Starting kids off

Bowguy 1

On another thread there were guys mentioning picking up their heads while shooting. Made me think, to many keeping their head down is mandatory/normal/habitual.

To some it isn't. Sure practice helps but we gotta practice good habits.

It's now getting warmer n many parents may be ready to let their child shoot for the first time, this is where habits start. Imo they should be dominant eye tested and taught to shoot dominant eye not dominant hand.

They should learn proper mechanics, stance, head position and each time made sure gun is mounted properly. . So the gun needs to fit them.

Also many keep their face up for fear of getting hit w gun. Two things may help alleviate that. One is using a very small gun, say a bb gun or .22, you can progress from there.

Body posture effects felt recoil so make sure stance is good and keep things fun.

Consideration of a shotgun come time is key, that too must fit, light loads shot and inner and outer hearing protection worn. Less noise seems to equate to a softer kick to kids In many circumstances.

I personally use a loaded down 28 ga as opposed to a .410, easier to hit with n the difference in recoil is minimal. Remember too much stock drop will cause stock to bump kids face.

Archery has similar does n donts that carry on through life it seems. Teach proper grip, anchor and follow through. You can practice with a string bow. Proper grip alleviates torquing bow n string slap. No punching a release n follow through taught by having child aim back on target as the final step before checking where arrow hit.

Good luck w kids

My brother was a range instructor for the Marines, it's really a weird site to see kids so young with such good shooting form. His son has really taken to alot , I've never seen another 11 year old "sweep" a room with a nerf gun while dad covers him.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

Whats a good age in everyone's opinion to start kids with a firearm? I know I won't with my kids until they have the cognitive capacity to know the dangers and listen appropriately. My kids are both under 4 so I have a bit of time...

Whats a good age in everyone's opinion to start kids with a firearm? I know I won't with my kids until they have the cognitive capacity to know the dangers and listen appropriately. My kids are both under 4 so I have a bit of time...

Yes, depends on child . A bb gun would be a good start. Make the shooting fun, teach them to respect of the gun, shooting form etc. I think my daughter first shot her single shot .22 Cricket at 8 or 9. Never got her a bb gun but may have started her earlier. Bought a Ruger 10/.22 40th anniversary when she was 13 months old. Still NIB ,need to get optics. She's been shooting mine for years. Bought her Gander MTN limited youth pink woodgrain 870 20 when she was about 2 or 3. Just started shooting that last year. Low brass field loads. Bought some reduced recoil Magblends I stuff in it for turkey. Heart racing, blood pumping and bird strutting hoping she never feels it go off. My Winny 1300 used to kick the tar out of me testing 3" loads. On a bird,never felt it.
  • Like 2

To just shoot? I may let a young one try a bb gun at 7 or 8 but to be given (not kept by but stored by an adult) a gun, Somewhere between the age of 8 and 10, there are always exceptions, but at that age a child can truly understand the dangers of a gun and has the patience to learn and want to shoot. I would start them with a bb gun, a 22 at 10 maybe. If they show aptitude and resposibility.

• Like 1

My son got a bb gun at 4 and at 5 carries it in the woods pumped but with no bb in it so I can hear if he pulls the trigger...he does not pull it unless he's in front of me and is aming at a target animal...he is very consistent and knows the rules...just moved into a real compound Bow for him and he shoots my xbow regularly...and so picked up a cricket 22 that he will be shooting this summer open sites to become more proficient as a marksman.

Myself had a bb gun at 3 as my dad worked at Crosman so I had alot of them my whole life still to this day...by 12 I was hunting woodchuck and foxes with my 12 Guage and shooting 3d league with my bow.

It's not a age it's about structuring the training in a context the kid can understand. My son knew not to point guns at people before he could ride a bike...nerf guns are the only exception and only if the other person has one too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My daughter started with her BB gun at 2or3 now she is 8 and has a 410 single and a pump, muzzeloader, 44mag Ruger bolt , 357 H&R single, 223 bolt and a 7mm-08 bolt. She shoots them all very well and does a great job with safety. I'm a firm believer in getting them started as early as possible and it becomes 2nd nature. The other thing I have never done is pushed her, if I'm heading out to shoot I ask. Most of the time now I have to wait until she is not home for me to get a chance to shoot but that is a great problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2