Decreased Gobbling

JALA RUT

The weather, although most populations are down.

I am hunting areas where I KNOW there are gobblers present.

They just are not gobbling..

I predict that there will be days before the end of the season when the birds gobble well.

Perhaps only 2 or 3.

If you want to kill one you should be there when they want to gobble.

I gave up on the area I was hunting. I knew there were birds in there, they just weren't vocal.

I went to a different spot this morning and heard first gobble of the season. That was it, one gobble to my trying to act like an owl. No replies to the pot call.

I am not sure about numbers being down in my areas, I see them in the fields driving home and it..ehem, irritates me to no end. LOL

They just seem to be quiet. 

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree populations are on the downward cycle but I know there are still gobblers around and they're being tight lipped. With the declining populations are they gobbling less because there's less competition to breed, so basically don't have to show off or work so much for the ladies?

I've only heard one gobble this season so far and called in 4 birds that all came in quietly. During the youth hunt we heard one gobble probably about 150 yards from where we set up, a jake that then came in quietly to about 35 yds but my little cousin couldn't get a shot. Called in a Tom that never gobbled last Thursday, got into about 30 yards but couldn't get a shot. Then later I called in two jakes that never gobbled either, they came in quietly and I shot one of the jakes.

I hope they start getting loose lipped, love hearing them gobbles crank out through the woods!

I'll throw this out there...I hunt a few states each year, and my observation is that gobbling in general is down overall in the last 10 years or so. I really believe this is starting to become a trend, the birds that do breed are passing this trait along to their offspring, and will continue to do so. As long as birds can mate without a lot of gobbling and attracting attention to themselves from humans and predators, why shouldn't they just remain quiet and stay safer? Hunters are becoming better at killing birds (hevi-shot, shotguns that kill out past 50 yards, better decoys and blinds to fool them), perhaps the birds are countering this by being less vocal?

But this year, I'll agree with Pygmy's theory that the cold, wet May we've had are really putting a damper on things. Most of the guys I know who have killed birds this spring have set up on travel routes and either used decoys or got in front of birds and ambushed them. I guess we have to learn to adapt to outsmart the bird-brains, LOL.

• Like 1

Guys who mention decreased populations n I do agree they're way down from years ago but in the areas I'm in it's beginning a very slight upswing. Not by you guys?

I am in Southwest Ontario County and this would be assessment as well.  Pretty bad but not as bad as the past 3 years or so.  I have heard a little more this year than in years past.   

I'll throw this out there...I hunt a few states each year, and my observation is that gobbling in general is down overall in the last 10 years or so. I really believe this is starting to become a trend, the birds that do breed are passing this trait along to their offspring, and will continue to do so. As long as birds can mate without a lot of gobbling and attracting attention to themselves from humans and predators, why shouldn't they just remain quiet and stay safer? Hunters are becoming better at killing birds (hevi-shot, shotguns that kill out past 50 yards, better decoys and blinds to fool them), perhaps the birds are countering this by being less vocal?

But this year, I'll agree with Pygmy's theory that the cold, wet May we've had are really putting a damper on things. Most of the guys I know who have killed birds this spring have set up on travel routes and either used decoys or got in front of birds and ambushed them. I guess we have to learn to adapt to outsmart the bird-brains, LOL.

I think most die-hards would 100% agree with you.  And an even bigger difference 20 years ago when very few hunted them.

I agree about the lack of gobbling, and with the weather statement. and the fact of being henned up. But, male turkeys gobble to attract  the females, mother nature at it's finest there.

I have seen similar years in the past, but they will start to come around towards the end of the month. The "breeding cycle" is the culprit. Once most of the hens have been taken care of the gobblers will be more vocal. Like Pygmy has said, you just have to be there when they start to open up. Today and through this weekend the temps are finally starting to heat up.

My thoughts are the hens have been waiting for this all along too. They don't want their polt's to be hatched until all the bugs, etc. are out in all their glory and the weather plays a important part. Timing is everything.

• Like 2

I think the populations may be down some. but i also think as we whack Toms, The hen population keeps increasing, meaning more hens per 1 Tom.. they dont need to gobble as much. Especially the older more wise birds. Also, i think there gobbling will attract predators in areas with high predator numbers.. Just my opinion.. Been kind of quiet at my place compared to years pass, but we took 7 birds last year and our predator numbers are quite high. between fox, coyote and fishers..

Well, just got back home. Was in the woods this morning at 5:15am and stayed right until 10:30. NOT a sound by any turkeys at all!!!! Have to admit, very frustrating to say the least.

Will be back out Thursday and Friday as well. HAS to change pretty soon!!!

Less birds for sure.

More predators present and probably keying in on turkey sounds (such as gobbling which travels a long ways).

Called for a buddy this am. Had some hens come in, near silent until they saw the decoys in the field then we had a battle of clucks...then they talked but refused to go in the field....guessing it was due to the hawk that kept circling and screaming.

You get smart or you get killed.

I think the populations may be down some. but i also think as we whack Toms, The hen population keeps increasing, meaning more hens per 1 Tom.. they dont need to gobble as much. Especially the older more wise birds. Also, i think there gobbling will attract predators in areas with high predator numbers.. Just my opinion.. Been kind of quiet at my place compared to years pass, but we took 7 birds last year and our predator numbers are quite high. between fox, coyote and fishers..

Let em grow let me explain the way I see out of wack populations.

I could be wrong but it's something to consider.

Take deer, people always mention the "peak of the rut" like its gonna be magical. Truth is it normally sucks in areas w out of wack Buck/ doe ratios.

BUT the Bucks don't actually care about does, only does in or coming in heat. Imo the best time to "rut" hunt such places is early or maybe later when the buck to doe in heat ratio is highest. Now turning it to turkeys it's the same thing.

At a certain time that tom will be kinda lonely with no or few hens around. If he's been having the time of his life n he gets single he may go nuts for a bit.

When that happens they normally stand there gobbling as adverstement in an attempt to bring back the good old days.

Be there you're in.

All the blabber-mouths have already got themselves killed.

Just the smart ones that know when to keep their mouths shut are left out there now!

There's no doubt in my mind that the birds on the properties I hunt know my (and I'm sure other hunters) calling habits better than we think.

Some days I notice my calling sounds like a broken record out there..., day in and day out. Same with the other guys I hear.

I know I wouldn't fall for it any more either if I was a horny gobbler!

Keep trying to locate an isolated/unpressured bird and he just might pop if you hit him at the right time and right spot.

• Like 1

10th day today. Played with birds and heard them talk only 3. We know there are birds there but not talking for us. Not even on roost. Other side of road on that hill has had birds ripping every day and all day. I'd say the bird population and activity a little down from years past. Tomorrow I'm going elsewhere and stare at new trees.

• Like 1

when that tom is lonely it seems legit and simple that he will come into calling and or a decoy setup.. but a wise pressured bird will not very easily.. all depends on the pressure..

Alot of properties are different and the pressure is always different from property to property, and im sure the way birds react to pressure, calling, vehicle traffic and people presence is always different too from place to place.. Ive got a ton of birds at my place but they get hunted hard so i believe the gobbling may be decreased just from pressure alone.. 

I filled my 2nd tag on Saturday morning, again no gobbling and a Jake that came in quietly to a few series of combinations of clucks, cuts, yelps, & purrs. Only heard one gobble all season when out for the youth hunt. All birds that I've called in came in quietly this season.