Why all the craziness

Bowguy 1

I prefer to hunt like the Indians did, you know, 85 % let off, drop ,away rest, fiber optic sites , release, carbon arrows. While wearing a scent loc suit, from a tree stand with a range finder, 6 trail cams, and a gps .

Just like Ishi .

hey wait a minute they had all that and here i am still making my hunting heads out of stone I really need to catch up LOL

• Like 1

Bowguy 1, I was like you for a while. Then I pulled the lump of coal out of my backside. There are very good people here, and many have a ton of knowledge that has been shared.

Anyone from Jersey who hunts NY and doesn't like this site, or that New Yorkers are strong minded, pig-headed, and proud, should join this site;

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/forum.php

Maybe you will have a more enjoyable web experience.

If not, then shut up and stop bagging on this site!

I have yet to meet anyone besides some nut jobs in NYB who don't believe disabled and elderly shouldn't be allowed to easily obtain a permit to hunt with a crossbow. I will disagree with you on "juniors". No kid should start the easy way. I'm sure someone will counter with "a kid in the woods with a crossbow is better than no kids in the woods" and I will agree, but if you really want to hunt that bad and will be a young hunter who will stick to it, you'll pick up a compound. Heck, most of us kids started with a 12 gauge and picked up the bow after we fell in love the sport.

1 question - if you shoot a compound why not a recurve?

There is a point where 2 lines intersect on a graph. One line is effective humane harvesting ability and the other is time. as time increases we begin to plot. first we start with the gun, then the crossbow, then the compound and finally the recurve. Not everyone can afford the time, some don't have the patience and yet others will wield the weapon they're not proficient in and wound an animal. The compound of today fits in that nice sweet spot on the graph for many hunters. It's efficient and deadly, yet still requires practice enough to weed out the weekend warriors. It still requires skill enough to make it a challenge and one that is enough of a challenge to really distinguish it from the gun. The crossbow seems to blur the lines too much for many.

Your argument which has been used a billion times in this debate isn't a bad one, but it speaks to the level of challenge and the efficiency of the hunt. The spear hunter could debate with the recurve hunter and the knife hunter with him and the argument never ends. To be able to kill any size or sex deer with any weapon is an accomplishment that most of the world doesn't know. We are a minority. Being able to get any size or sex deer close enough shoot and recover with a compound is a great accomplishment that we sometimes forget about as we chase the trophies. Unless you're in a highly populated, low pressure area be happy with the challenge the compound provides. Take up the recurve if you want, but truly honestly tell me you don't see the difference with the bipod, scope and trigger the crossbow offers when compared to the compound vs the recurve.

• Like 2

Belo - the answer is: one chooses the compound over traditional equipment because they either want or need easier archery equipment. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that decision - until they decide their level of easier should be the bar for all. Then they become hypocriticale.  The discussion is what archery equipment - string powered -  is to be used in the bow season. Nothing to do with spears, knives or any other non archery equipment.

Edited by SteveB

Belo - the answer is: one chooses the compound over traditional equipment because they either want or need easier archery equipment. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that decision - until they decide their level of easier should be the bar for all. Then they become hypocriticale.  The discussion is what archery equipment - string powered -  is to be used in the bow season. Nothing to do with spears, knives or any other non archery equipment.

I'm not sure I disagreed with that. I was simply trying to make the case for why that level is acceptable to most and not just a small minority. String powered is the key word. One has locked energy the other requires human power. Both shoot "arrows", but yet many disagree with the air-bow. There has to be a line and the argument shouldn't be about the fact that their "is a line".

I never tried shooting one myself as yet. Very content with my compound bow I presently own. From the rumors I have heard, the strings on crossbows last for a little over 100 shots!!!

Before the bow season strolls around, I may take anywhere from 20-40 shots per day practicing. Your going to tell me I would need a new string before the season even starts????

Think I will pass, as well as with a stick bow. Found my nitch with the compound. :stop: 

no worries way more than that.  just make sure everything is maintained properly like waxing the string with a good wax and a couple drops of rail lube for the bolt to slide nice.

• Like 2

Bowguy 1, I was like you for a while. Then I pulled the lump of coal out of my backside. There are very good people here, and many have a ton of knowledge that has been shared.

Anyone from Jersey who hunts NY and doesn't like this site, or that New Yorkers are strong minded, pig-headed, and proud, should join this site;

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/forum.php

Maybe you will have a more enjoyable web experience.

If not, then shut up and stop bagging on this site!

Rob I'm not sure what you're getting at? I'm bashing no one. I'm only voicing an opinion n stated people can have theirs n be proud of that.

Now I try n be considerate, measure my words etc but I am a man so I'm asking you to be respectful.

I think I'm honestly a little nervous to use a xbow. I absolutely love to bow hunt. More than I enjoy gun hunting. I think if I use a crossbow and my efficiency goes up, I will be pushed to use that just because it is more efficient. Like if you are going into an area after a certain buck, you are going to bring the most efficient tool for the job right? I just don't want to come to the point where I no longer feel the urge and passion for the compound.. Its a battle within..  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You people are being distracted by "old business". The crossbow proponents already have crammed themselves into the bow season ...... They saw a season that was created for bows and wanted to grab a piece of that and did. But what is slipping around the corner without a whole lot of notice is the fact that now the DEC is championing several versions of also cramming firearms into bow seasons. We knew that would happen right? The precedent has been set now and on goes the evolution of bow season into an "any weapon season". Already they are warning us of wanting muzzleloaders shoved into bow season in specific WMUs. Each precedent begets the next.

Way back when compounds were shoved into bow seasons, some of the old-timers that warned that the compound was just the beginning, were also shouted down, and over-run. Amazingly, they were exactly right and the compound became the precedent for crossbows. And amazingly every one today tries to convince themselves and others that crossbows for some reason are the end of the evolution of bow season. Well, the DEC is wasting no time capitalizing on this "creeping incrementalism". The opportunities and precedents for firearms encroachments are already being used. But the crossbow enthusiasts are so focused on their part of the evolution that they can't be bothered with the next phases. Ha.... perhaps the crossbow proponents are even heavily in favor of the introduction of firearms. Why wouldn't they?

• Like 5

Simply put I think you hit the nail on the head Doc, as usual.   The same people who do not want to practice with any bow would rather have guns and crossbows in bow season.  

You allow hunting year round already on farms why not start doing the same thing in area's you feel are overpopulated to cull deer instead of trampling all over bow season DEC?  And now they use shotguns on these farms on LI.  So much for a challenge.   Now the challenge will be trying to get away from the gun hunters again but now during bow season.   Kind of hard to do on LI considering most spots, after hiking a few miles, takes you off the DEC land.

• Like 2

I don't know how many shots the strings can last on a crossbow before they need replacing, but 100 sounds very low. Most guys don't need to practice much with a crossbow once they have it zeroed in, scope or sights should hold it's zero. I'm averaging 5 years (with a little preventative maintenance on mine). Much different than a compound or longbow, in needing to practice and perfect your form, with a crossbow you just aim and shoot (but you do need to know your "range", the same as you would with the pins on a compound bow). I'd be very surprised to hear of anyone who takes more than 50 shots before the season opens.

It's not for everyone. But I will say a lot of guys who said "I'll never" wound up buying a crossbow once they became all-inclusive in other states. IMO it's a more efficient tool for the job, and admittedly, it does appeal to the lazier hunters who want to get into bowhunting.

I am by no means lazy, I hang 40 plus stands a year,trim countless lanes for shooting,place.and monitor 12 plus trail.cams, plant 12 acres of food plots ,over 500 trees this year, prune apple,and hing cut trees, manage my timber and fallow.field.. I use gun and bow, and I bought a crossbow.. so I'm lazy? It's something different.. lot of criticism from people who get their info off Web sites.. many have never shot one, let alone sit in a stand with one but they are experts or feel they know better.. I've used one and it has benifits and drawbacks. If you want to use one so be it.. my opinion is one of let them be.. heck if spears are made legal I'd try one of them.

• Like 3

I think I'm honestly a little nervous to use a xbow. I absolutely love to bow hunt. More than I enjoy gun hunting. I think if I use a crossbow and my efficiency goes up, I will be pushed to use that just because it is more efficient. Like if you are going into an area after a certain buck, you are going to bring the most efficient tool for the job right? I just don't want to come to the point where I no longer feel the urge and passion for the compound.. Its a battle within..

An easier crossbow cost.me a shot at a great buck because the limbs are horizontal a d lanes are vertical, the limbs would hit tree trunks.. it's a whole new learning curve.. no maybe sitting in a blind in a open field with a rest is easier but I don't like hunting field..

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so as a bow hunter and someone who also owns a cross bow I'm going to weigh in.... Crossbows should be fully included... But you should have to take the bow hunters course for them. Killing a deer with a x bow is nothing like killing one with a gun, you still have to worry about distance, how will your arrow fly, brush and branches in the way and will your arrow deflect. Also the effective range is much more similar to a bow. Also after the shot is the same as bow hunting, the deer runs, you must track follow blood, make sure it's a good hit, know when to follow blood and when to give deer time to bleed.... Is it slightly easier maybe really it's just slightly more accurate and you don't have to worry about getting busted drawing... Enough is enough to each his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I never tried shooting one myself as yet. Very content with my compound bow I presently own. From the rumors I have heard, the strings on crossbows last for a little over 100 shots!!!

Before the bow season strolls around, I may take anywhere from 20-40 shots per day practicing. Your going to tell me I would need a new string before the season even starts????

Think I will pass, as well as with a stick bow. Found my nitch with the compound. :stop:

I bought mine a couple weeks ago and have shot well over 500 shots and the string looks new.

I am a diehard bow hunter shoot year round and I bought a Xbow this year and I love it! It splits up the season and adds another weapon for me to use. Life's about variety and choices we live the best country in the world and are fortunate to have these options. I hope we never go to full inclusion I like the way season is split up!

Ok so as a bow hunter and someone who also owns a cross bow I'm going to weigh in.... Crossbows should be fully included... But you should have to take the bow hunters course for them. Killing a deer with a x bow is nothing like killing one with a gun, you still have to worry about distance, how will your arrow fly, brush and branches in the way and will your arrow deflect. Also the effective range is much more similar to a bow. Also after the shot is the same as bow hunting, the deer runs, you must track follow blood, make sure it's a good hit, know when to follow blood and when to give deer time to bleed.... Is it slightly easier maybe really it's just slightly more accurate and you don't have to worry about getting busted drawing... Enough is enough to each his own

Well said

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I bought mine a couple weeks ago and have shot well over 500 shots and the string looks new.

I am a diehard bow hunter shoot year round and I bought a Xbow this year and I love it! It splits up the season and adds another weapon for me to use. Life's about variety and choices we live the best country in the world and are fortunate to have these options. I hope we never go to full inclusion I like the way season is split up!

Buck master do you count shots? How did you get that number? Not doubting you but it may be less if only weeks old. Now most manufacturers instructions say to replace strings every 200 shots or so. Doesn't matter if you shot the 500 but if you did it certainly could be recommended for change already from the manufacturer

Buck master do you count shots? How did you get that number? Not doubting you but it may be less if only weeks old. Now most manufacturers instructions say to replace strings every 200 shots or so. Doesn't matter if you shot the 500 but if you did it certainly could be recommended for change already from the manufacturer

No I haven't counted shots, and not good at counting weeks either because I got it on jun 30 so I guess I've had it 3 weeks. I shoot it and my bow every day unless it's raining"I think I missed 1 day due to rain" I have 12 practice bolts and a target with 12 individual dots. I keep my bolts in a little quiver I made and shoot 2 or 3 quivers a day. So if we only call it 24 shots a day for 21 days that's over 500 shots, and that's not counting the 100 or more I took the day I got it. I would guess I'm probably a lot closer to 700 than 500. I just looked in my manual and the only thing I can find on string and cable life is they recommend every 2 year replacement. If I have to put new strings and cables on it once a year I'll be fine with that I have to do the same with my compound. I shoot a lot it's what I love to do, I come home from work grab a beer and shoot bows and now crossbows. From my research I'm more likely shoot shoot out a limb than I am a string from just shooting.

Really??? I've never heard that before. I'll keep shooting until I see wear (fraying, strand breakage, etc.) then I'll replace them. I'm well over that threshold now and my strings still look great. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to try and catch up on this thread. Just going to comment on the OP. I say hunt with whatever you want all season long. I don't see why bow hunters get extra time. The goal is meat and conservation. There's a total number of Deer we want dead. Open the season give out the right amount of tags and let everyone loose. Air, bow, cross, dog, drone, muzzle, rifle, shot whatever floats your boat just be safe.