Mange

kpkot

Was turkey hunting Monday and saw the nastiest looking fox. By the color and missing fur at first I thought it was a small yote. My friend trapped a mangey fox this year on the property and burried him. Seems its spread to a few animals in my parts however.

Side story- 3 years ago my neighbor had a mangey fox come into his garage in daylight. HE went to get his 45 as this thing was walking funny and not right. By the time he came back into the garage it was gone. 1 month later his yellow lab was sick and missing hair. The dog got the mange. Vet said only one hair follicle can transmit the disease.

Anyone else seeing the mange around? Anyones pets ever got it?

Mange is one of nature's ways of controlling populations of some animals, notably red foxes and coyotes. I have never seen a mangey grey fox or coon, but lots of red foxes and coyotes.

The disease is nearly always fatal, at least to red foxes. It is a slow, agonizing death. the hair falls off and the skin literally rots away. I have seen several reds with maggots burrowing into the rotten flesh while the animal is still alive. If you shoot one that has the mange, you are certainly doing it a favor.

Dogs can contract mange, but in domestic animals it is easlly treatable. The wild critters have so such luxury.

• Like 1

Humans can also contract Mange by coming in contact with animals that have it. Mange is caused by tiny mites that burrow into the skin and cause severe itching. On animals the mites will thrive and reproduce eventually to the point of covering the whole body. On Humans they will not survive and reproduce but for the short while they are alive and active you will itch worse than having poison ivy. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

This time of the year season is hard to tell, where some animals are growing/changing their coats/fur.Also this is the time to be using some bug treatments fleas/ticks/flies and mites.

• Like 2

This time of the year season is hard to tell, where some animals are growing/changing their coats/fur.Also this is the time to be using some bug treatments fleas/ticks/flies and mites.

I agree with the changing of coats, but this guy was acting goofy too. Saw him at about 70 yards and he kept running 20 yards stopping looking around then another 20 etc. Most fox that see me high tail it and find cover, not run in a wide open field like its drunk.

I agree with the changing of coats, but this guy was acting goofy too. Saw him at about 70 yards and he kept running 20 yards stopping looking around then another 20 etc. Most fox that see me high tail it and find cover, not run in a wide open field like its drunk.

This time of the spring most fur bearers are and have Kits/pups so this would make any parent acting strangely look weird or off their rocker.