What to do?

Hey guys  maybe someone can help me out here. Ive got an acre that has no trees, is flat and has weeds. I want to plant some sort of plot on it. I am a rookie so i dont know what needs to be done. First thing I know is get rid of the weeds then...

Any help is appreciated.

I'm the LAST guy to offer an opinion on here and I think you'll get a wagon load of help but I  think the first step is Round Up.

Let's see what the folks with the green thumbs say........................  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

Definitely need to some how kill the weed growth. You can spray. I personally will till till till because I hate chemicals. My plots might not be the lush green ones you see on tv but it brings deer in. I just keep turning over the soil and it kills the weeds. A good crop to start with is probably clover. It's easy to grow and fixes nitrogen deficiencies in the soil.

1 acre...Doing the whole acre?...What equipment is available? How much time you willing to invest? How much $$$ do you have to invest as well?

Now depending on those answers, you Need to kill weeds...but spraying doesn't do that...it helps with the turning of ground and perennial weed roots,  that's it.  Years and years of dormant weed seed is just waiting to get turned to the surface and grow like mad...second you need a soil test to check at least the PH...then lime accordingly. Now Lime takes time to work well. It HAS to be turned into the soil...acidic soils do not produce good crops ,other than weeds. 6 Mos is the time it takes for the lime to really do it's thing ...not that it won't help in some plot seeds but things take time. ...So you can decide to work the acre all summer killing weeds then plant a good weed suppressing crop like winter wheat(WW), Hog radish(HR) winter rye(WR) or turnips.  Then attempt a early spring clover,nothing fancy at first...remember there is still weed seed there. 

The other option is do your initial work and lay down a heavy planting of buck wheat ...It is a short season grower, it will handle acidic soils while lime is working and it has weed suppressing properties ...deer love it. Now cut and incorporate it into the soil before it seeds and go with the above in the fall or try a fall clover a wht /red mix. Once you get the ground under control then think about the fancy mixes like White tail institute. 

Personally I'd divide the acre into half annual /half perennial so you can rotate the planting to avoid bug problems, bacterial and fungal issues and nutrient deficiencies. After all that ...then consider planting some mast trees in the middle of the plot...Apples, Chestnuts, mulberries what ever you think wil draw  with not a ton of care needed and fast production.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Yea as grow says, lol.. or to do so cheaply and quick, like my limited time only allows me. lol id spray it off with round up, mow it down low. If you can get ph test for soil, do  so asap.. then lime and fertilize, and then with your wheeler or tractor work the top few inches of soil. If no soil test can be done, if no ph test this summer, after soil is broken up, just plant some buckwheat with clover, or turnips/clover come late july/ early august.. 

Thank you guys!!! I should have send I cant spend alot of time on it. Due to work and family. How and where can I do soil test? What will this prove? Also where can i get buckwheat or clover? And what is best to plant this time of year? When should i put lime?

What are weeds to You might just be Food for the wildlife in your area . I would buy 1 or 2 trail cams. and set them up on or near the property. Check them when you go to the property and see what if anything is feeding on what is there first, before rushing into doing things.

Cheapest way.....

Get a soil test.  The University of Massachusetts does them for $17 and you get the results within one week via email.
http://soiltest.umass.edu/ordering-information

Kill all the grass.  Spray once and wait two weeks and then spray again.  Once it is all dead go out with a mower and mow it all off.  You should have plenty of bare ground at that point.

Now wait until late July until the forecast calls for a good rain or a couple of days of rain.  Get out there right before that and hammer it with Brassicas.
It is only 1 acre so I would probably start with just one thing.  Or go 50% brassicas and 50% clover.  Grains may not last long on a small piece like that.
Then again, you could try a mix of winter rye, wheat, oats, clover, purple top turnip, and some radish.  Check the QDMA and the Web for opinions and mixes.   They should do good (maybe even great) when broadcast over bare ground.  They will start to be effective after a couple of frosts.

If you can scratch it up prior to planting (and after fertilizing) then that would be great.  If you know someone with an ATV disc or a harrow to scratch it up a little.  

Its a learning experience my friend.  Enjoy every minute of it and find what works best for you on your property/situation.  It will take a couple of years but you will find that - regardless of what you try - something is better than nothing.

Soil test will tell you PH level of your soil. And exactly what fertilizer to put down and the amount to put down, as well as lime. The main concerns/reason for soil testing. If your soil PH is too low, it doesnt matter how much fertilizer you put down, your soil can only use so much of it when the ph is low. The closer the PH is to 7.0(Nuetral) the better.. Lime will bring your soil ph up and the recommended fertilizers will give you what your soil needs.. depending on if you tell them what you plan on planting there. 

Typically i think soil will only accept up to 1 ton per acre per application.. any more would be a waste, so ive been told by my neighbor who works for an AG Co. 

Thinking too many have tunnel vision here as no one has asked what is on the neighboring properties...you want to offer what isn't available in the area. Potentially, your grass may already be what you need.

I want to plant some sort of plot on it.

No tunnel vision...and attempted to get him to see the whole picture in that request with these questions:

1 acre...Doing the whole acre?...What equipment is available? How much time you willing to invest? How much $$$ do you have to invest as well?

It is now up to him to think and decide the best questions to ask and info to give for answers.