Why all the craziness

Bowguy 1

Really??? I've never heard that before. I'll keep shooting until I see wear (fraying, strand breakage, etc.) then I'll replace them. I'm well over that threshold now and my strings still look great.

Read your literature. Unless anything has changed it is only a couple hundred between shots per most manufacturers instructions. Granted they may be conservative but What type crossbow do you have n what does literature say?

I'm not going to try and catch up on this thread. Just going to comment on the OP. I say hunt with whatever you want all season long. I don't see why bow hunters get extra time. The goal is meat and conservation. There's a total number of Deer we want dead. Open the season give out the right amount of tags and let everyone loose. Air, bow, cross, dog, drone, muzzle, rifle, shot whatever floats your boat just be safe.

So you're suggesting one big general season? Doesn't it sound like everyone would just use a rifle than?

Read your literature. Unless anything has changed it is only a couple hundred between shots per most manufacturers instructions. Granted they may be conservative but What type crossbow do you have n what does literature say?

You have sparked my interest and I have found 3 other manufactures manuals and have not found one that states 200 shots. What company's are you referencing when you say "most?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have sparked my interest and I have found 3 other manufactures manuals and have not found one that states 200 shots. What company's are you referencing when you say "most?"

Not 10 Point either.

During testing before our state went full inclusion almost every company got together w hunter ed instructors and stated that was recommended n in their literature.

Maybe it's changed? Idk guys but I may stand corrected

I'm not going to try and catch up on this thread. Just going to comment on the OP. I say hunt with whatever you want all season long. I don't see why bow hunters get extra time. The goal is meat and conservation. There's a total number of Deer we want dead. Open the season give out the right amount of tags and let everyone loose. Air, bow, cross, dog, drone, muzzle, rifle, shot whatever floats your boat just be safe.

You do understand bow season wasn't set up as a primary way to big a big part of the harvest? It was set up as a time for guys looking to challenge themselves. This all has changed obviously. My state has now had over 50% harvest during the bow seasons. Mixing all the seasons together though is nuts. Trying to bowhunt would be only shooting them as they ran from a gun hunter as opposed to hunting them under natural conditions.

Seems you prob just gun hunt?

So now you see why a few bowhunters want to be a bit more strict about what is included in bow season. The above attitude is much more prevalent than might be imagined. Anyone interested in maintaining a bow season, should read the above-quoted post and understand that there are a significant number of hunters who do not understand bowhunting (perhaps a huge majority), and do not understand why any weapon is excluded from bow season. Less interest is being shown for the quality or style of the hunt than for simply killing deer in any way possible. That is an attitude that is growing every day and becoming more and more popular among the general hunting population. This idea that the character, style and design of weapons in bow season are unimportant continues to strengthen this notion of no special seasons. It is not the first time you have heard it, and it definitely will not be the last as each incremental weapon is shoved into bow season.

• Like 1

So now you see why a few bowhunters want to be a bit more strict about what is included in bow season. The above attitude is much more prevalent than might be imagined. Anyone interested in maintaining a bow season, should read the above-quoted post and understand that there are a significant number of hunters who do not understand bowhunting (perhaps a huge majority), and do not understand why any weapon is excluded from bow season. Less interest is being shown for the quality or style of the hunt than for simply killing deer in any way possible. That is an attitude that is growing every day and becoming more and more popular among the general hunting population. This idea that the character, style and design of weapons in bow season are unimportant continues to strengthen this notion of no special seasons. It is not the first time you have heard it, and it definitely will not be the last as each incremental weapon is shoved into bow season.

It is not that I don't understand bow hunting. I bow hunted for years. I don't understand why you can't bow hunt while I shotgun hunt. I prefer a shotgun with a smooth barrel to a rifle. Once the regs come out I'm hoping to prefer an air rifle. That's my thing. Yours is a bow. Why can't we share the woods?

It's not that I'm less interested in the quality or style of hunting. My style is just different than yours. Our goals are different. You're after that big buck while my goal is conservation. The way I see it going after that big buck and doing all the management that comes with it is genetic engineering not conservation. And if my attitude is becoming more prevalent then we should find a way to work together instead of against each other. Change is a part of life. It's how we've survived. It should be embraced not fought. 

You do understand bow season wasn't set up as a primary way to big a big part of the harvest? It was set up as a time for guys looking to challenge themselves. This all has changed obviously. My state has now had over 50% harvest during the bow seasons. Mixing all the seasons together though is nuts. Trying to bowhunt would be only shooting them as they ran from a gun hunter as opposed to hunting them under natural conditions.

Seems you prob just gun hunt?

Currently I just gun hunt as my passion is hound hunting. I Deer hunt for the meat and conservation. I fill nuisance tags all summer long. What I don't eat the dogs do. I'm not just after that big buck. I'm after keeping crop damage and insurance rates down. I don't see why it's nuts. I hunt with a guy that bow hunts all season long. He's not allowed to own a gun because of a mistake he made a long time ago. I see Deer running after they've been shot at by a bow. What's the difference between that and a gun? I think what you're associating with is hunting styles not the weapons of choice. The fact that more people gun hunt is what causes the problem you're seeing. If you flooded the woods with that many guys during bow season you'd have the same effect. Especially if someone figured out how to drive deer and shoot them with a bow. Like by using drones. Again that is a difference in the style of hunting not the weapon of choice. 

It is not that I don't understand bow hunting. I bow hunted for years. I don't understand why you can't bow hunt while I shotgun hunt. I prefer a shotgun with a smooth barrel to a rifle. Once the regs come out I'm hoping to prefer an air rifle. That's my thing. Yours is a bow. Why can't we share the woods?

It's not that I'm less interested in the quality or style of hunting. My style is just different than yours. Our goals are different. You're after that big buck while my goal is conservation. The way I see it going after that big buck and doing all the management that comes with it is genetic engineering not conservation. And if my attitude is becoming more prevalent then we should find a way to work together instead of against each other. Change is a part of life. It's how we've survived. It should be embraced not fought.

. Listen sorry but if you don't understand why he can't bow hunt while you hunt with a shot gun, and why you can't share the woods your don't know jack about bow hunting

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure if you choose to hunt with your bow during the regular gun season you are free to do so....just have to hunt under the regular season rules as far as tagging goes if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

I see Deer running after they've been shot at by a bow. What's the difference between that and a gun?

The difference for me is that rather loud BANG!!! b]efore the deer runs...listen I don't care if cross bows are included I own one...I do care about whether the cross bow hunters have taken the bow hunting course like the rest of us did. Do that and I have no qualms. Now gun in bow NO! sorry I went to bow hunting because I had one too many close calls with slugs whistling past my ear...you feel relaxed and comfortably challenged with what ever gun you choose to hunt with in gun season ,well that's great...stay there...Some of us want the peace that comes with hunting not having to hear those constant volleys of bang bang bang and deer running by 30mph. Nor worrying if that zing zing zing through the tree limbs is going to manage to reach you in your stand.

• Like 2

. Listen sorry but if you don't understand why he can't bow hunt while you hunt with a shot gun, and why you can't share the woods your don't know jack about bow hunting

I take offense to that. Hunting is my life and my livelihood. It's not the weapon you use to kill with its how you hunt. I can sit there with a rifle and choose not to take the shot until their within range of a bow. I can choose to make all the same movements and hunt the same way just with a different weapon. The reason I don't bow hunt is that I don't need to. My father fills my bow tag and I spend bow season running coons and turkey hunting. I stopped bow hunting when I went in the service. I got out and my equipment had gone bad in storage. It still sits downstairs. I made the decision not to replace it. If they opened bow season up to gun I would just fill my tags sooner but I would still turkey hunt instead of deer hunt. I'm out in the woods five nights a week. What I've been trying to get across is it's not the weapon that matters it's how you hunt. I'd have no problem if they changed bow season to pay more to hunt season and put regulations in place to limit the styles of hunting allowed, but opened up the weapons of choice. That was what the OP was about. 

It's also off point from the OP. The OP asked what's with the craziness? I don't see it as crazy. I see it as bow hunters not wanting to share the woods. You share it with me while I'm Turkey hunting with my shotgun. Same gun I use to shoot Deer with. I share the woods during spring Turkey season with guys that hunt them with a bow. Why is the difference crazy? 

Edited by Tacti_Steve

The difference is most bow hunters wear camo to avoid being seen . I don't want some hunter out there using a rifle when bow hunters are wearing camo .

Most intelligent hunters wear some Blaze Orange during the gun season .

We don't need to mix and match ! 

The difference is most bow hunters wear camo to avoid being seen . I don't want some hunter out there using a rifle when bow hunters are wearing camo .

Most intelligent hunters wear some Blaze Orange during the gun season .

We don't need to mix and match ! 

I never understood that. I always wear orange and back in the day still killed Deer with a bow. Deer are color blind. What's important is the pattern. You want to be broken up. For Turkey I get it but not for Deer. 

Deer have cones Steve. Cones are color receptors. You may just wanna know that. We all are wrong sometimes.

Consideration for all in having a season is important. Your seemingly selfish. You wanna do what you wanna do n screw anyone else.

Conservation? Hmmm I agree w that but not in your sense. Bow season was not set up as a numbers game. It was set up for hunters who wanted the challenge. You're arguements are weak n make sense only to you but that's who it seems you're only concerned with.

If you wanna hunt earlier pick up a bow n stop crying you can't hunt whenever you want

• Like 2