Non-toxic Tungsten Super Shot

LET EM GROW

Anybody here use this in their turkey loads? Ive been doing some research lately and have come to the conclusion that i am going to purchase the shot and start building my own turkey loads for next year. I have a few buddies that re-load everything so we are going to try it. The results are unreal in the patterns they throw and the energy they deliver, compared to lead loads. My gun patterns #4s unbelievable but i thought it would be cool to try these out and build my own loads, something i have never done before, and something it seems no one else uses. Maybe theres pros and cons to doing this but.. i think it would be fun. Ideas anyone?

I don't shoot it myself, but there's no doubt it's devastating stuff. One problem is that the best choice for TSS is #9 shot, which isn't legal in NY (of course, I've never heard of an ECO running around with a micrometer cutting open handloads either...). I'm shooting HeavyWeight 7's from my 20ga and frankly that's already a bit overkill since I won't shoot past 40 yards. On the other hand, if I ever wanted to build a 40 yard .410 the TSS would be a great choice. Make sure you share some pattern pictures if you end up loading it, they are always impressive.

• Like 1

Nice, I've got a great turkey gun. But I saw these and was totally impressed. Can use smaller size shot have more energy and even better patterns due to total number of pellets compared to before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Now that spring turkey season is over, preparing for the fall season, and I was wondering if anyone was reloading TSS #7 or #8 shot, in 12 or 20 gauge and how was the patterning research progressing.

Additionally, could someone explain to me why #9 TSS was made illegal in NYS? I can't seem to find it on the Internet.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TACC said:

Now that spring turkey season is over, preparing for the fall season, and I was wondering if anyone was reloading TSS #7 or #8 shot, in 12 or 20 gauge and how was the patterning research progressing.

Additionally, could someone explain to me why #9 TSS was made illegal in NYS? I can't seem to find it on the Internet.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Many years ago, when lead shot was the only option readily available and turkey seasons were first initiated in New York, some bureaucrat decided  that the range of legal shot sizes for turkey hunting should be #2 to #8.... The reasoning was probably because shot larger than #2  was considered more dangerous than smaller shot in case of an accidental shooting, and shot smaller than #8 was considered too small to be effective on turkeys...It was an arbitrary decision at that time and simply never has been changed to allow for some of the modern shotshell technologies.

• Like 4

I haven't tried TSS yet, and probably won't anytime soon, mainly because I don't reaload. If they ever become available commercially at a somewhat reasonable price, I might give it a try. Also, wondering what it would be like trying to pick #9 pellets out of a turkey's breast if the shot goes a little low?:mda:

Right now, I'm able to take the thump from a 12 gauge shooting 3 1/2" HS, and I'm getting great patterns at 50 yards. I spent a lot of time getting my guns where I want them, so starting all over isn't high on my agenda. But who knows, maybe getting a 20 or 28 gauge down the road when I have more free time and experimenting with TSS might be a retirement project? :) 

• Like 3