Why all the craziness

Bowguy 1

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it doesn't make any of us right.

Now I'm a bow guy. There's no cross in it. A crossbow should be cross gun, it certainly more fits the description.

Lots of guys myself included are aging, we have bad shoulders, etc.

If someone is truly disabled they should be allowed to get a crossbow permit. Same for juniors or seniors. BUT to go on the offense of others who disagree w your views is ridiculous.

To say people wanna get back in it, how many have lowered the draw weight, can't see anyone that can't draw 36lbs n carry a heavy crossbow around, or shoulder it, how bout ensured they weren't over drawing? What about softer shooting bows such as Elite?

If you're for the things it's your right to fight for them, no one should bash you either but remember it is bow season n to many that doesn't only include arrows.

There are other options like allowing rifles during bow season for those afraid to cut their fingers, what about those can't track n need animal to drop in its tracks?

How bout those that medically can't be in sun, we should allow night hunting?

Lots of foreigners can't take the cold maybe a summer hunt?

We can all find excuses to suit our causes n cry discrimination when things don't suit us.

Liberals taught us that, let's not behave like them n respect each other's opinion even when we disagree

Ah see what I'm saying? No fights guys have at what you like, but don't ne upset some disagree. That's my only point.

But isn't that why you don't like xbows? Bc they are easier...like when you said should be called cross? I'm not fighting I'm disagreeing bc I genuinely believe xbows are not enough of a game changer for anyone to think the shouldn't be in with compounds. Same thing just sideways and release is built in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't like crossbows for a multitude of reasons but my point is we can all have different wants n likes n still respect the others opinion.

Crossbows excluding bait have pros n cons n imo are not much of a game changer alone.

There's people who'd like to see us pay for drugs so animals can have safe sex they are the enemy not the guy next to you wearing a hunting license too.

Fight for what we want n when things don't go our way we suck it up n keep at it. Fight positively not w attacks on each other

I don't understand the point of your topic. You are saying respect others opinions, yet you are giving nothing but reasons not to use a xbow. I'll respect your opinion on using a more traditional bow, go use it. I'll respect those who use xbow, go use it. I honestly don't think the difference between a xbow and compound are too extreme. Especially the compounds that are out there nowadays over 350 fps. Only difference is it can be a point and shoot weapon. Probably a little more accurate for most people. The effective range is definitely more comparable with a compound bow than a rifle, so not sure why you would say it should be called a cross gun. It fires an arrow from a string. I love to bowhunt and will continue to use a compound in most cases, however I would like to try a xbow and see how I like it. It's all personal preference. And once again, I respect your opinion. 

• Like 3

First and foremost, safety should be on the minds of every hunter out there! Now for crossbows, I believe a full NYS. manatory Instructor coarse on crossbow use should be imposed for every hunter. Then throw in your seasons use and, other debates. The state went about this whole crossbow introduction as. backwards. This whole political football that this states DEC throws, stinks rotten. It looks like this state intentionally releases this crap to keep the hunters at odds with each other. Just think what a united hunting community could be in this state. Many have taken the bait and run with it, playing right into the hand of our government.

Now I'm ready for some of that popcorn and a good stout beer.

• Like 1

First and foremost, safety should be on the minds of every hunter out there! Now for crossbows, I believe a full NYS. manatory Instructor coarse on crossbow use should be imposed for every hunter. Then throw in your seasons use and, other debates. The state went about this whole crossbow introduction as. backwards. This whole political football that this states DEC throws, stinks rotten. It looks like this state intentionally releases this crap to keep the hunters at odds with each other. Just think what a united hunting community could be in this state. Many have taken the bait and run with it, playing right into the hand of our government.

Now I'm ready for some of that popcorn and a good stout beer.

OMG!

First we have our winters are too cold for foreigners.

Now, the government is dividing hunters.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Hunters divide hunters!

Do you really think the DEC or the government has backroom meetings just to make the hunting community divided? LOL!

Man, now I do need a beer.

• Like 3

I think you are missing the boat on this one. The whole tone of the original post sounds a little arrogant and elitist. If you make comments like this on a public message board, I don't know why you're acting so surprised that you get negative feedback....

• Like 5

I prefer to hunt like the Indians did, you know, 85 % let off, drop ,away rest, fiber optic sites , release, carbon arrows. While wearing a scent loc suit, from a tree stand with a range finder, 6 trail cams, and a gps .

Just like Ishi .

• Like 6

I never tried shooting one myself as yet. Very content with my compound bow I presently own. From the rumors I have heard, the strings on crossbows last for a little over 100 shots!!!

Before the bow season strolls around, I may take anywhere from 20-40 shots per day practicing. Your going to tell me I would need a new string before the season even starts????

Think I will pass, as well as with a stick bow. Found my nitch with the compound. :stop: 

I never tried shooting one myself as yet. Very content with my compound bow I presently own. From the rumors I have heard, the strings on crossbows last for a little over 100 shots!!!

Before the bow season strolls around, I may take anywhere from 20-40 shots per day practicing. Your going to tell me I would need a new string before the season even starts????

Think I will pass, as well as with a stick bow. Found my nitch with the compound. :stop: 

I don't know how many shots the strings can last on a crossbow before they need replacing, but 100 sounds very low. Most guys don't need to practice much with a crossbow once they have it zeroed in, scope or sights should hold it's zero. I'm averaging 5 years (with a little preventative maintenance on mine). Much different than a compound or longbow, in needing to practice and perfect your form, with a crossbow you just aim and shoot (but you do need to know your "range", the same as you would with the pins on a compound bow). I'd be very surprised to hear of anyone who takes more than 50 shots before the season opens.

It's not for everyone. But I will say a lot of guys who said "I'll never" wound up buying a crossbow once they became all-inclusive in other states. IMO it's a more efficient tool for the job, and admittedly, it does appeal to the lazier hunters who want to get into bowhunting.

• Like 1

For me shooting a compound is all about consistency.  Simply put most traditional shooters just can not compare to my accuracy.  At distances I am able to shoot deer, many traditional shooters would be lucky to even hit the target.  Personally I do not think of the crossbow as a real bow, to me the only thing similar is the fact that it has a string.  Will air bows be considered the same?  What about a bow that uses gun powder to accelerate the arrow?  Then the argument is "Well they both shoot an arrow, just like the crossbow and at similar speeds."

To me bow is all about challenging yourself but I would rather have an ethical kill shot that I feel confident in to spare my prey any suffering.  For me the compound provides this happy medium of reliability and accuracy and extends my range past 25 yards I would feel limited to with a traditional bow.

In so far as arguing about weather or not crossbows should be included, well we could argue about this for another 10 pages as was done before on this site.  Simply put we are a stubborn bunch and set in our ways.  This results in us arguing about many things from Compound vs Traditional vs crossbow vs gun vs tree stand hunting vs stalking vs tracking vs sitting on a rock vs any other thing you want to add, Chevy vs Ford vs Toyota, 30-06 vs 308 vs 44 mag vs 223 etc.  We think our way is best an the others are not and like to argue that point.  Because we are so stubborn the argument causes rifts in our ranks. 

I will not join bow hunters, or NRA because they do not follow my exact point of view or I will never use a crossbow or compound because it is too easy, I will never hunt out of a tree because that's not hunting, lol real easy to find a fight in the hunting community is my point.   Don't take that last statement as fact it was just to prove a point with sarcasm.  We are always on the offensive about defending out hunting rights, just wish we could unite better to preserve it.

• Like 5

I think you are missing the boat on this one. The whole tone of the original post sounds a little arrogant and elitist. If you make comments like this on a public message board, I don't know why you're acting so surprised that you get negative feedback....

Like asking someone if they stopped beating their wife and only acknowledging yes and no replies.

• Like 1