Does anyone reload ?

fasteddie

I started reloadingfor my 223 and 7-30 waters a few years ago .

My oldest son got me to load some 44 mags for him . I still have to try doing the roll crimp on those rounds .

I am presently working up a load for his 270 . Gotta get busy with that this week .

Been reloading since 1980.  Saved lots of money over the years.  Loading .38/357, 44Mag/Special, 30 Carbine, 7.7 Jap, 30-06, 7mm-08, 35 Rem, 308 and 243.  I enjoy reloading on those rare days when I have time on my hands.  It allows me to be productive when there is nothing else to do.

Been reloading shotshells since the 60's. Started centerfire reloading in the 70's. It seems like it was just SOOOOO cheap back then to reload too. Prices of components have simply skyrocketed in the last ten years.

I like the fact you can accurately tune most centerfire arms with the right handload. I haven't shot game with a factory load, so I guess I reload a lot. 

The cost of new dies is baked into the cost of any firearm that I buy (other than rimfire). It is just an automatic thing now whenever I buy a gun.

I do like to target practice a lot. That's kind of hard to afford if I don't re-load my ammo. Besides, it's a great way to fine-tune ammo to weapon to get the best performance out of each firearm. Plus it makes a great winter pastime.

Doc

I reloaded some of the 270's at 49 , 51 , 53 & 55 gr ( 57 is max ) . My son said they all grouped well but noticed the 55 gr loads hit higher . I am going to load some 55 , 56 & 57 rounds today .

I had tried using a digital scale that will measure in tenth of a grain but can't work fast enough before it shuts off ........... >:) .. >:( .. >:(

I have yet to use a digital scale. Haven't upscaled to one yet (no pun intended.) I'd like to try one someday though. They seem slick. Still use the my old RCBS 5-0-5 scale to individually weigh hunting & target loads. For volume shooting of high power target loads in .308 & .30-06 using IMR4895 powder, I've had good success using a powder thrower once it's set properly. Groups are impressive enough to tell me it works. Ball powders like W760 work beautifully in this thrower but I've never gotten a load to shoot well with this powder in my guns. As is always the dilemma for the reloader, I'm still experimenting.  :)

I have a couple of Lyman Reloading Books . Pistol & Revolver plus the Lyman 47th edition Reloadong Handbook . I read the book a couple times before starting .

I like the H335 powder because I can use it for the 223 and the 7-30 waters . I have a powder measure dispenser that I use when I am loading alot of the same ammo . When I set that up and use the dispenser , I weigh every 3rd round and then switch to every 5th . The H335 flows easy .

For the 270 , the guy at Biekirchs said to use Reloader 19 with the 130 gr Sierras which a load printed in the book .

I just reload for my .243 for now. Keeping it simple because I rent. Equipment includes some Lee (hand-press, dies, auto-prime, tools), some rcbs dies & tools, an electric scale. I get alot of life from brass neck sizing but track the # of loads and ditch after a set # of times. I don't find a need for any extreem loads either. The full size rcbs dies for new / once fired work well though.

As for information, PC's and the internet weren't available when I started, so manuals like Speer, Hornady and Lyman were what I read. New manuals are sometimes necessary to keep up with the new powders developed and available. Each powder manufacturer has a website today where you can search out starting loads. All (Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, DuPont, etc.) produce a small booklet that has a list of loads for each of the powders they produce applicable for a given cartridge. Reloading manuals are a little better at defining what is typically the best powder to use for a given caliber/bullet combination.

A lot of books and articles I read when I was younger by the likes of Hagel, Petzal, Askins, O'Connor, Carmichael, Kieth, Milek, Page, Nonte, Jurras listed pet loads that I'd occassionally try too. Today a lot of forums on the internet offer sections with reloading data that are pretty useful too. Sharing of information is good. Some of the target forums are really good too. There is information overload out there today compared to a few decades ago, so I know why this can be dizzying. As you become more familiar you'll absorb everything.

Some favorite forum sites:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php

http://m14tfl.com/upload/

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://forums.handloads.com/login_user.asp?FID=0

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/

I cn no tremember the last factory shell I bought. I load for 270, 25-06, 30-06,7-08, 300 savage, 30-30, 357/38 45 long colt, 44 mag, and 44 special. or my rifles I like the imr powders. I use 4831 4350 4895 4064 basically all the standards. I have tried hogdon 4350 and 4831, with less than stellar rsults. I suevarget for the 7-08 and 300 davage.  I have a lyman dps and love it. I also use a lee 4 hole turret press and a single stage challenger press for depriming and pulling bullets.  I have been at it since the late 70's.  I have a sierra, lee, hornady and lyman manual. 

I reload just about everything I shoot, for all the reasons stated above. I reload, .218bee (which I love, and factory ammo is unafordable). .308, 7.62x39, 9mm, .357/38.. as well as 12 and 20 gauge for both hunting and skeet/sporting clays.

Good book, Hornady reloading manual..

good powder: varget, AA1680

Good bullets: hornady vmax/amax/sst

Good Press: Lee classic turret

Yes, as time permits for everything I shoot. I have to many project in the start mode at the moment 7 & about 100 test loads to fire.

Started on a 30-06 PO Ackley improved this past winter.

Fasteddie, I have 250 bullets` 100gr PSP's 270's on the shelf if you're looking. I'll have to check the cost.

I have never reloaded. I would love to get into it for two reasons...I like to putter and the cost...Where to start?

I would start by going to a gun store and buying the Hornady reloading manual. The first part of the book shows a lot of "how to" information and also gets into some of the details of what to do and why.

However, even with this book and any others that I can think of, there is still no substitute for having someone right there, on site, to show you how. Reloading ammo requires a high level of precision and know-how or there is a certain level of danger involved in incorrectly loaded ammo. I guess that's pretty obvious, but no harm in stating the obvious when safety is involved. For that reason, I highly recommend that if at all possible, you find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to spend a bit of time with you helping with the equipment buying decisions and the proper use of that equipment. I think that is the best and most important advice I can give. I don't want to scare you about reloading. It is extremely safe and not all that complicated if you have the proper understanding of the process and equipment.

Doc

I was lucky . I saw an ad in the Swap Sheet ( no longer exists ) a few years ago for some reloading equipment for $125 . I called the guy and his girlfriend inherited the stuff from her deceased uncle . I ended up buying it for $75 .

It consisted of a Lyman Turret press , powder dispenser , Ohaus 10 - 10 balance scale , 38 / 357 dies , 45 acp dies , box of 38 cal lead bullets , bullet sizer , bullet casting die , and a few other goodies . I think I did okay for $75 .

Since then I have purchased a Lee single stage die , a tumbler , primer pocket cleaners , various dies , funnels ,calipers , etc ..

I have never reloaded. I would love to get into it for two reasons...I like to putter and the cost...Where to start?

As others have noted, pick up a good reloading manual and read. There's tons of stuff on the 'net, some good, some convoluted.

Here are a couple of links explaining the basics and terminology from Gun Tests magazine:

http://home.earthlink.net/~driveabout/part1.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~driveabout/part2.htm

My son was quite happy with the reloads that I did for his 270 . He bought some extra powder , primers and bullets at Beikirch's as a lot of the reloading supplies has become scarce . I used the full size die and the rounds are grouping fine a hit a tad higher than the Factory loads . That report made me feel good !