Decoys or not

stoneam2006

Ok so I am taking a youth out for his first hunt sunday am...he was at scout camp for youth hunt so this is our first opportunity. I am not much of a turkey hunter and have never killed one...the land I am hunting I know better than anyone. I know where the birds roost and i know there's 2 sets of flocks. Now I'm looking for opinions on decoys should I use them or not. I don't have any and don't plan on spending much on them if you guys advise me to get them but I will get them if it will increase his odds...I will be able to set up 2 or 300 yards from roost spot and tuck in well...the land is. Hill should I be looking uphill or down or across toward the roost...I'm thinking up bc of where I believe they will fly off to... also I'm a new caller but have had spring birds anwser me just never sealed the deal. Should I call lightly once I hear the gobbles or wait it out a bit? Lot of questions in there hopefully some of you guys have insites....if I can get him on a bird it will be his first kill of any kind so gonna give it all I got

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok so I am taking a youth out for his first hunt sunday am...he was at scout camp for youth hunt so this is our first opportunity. I am not much of a turkey hunter and have never killed one...the land I am hunting I know better than anyone. I know where the birds roost and i know there's 2 sets of flocks. Now I'm looking for opinions on decoys should I use them or not. I don't have any and don't plan on spending much on them if you guys advise me to get them but I will get them if it will increase his odds...I will be able to set up 2 or 300 yards from roost spot and tuck in well...the land is. Hill should I be looking uphill or down or across toward the roost...I'm thinking up bc of where I believe they will fly off to... also I'm a new caller but have had spring birds anwser me just never sealed the deal. Should I call lightly once I hear the gobbles or wait it out a bit? Lot of questions in there hopefully some of you guys have insites....if I can get him on a bird it will be his first kill of any kind so gonna give it all I got

I would go with at least one decoy to put any interested birds in a predicted spot in front of the barrel and distract them from your set up. I would think a new youth hunters biggest mistake would be trying to follow an approaching bird around your set up until a shot presents itself. Much easier to just concentrate on that area around the deke and wait for the right shot to unfold. Set the fake up on the highest spot where a tom will seek out to be most visible to display.

As for calling, it's hard to say what the situation will be. I like to let them hit the ground first and try to determine which way they're headed.

If he's coming right to you, keep it super simple and light only when you feel it necessary to steer him to you. If he's heading away you're probably not gonna turn him back no matter what you throw at him, so that's entirely up to you how you want to handle that scenario. Sometimes it's just fun to see how fired up you can get them, and sometimes they just take off runnin' for the hills!

Good luck out there!

• Like 1

I'm not much of a turkey Hunter , oh I've killed a few but really don't know much other then going in the woods where I,know they are, and I go In around 9:00 , no way I'm getting up early ..... But that's another topic .

Years ago I'd take my daughter , but often they hung up out of range . A guy who is a good turkey hunt told me to sit behind her , 20 or 30 yards and call from there . Now When they hang up out of range from the caller they're in range of the shooter .

Not sure if you can leave the kid by himself , but that's worked for us .

Good luck !

• Like 1

I'm not much of a turkey Hunter , oh I've killed a few but really don't know much other then going in the woods where I,know they are, and I go In around 9:00 , no way I'm getting up early ..... But that's another topic .

Years ago I'd take my daughter , but often they hung up out of range . A guy who is a good turkey hunt told me to sit behind her , 20 or 30 yards and call from there . Now When they hang up out of range from the caller they're in range of the shooter .

Not sure if you can leave the kid by himself , but that's worked for us .

Good luck !

I completely understand that game plan as being effective, but I'm not sure it would be something I'd try with a new hunter.

It's easy to loose track of direction in the heat of the moment being a veteran on a shifty gobbler and I'd hate to see that shot opportunity present itself if a bird got between the shooter and caller without noticing it.

With a newbie or youth hunter, I don't think I would go with that approach, but that's just me trying to eliminate any chance of catastrophes in advance before they become life altering reality to an up and coming hunter. JMO.

• Like 1

I completely understand that game plan as being effective, but I'm not sure it would be something I'd try with a new hunter.

It's easy to loose track of direction in the heat of the moment being a veteran on a shifty gobbler and I'd hate to see that shot opportunity present itself if a bird got between the shooter and caller without noticing it.

With a newbie or youth hunter, I don't think I would go with that approach, but that's just me trying to eliminate any chance of catastrophes in advance before they become life altering reality to an up and coming hunter. JMO.

Yea maybe later in season I may try he's got a good head on him but don't know first thing about turkey hunting never been before...ever....I went and picked up licence decoy and more shells today so I'm ready for sunday....I know where the birds are and am going to try and slip in within a 150 or so and try and get one to fly down within range and get home early....here's hoping lol....

Actually in all honestly all I want is the birds to be vocal. This will be his first true experience watching the woods wake up and turkey hunting too so just seeing that and hearing that will probably be enough to get him to want to go back out...he turns 13 sat and dad don't hunt much except deer and my boys only 5 so glad to have him want to be out there

• Like 4

Yea maybe later in season I may try he's got a good head on him but don't know first thing about turkey hunting never been before...ever....I went and picked up licence decoy and more shells today so I'm ready for sunday....I know where the birds are and am going to try and slip in within a 150 or so and try and get one to fly down within range and get home early....here's hoping lol....

Actually in all honestly all I want is the birds to be vocal. This will be his first true experience watching the woods wake up and turkey hunting too so just seeing that and hearing that will probably be enough to get him to want to go back out...he turns 13 sat and dad don't hunt much except deer and my boys only 5 so glad to have him want to be out there

That's what it's all about!

Me and my sister hunted all last turkey season  and never heard a single gobble together.

I'm hoping we can at least fire one or two up for her between tomorrow and Saturday.

She's getting tired of looking at my pictures and then we never see or hear anything when she's with me,lol

That's just the way it goes.

• Like 1

Good luck man!!

I'll be out Sunday with my 13 year old son. His first hunt as well. I was outa town last two weekends. I also do not know what I am doing turkey hunting either!! I have dabbled but never serious or out before light, or roosted birds night before..... At least you know where some birds are roosting lol!!

I have a spot behind the inlaws that they have been seeing turkeys over the last 2 weeks so I may try to sneak in tonight with a crow call and see where they are roosting if not we may just go in cold.

• Like 1

Decoys sometimes seal the deal and sometimes may ruin it. I've killed birds without them and had birds hang up as the dekes didn't move to the gobbler as real hens should. Decoy(s) would be a good attention getter for the bird and like someone mentioned gives the youth a one spot focal point to concentrate on.

I would expect the birds to pitch downhill versus uphill off the roost. Get in tight but not too tight as the youth maybe a little restless more than yourself.

Hmmm, wait or call. I'm always confused on this too. Call very softly though, and don't overcall. Maybe even around the side of your leg. That bird will know within feet where you are. Look up "flydown call" and beat your hat against your leg like wings flapping together.

Side note: look up Woodthrush songs if you don't know what they sound like. The youth will love the watery call of them. They've been singing greatly lately.

He'll enjoy the "woods waking up" for sure and good on you for taking him. Good luck to you both and hopefully pics tomorrow.

• Like 1