Porcupines yea or nay?

Just shot an African version caught in a snare a few weeks ago.

300 WBY made a mess, plucked a bunch of quills for a souvenir, some close to 16" long. Skinner said he tasted fine.  

I had some roasted a few years ago by digging a hole and filling it with coals and burying it whole and ungutted, lets just say that was interesting.

I had some roasted a few years ago by digging a hole and filling it with coals and burying it whole and ungutted, lets just say that was interesting.

NOW it's all clear why you like Ted's Hotdogs so much.  :)

• Like 2

I'm not positive that I've ever seen a porcupine in New York State........PA, yes but NYS I don't think so.

Geeze, Larry, I remember the last LIVE one I saw.. He fed in the clover plot in front of my turkey blind for about an hour  opening day of NY turkey season..  I have seen several roadkilled since then..  We have lots of them around here.. Maybe I could crate up a few and send them up...

• Like 1

Geeze, Larry, I remember the last LIVE one I saw.. He fed in the clover plot in front of my turkey blind for about an hour  opening day of NY turkey season..  I have seen several roadkilled since then..  We have lots of them around here.. Maybe I could crate up a few and send them up...

Keep 'em; we've got rats, coons and skunks.  :)

• Like 1

that reminds me. About 20 years ago my brother box trapped a opossum that was getting into his shed. A guy at his work was notorious for being a jack arse and his vehicle an absolute mess. Burger king and Mickey D  wrappers and bags all over the bag seat 2 feet deep. Guess where that grinner went ?! Brother got wind of the guy talking about it 3 days later.

• Like 2

I once spotted a big one waddling across a cut off corn field while Woodchuck hunting, I let him have one from my 220 Swift at about 100 yards. The best analogy I can make when the bullet made impact is what happens when fireworks get up in the air at their apex and burst into a shower of sparkles. Quills in a porky seem almost loose and will come out very easy, when that Swift bullet hit the Porcupine broadside a huge amount of it's quills just went flying up in the air in all directions in spectacular fashion reminding me of fireworks.

Al

• Like 1

Please excuse me, because some of the members here have heard this story..

When I was in my late teens I had a sword fight with a porcupine underneath a junked car ..I was armed with the 18" Japanese bayonet that my Dad brought back from WWII, and the porky was armed with his natural defenses..

Suffice to say, I had to jab and parry  like crazy to keep him from filling my face with quills, and I made a quick retreat in reverse lying on my belly.

There is a good chance that alcohol was involved in that incident.  I can't remember for sure since it was about 50 years ago.

• Like 4

There is a good chance that alcohol was involved in that incident.  I can't remember for sure since it was about 50 years ago.

I once fell asleep under a car, while doing an oil change…No porcupines involved, but I think alcohol was...

• Like 3

I'm not positive that I've ever seen a porcupine in New York State........PA, yes but NYS I don't think so.

At one point I was doing quite a bit of work in the Catskills and they sure could make a mess of a job site.

Open brand new cans of paint, chew on hydraulic lines for the lift......could be a real PIA sometimes.

Had a good sized Black Bear waddle through one job and he had a face full of quills all swollen up, jeeze that looked painful.

• Like 1