Favorite way to Cook a Venison Roast

BKhunter

23 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Corned is great ,but if you corn it and then put it in the smoker you get awesome pastrami!

21 hours ago, johnplav said:

We do that too... delicious!

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Just put 2, 2lb hind roasts from the doe I shout last weekend in the freezer to be corned at a later date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great !  you all upped it another notch!  now I gotta corn one and smoke it too!  lol   Def gonna do this.  I have a bunch of sausage sealed and put away for a smoker day gonna have to make a corned roast or two as well.  Thats it , now i gotta fill another tag!  ugh you guys...... 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2016 at 7:12 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Cover with a can of cream of

Mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix, wrap tight in foil and put in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Comes out with its own gravy

I do the same, only in a crock pot. Hold the foil. I also add carrots, celery and button mushrooms.

• Like 1

So now I'm thinking do u guys have a slicer ?  Venison pastrami would seem to be better sliced 

Sharp fillet knife (I have many but use only 1 for real thin slicing-it’s an oldy but a greaty!) does the trick good enuff for my liking!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

im in the process of making a smoked venison roast . I made a brine- 1 gal water[duh!!!!] brown sugar, molasses,  [the recipe said sorghum i don't even know were to get that],pink salts#1, juniper berries,all spice berries and I had 2 roast one a loin roast and a leg roast that equaled to about 4.5 lbs I have to let it brine for 10 days but im going to closer to 7

17 minutes ago, johnplav said:

If a corned venison sandwich doesn’t bring some luck before the last sit of the season... I don’t know what does. 0b33056aa80c78bdb38be1a44a103611.jpg40b3727cc01ba898e65781ed48a792be.jpg

out of "likes" and they dont offer loves!  damn thats the ticket!  I printed off your recipe and will have two roasts in the brine this weekend, then the weekend after they hit the smoker.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I have a small roast off my doe that was dry aged for 10 days. It's in the vacuum bags in freezer. I am saving it for a celebration dinner when I finally buy a house. Not sure how I will cook it, always looking for ideas

Which roast is it, from the front or back leg

I think it's the back, it was a good size. It might be written on it

The meat from the back lack is generally more tender which is why I ask. The best way to describe it is grab ur ass and then ur shoulder. You do not need to cook the back legs as long, and also if it’s dry aged you may be able to treat it more like a roast beef then a pot roast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avg. joe said:

One can of frozen orange juice concentrate and a bottle of catsup and mix it up in a blender. Put the roast in a crock pot and pour the mix over it. Depending on the size of the roast, 6 to 8 hours.

No No on the Ketchup That's just nasty.

Ok

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

The meat from the back lack is generally more tender which is why I ask. The best way to describe it is grab ur ass and then ur shoulder. You do not need to cook the back legs as long, and also if it’s dry aged you may be able to treat it more like a roast beef then a pot roast

Ok thanks. I can't wait!

This is always one of my favorites. Today I did a neck roast and a shank. Was going to bring them to my aunts house for Christmas Eve dinner. Turns out I can’t go, my one year old has a fever and my cousin is going through cancer treatments. Not good to bring germs around him. Guess I’ll be eating this for dinner tonight

097948da1a875a9e87d0e792afa82310.jpg
334a86a5d585480fa58619ae9a84e25c.jpge6da964d2c0d1d5998cd216a1519e1b1.jpg
4580b6870e3b3a670286a953648745b1.jpg
8e656c6e18bdfb9cd8929f64415a4a83.jpg84dd31e48038672613d0a054255c3f4f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your cousin. My extended family went through that recently. The holidays are a little tough this year for my aunt and other cousins.

I don't know that I've ever cooked a roast. I just cut them up and make stew. I mean, you cut up the roast and put the pieces near the taters and carrots anyway, right? :sorry:

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your cousin. My extended family went through that recently. The holidays are a little tough this year for my aunt and other cousins.
I don't know that I've ever cooked a roast. I just cut them up and make stew. I mean, you cut up the roast and put the pieces near the taters and carrots anyway, right? :sorry:
Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for the kind words, I don’t really cut the roast in chunks, I slice it so it’s like think pieces of steak. Yes you could just make stew, kind of the same thing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this works with any roast from the back leg. cover with a good dry rub, then garlic butter with rosemary and thyme, wrap in bacon weave, sprinkle with chili powder, smoke at 225 until the internal temp hits 130 and let it rest 10-15 minutes. the low smoking temp makes the meat perfectly pink from edge to edge. and the bacon really soaks up the smoke!!!

20180703_162324.jpg

• Like 5