Bagged one!

Rattler

Sitting around yesterday complaining about the rain, a friend advised me to come over to his place to shoot a bird.  Got there before dawn (and before the rain) and could hear about 6 different gobblers in the area, on both sides of the road that divides his property.  He told me to set up in a row of trees where he had some farm equipment stored.  I set up facing the north field, but two Toms and some hens flew into the big south field behind me.  

They were cavorting, with the two Toms in full strut out there, for about 1/2 hour, ignoring the couple of calls I made.  When they were all behind a rise in the field, I turned to face them with my back against a big tree.  One of the hens came my way and passed 50 yards to my left.  One of the Toms soon followed and looked right at me as he moved to my left about 50 yards out too.  The second Tom's head and neck crested the rise in the field at 40 yards and was looking at me as I lined the shotgun up on him.  I pulled the trigger and he dropped.  

He weighs 19 pounds, has a 7 inch beard and 3/4" spurs.  Not my biggest bird, but a nice one.  There are bigger birds there and I'll be holding out for the biggest one as I go for a second one soon.  I tagged the bird and got in my truck to leave just as it started to rain.  It was 7:30 AM.  A short, but memorable turkey hunt.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 11