Turkeys. Have you missed ?

turkeyfeathers

Uncle Nicky I can respect the fact you have a life, we all do. And yes all shots aren't slam dunks, some in fact are much harder n imo should prob be passed. If we're fairly often missing than the shots are too tough. We owe the game our best shot. Hope we can agree on that.

My point in saying it's hard to miss is it is when good shots are taken and to make anxious folks less so. It's only a shot, we need to be so confident in our abilities we know we can't miss or the shot is passed.,

The assumptions people make on this site are asinine, this goes to no one in particular btw. When I grew up no one offered any help or advice. Everyone's experiences is different n hence the difference types of advice given.

I've been at this game a long time n do not mind helping, especially newer folks. You guys need to stop assuming the worst in people. No one knows someone else's intent.

• Like 1

I have a friend he comes up from south Carolina every year to turkey hunt with me and in exchange takes me up to Ontario for salmon well this year he has missed three in a row and has fired seven shots while doing so  I think he just get over excited the shots are less the 40 yards everyone of them. and were not talking jakes nice mature long beards in open fields no brush he is just shaking from the excitement I love to call birds but i also like to see them being carried out once in the while

Great news he has pulled out to head home today so maybe the ones he has not scared to the next county will still come in to the calls lol

So I havent missed yet, but along with what pygmy says I've only shot 3 birds. I love deer hunting, but turkey is definatley a challenge for me. I think im about 8 seasons in with turkey and learn something new every year. I'd like to think I'm a decent deer hunter, but as a turkey hunter I still have much to learn. Not for nothing , but a miss will teach you things a hit never did.

• Like 4

Shooting over the top is a problem, especially when someone doesn't shoot a bunch. Sighting a shotgun requires sighting properly n practice both in shooting n just mounting/looking can help if that's an issue.

Another reason aiming for the wattles is good, sends shot above n below aim point if done correctly n gives a little lee way if you pick up your head. The forgiving patterns go a long way though you may have to give up some distance.

The reason I post this thread was because that morning I watched a hunting show on TV. Wasn't Turkey Thugs or Turkey Man but forgot the name. Guy plum missed, shot high, right over birds head. Not a difficult shot at all. His dad razzed him as he did the same thing the year before. And holy cow could this guy call on a mouth call. And thankfully he didn't try and shoot bird in strut for coverage. Taking my daughter out again and try to call in 2 birds we saw during youth hunt. I'll be stuffing heavi magblends as XR's way too tight inside my daughters guns range. I don't want to be posting about another miss and me be the one possibly messing up a potential double. Oh boy, actually it would be funny for her to razz me if it happened .

• Like 2