Favorite way to Cook a Venison Roast

BKhunter

Dust in season flour. Sear it on all sides. Remove it from the pot (i use a dutch oven). Toss in carrots, celery, onions, garlic. Sautee them for a couple minutes. Then toss in a cup or more of white wine. Cook that down a little. Then add small can of crushed tomatoes. Put the roast back in and add some beef broth to the top. Add fresh herbs. Rosemary. Sage. Thyme. Cover and cook on 325 for a few hours.

Thats how i do mine and it always comes out great imo.

• Like 4

Dust in season flour. Sear it on all sides. Remove it from the pot (i use a dutch oven). Toss in carrots, celery, onions, garlic. Sautee them for a couple minutes. Then toss in a cup or more of white wine. Cook that down a little. Then add small can of crushed tomatoes. Put the roast back in and add some beef broth to the top. Add fresh herbs. Rosemary. Sage. Thyme. Cover and cook on 325 for a few hours.

Diplomat, 

Do you know what you cook the internal temp to? Is it nice and pink in the middle or is it cooked all the way through but since its low and slow it still nice and moist?

BK

I don't even use roasts anymore, because I can get them to taste fine for the initial meal,

But leftovers were always not so good .

I'd be interested in correcting that.

Edited by Larry302

• 6 months later...

I use a pressure cooker for mine. 

Venison pot roast

Ingredients

2-3 lb venison roast
3 c water
3 cubes beef bouillon
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Whole onions, at least one per person
Handful of carrots

SEASONING MIX
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper

Put oil into pressure cooker, and heat. Rub roast with seasonings, then sear on all sides. 
Dissolve bouillon cubes in water. Remove roast, and place rack into pot. 
Place carrots on top of rack, roast on top of carrots, add water with dissolved bouillon cubes and Worchestersire sause mixed in. Lock cover and bring up to pressure for 30 min. 

Cool under cold water, open and add onions (add more water if necessary), bring to pressure another 15 min and let cool. 

Remove everything but juice, and make gravy by adding a water, flour slurry, some gravy master and simmering. 

Roast / packet of beefy onion soup mix / half bottle of BBQ sauce / one diced onion / bottle of root beer / 6-7!hours on low in crockpot. / shread back into sauce / add 1 tablespoon of corn starch to thicken sauce. Pulled venison BBQ sammich. I made slaw and added a dash of BBQ sauce to roll. Outstanding!  Someone post this on forum awhile back. Deer I just shot, had roasts cubed into cubed steaks though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Roast / packet of beefy onion soup mix / half bottle of BBQ sauce / one diced onion / bottle of root beer / 6-7!hours on low in crockpot. / shread back into sauce / add 1 tablespoon of corn starch to thicken sauce. Pulled venison BBQ sammich. I made slaw and added a dash of BBQ sauce to roll. Outstanding!  Someone post this on forum awhile back. Deer I just shot, had roasts cubed into cubed steaks though. 

Don't know If I saw this post from you before or I found it another  place online but I made this a few weeks back. Delicious 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a chef I will say this is by far the best way to do
It... i use red wine instead of white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

In the morning (before work): Remove a vacuum-sealed roast from the freezer and take off the plastic bag.  Place the still-frozen roast in a crock-pot. Add one packet of Amish beef gravy mix ($1.20 ea. at Nolt's in Lowville NY, or other Amish stores in NY state).  Add 2 cups of water, a few potatoes, onions, and carrots.  Set crock-pot on low.

8-9 hours later (after work): Serve for dinner.

This method takes minimal time and effort and tastes great.  The leftovers are even better.  A can of cream of mushroom soup can be substituted for the Amish gravy, but is not as flavorful.  My kids like the Amish gravy mix a lot better.    

I get (6) aproximately quart-sized roasts from an average sized deer (all cut from the hind quarters), and an occasional neck roast.  Each roast, prepared this way, will feed my family of four one hearty dinner, plus provide me enough leftovers for my lunch at work the following day.  We put (32) of these roasts in the freezer, so far this season, so we should be eating very well until next season.

No special culinary skills are needed to do it this way.  It works great for folks with full-time jobs in other fields.

Edited by wolc123

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2016 at 7:51 AM, Yakitup said:

I use a pressure cooker for mine. 

Venison pot roast

Ingredients

2-3 lb venison roast
3 c water
3 cubes beef bouillon
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Whole onions, at least one per person
Handful of carrots

SEASONING MIX
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper

Put oil into pressure cooker, and heat. Rub roast with seasonings, then sear on all sides. 
Dissolve bouillon cubes in water. Remove roast, and place rack into pot. 
Place carrots on top of rack, roast on top of carrots, add water with dissolved bouillon cubes and Worchestersire sause mixed in. Lock cover and bring up to pressure for 30 min. 

Cool under cold water, open and add onions (add more water if necessary), bring to pressure another 15 min and let cool. 

Remove everything but juice, and make gravy by adding a water, flour slurry, some gravy master and simmering. 

Ive got a roast ready to go, ill try this tomorrow in the InstantPot

18 hours ago, crappyice said:

Corned venison! My oh my did those make yummy sammiches last year with a good brown mustard on a seeded rye(maybe some cole slaw or kraut and Swiss!)

Absolutely.  Takes a while to cure, but man is that good stuff.  

Corned venison is delicious... 

I have been using Morton Tender Quick with excellent results.

Boil 2 cups of water with Tender Quick (1 tablespoon per lb of venison), pickling spice, brown sugar, garlic and juniper berries (optional).   Once dissolved, pour over the roast (I use a large ziplock bag) and add enough cold water to fully cover the meat.  Let it sit in the fridge for at least a week; then rinse and simmer for a few hours until it is done to your liking. 

(Waiting is the toughest part of this recipe)

8 hours ago, johnplav said:

Corned venison is delicious... 

I have been using Morton Tender Quick with excellent results.

Boil 2 cups of water with Tender Quick (1 tablespoon per lb of venison), pickling spice, brown sugar, garlic and juniper berries (optional).   Once dissolved, pour over the roast (I use a large ziplock bag) and add enough cold water to fully cover the meat.  Let it sit in the fridge for at least a week; then rinse and simmer for a few hours until it is done to your liking. 

(Waiting is the toughest part of this recipe)

If I drop another one before year end , I gotta try this. Never corned any before. Thanks

On 11/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, crappyice said:

Corned venison! My oh my did those make yummy sammiches last year with a good brown mustard on a seeded rye(maybe some cole slaw or kraut and Swiss!)

Corned is great ,but if you corn it and then put it in the smoker you get awesome pastrami!

• Like 1

Last one I did I butterflied it if you call it that.. sliced it like a loaf of bread, but not quite all the way through, then put in a pyrex baking dish overnight in the fridge with a marinade making sure each 'slice' was coated with the marinade.  Next day drained the marinade, covered top of dish with alum foil and baked in the oven till the outside was done and the inside still pink.  There were no leftovers..

Marinade: pretty common recipe made from soy, worcestershire, steak sauce, salt pepper vinegar oil and whatever.