company took ~ 6000, following the 4000 from last year.  Those of us who landed better off than before we were let go, all followed ~ the same steps I outlined here.  And then there's the interview....

Cheers

Great info and suggestions robw!! I've been planning on creating a LinkedIn profile for years, but just haven't done it yet. Looks and sounds confusing (Do this, don't do that, recruiters, etc...), so I've been procrastinating. Sounds like I gotta get it done though! I started looking at LinkedIn related books to order to help me out.

After seeing your comments, I started looking into having my resume professionally done also. I've had good feedback on my resume in the past, but considering my situation, I need it polished up. Going to make a couple calls today to inquire about resume services.

I've been checking out the job sites that you mentioned, but didn't consider posting my resume on there. I will get that done also!

Thanks again!

I'm off to call an attorney to review my severance offer... Fun, fun...

I went thru a similar situation some years ago, it helped me to think that my new job was finding a job. Do something each day to help further your search, maybe fine tune a cover letter, make follow-up calls, drop off resumes, network...Taking this approach kept me from getting down (too often) and just feeling sorry for myself.

• Like 1

Pick up the old fishing rod and take a day off and fish! Usually that clears my head and calms me down. Lets me take a step back from the situation and access what needs to happen. Just a man, his thoughts, and a fishing pole.

No time for that this week. Scrambling to get things (having professional resume service to polish up the resume, unemployment questions, job searching, etc...) squared away.

Guess I'll be clearing my head next week though. I previously booked a cruise for my 25 year wedding anniversary next week, so I'll be leaving for the Bahamas on Sunday for a week. Can't get my $ back for that, so we gotta go. THANK GOD I sprang for the "Cheers Beverage Package"!!! I have a feeling I'll be getting my moneys worth out of that....   :beach:   :drinks:  

I'll have PLENTY of time to worry and stress out when I get back.....  :(

• Like 1