Late season bird down!!!

WNY Bowhunter

Had a quick, textbook hunt this morning. Saw this guy strutting out in the field last night with 3 hens.  Set up a blind and dekes in the field this morning. He started gobbling at 5:15. I didn't call to him until he hit the ground. My calls got a hen fired up and he went crazy. Within a few minutes a hen came down and headed for the decoys.  He came out running in 3/4 strut.  I could see his stubby beard but he had a full fan and definately wasn't a jake so I clucked on the mouth call to stop him...he stopped and looked around and I leveled him. Game over at 5:45!!!

zDSCN1177.jpg

zDSCN1215.jpg

zDSCN1227.jpg

zDSCN1265.jpg

Got screwed in the beard department. My last gobbler had 5 beards so I can't complain too much.

zDSCN1237.jpg

Fourth kill of the season with the Halloran Metal Mouth...love this call!!!

zDSCN1223.jpg

• Like 15

Nice bird !! Saw you posting on " live " forum. Sounded like a checkmate was going to happen. Well done.

Your blind looks like you set it up in the dark , lol. Or is it a bit tipped because you bumped it to run out for head stand on bird ?

Sorry about beard , all about the hooks to me anyhow.

Thanks everyone!!!

Very nice…….congrats…I hunt with the exact same gun (835) right down to the old school camo and the Claw sling….I better make sure my gun is still in the safe…..

Actually, the gun is a buddy of mine's...he just bought it for $175 and wanted me to break it in for him. It throws a great pattern, now I just need him to sell it to me!!!

• Like 1

Nice bird !! Saw you posting on " live " forum. Sounded like a checkmate was going to happen. Well done.

Your blind looks like you set it up in the dark , lol. Or is it a bit tipped because you bumped it to run out for head stand on bird ?

Sorry about beard , all about the hooks to me anyhow.

Yeah, I flipped the blind and ran to the bird.  He wasn't going any where, but I always get right on them to make sure. Good luck!

• Like 1