Trail camera's.....which one?

After reading a post about getting a buck on camera, I'm seriously now thinking of getting a Trail camera. But with a lot of makes and models out on the market now, what do you guys think are the best ones for the money, reliability, etc.? I realize price has to be a limiting factor within reason..............

For someone wanting to buy one trail camera, I'd probably lean to the Browning Strike Force HD or Elite series (2015 or 2016 models).

You can find them for $100-140 (depending on model year).

These cams do everything good-to-very good. Most cams are excellent in one or two uses/areas, but the BTC-5HD and the Elite model are above average on nearly everything that matters.

Ha, and thanks for the love.

No Covert love anymore Phade?

Their wireless tech is lagging behind Spartan and their non-cell cams have not improved on trigger speed/sensing zone or the re-trigger times. Their cams have stayed close to the same or by some accounts have regressed in these areas since 2012. Not so much a case of poor performance, but rather the rest of the crowd catching up and some surpassing.

I am interested in seeing their video cam come to fruition, however.

Also, they still take some of the best daytime photos I've ever seen, and they're generally reliable with some of the best battery life on the market. The remake of their cams this year is definite progress and hopefully the performance of the cams get better with firmware updates or improvements to the 2017 line.

But, if I am buying one cam - it's not likely to be a Covert right now. The trouble is that I don't have a real strong favorite non-cell cam blackflash model at the moment. Most of the current "better" blackflash cams are struggling to move ISO and exposure times at night right now.

Edited by phade

I second what Phade said lol.. i own 2 of them, they are great cams. and i also see that cabelas has a fathers day sale on the recon force by browning..99$ marked down from 150$, might grab one of them too.

Only buy if you will run it 100% on video. The Strike Force is a much better pic camera.

• Like 1

Only buy if you will run it 100% on video. The Strike Force is a much better pic camera.

Thanks for the advice, the reason I would buy this camera would be for video more than pictures, since i finally upgraded to an sd card with more than 4GB memory lol. Is the video quality in the recon force, better than the strike force videos?

Thanks for the advice, the reason I would buy this camera would be for video more than pictures, since i finally upgraded to an sd card with more than 4GB memory lol. Is the video quality in the recon force, better than the strike force videos?

Recon Force and Spec Ops IMO are more geared toward video use - Strike Force and Dark Ops more for pic use.

Vids in the Strike Force are pretty good, but the vids from the Recon Force are close to setting the bar image quality wise. The pics from that cam, however, are well below the Strike Force's quality.

• Like 1

Theres a guy on ebay selling the Browning Dark Ops cams for $79 each, free shipping. They are factory refurbs with a 1 year warranty.

I bought one of these, only the strike force model for 76$ haven't had an issue yet ..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Theres a guy on ebay selling the Browning Dark Ops cams for $79 each, free shipping. They are factory refurbs with a 1 year warranty.

That is the 2014 model - not quite the cam the 2015/2016 versions are.

• Like 1

might want to check out these also. cheap and seem to get pretty good reviews. You can buy two for the price of a more expensive one and have two out there in different spots to cover more ground.  

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/moultrie-a-7i-game-camera.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1cS6BRDvhtKL89em1oIBEiQAtZO5x3ZCW_6oTo6YVOrQgGk72_bLOVnV9lMFLuiRzglPzOQaAo-H8P8HAQ

free shipping and no tax also.

John

There's a new cam model coming out, called ;flsakhdf;lkjsadh gf;lkjahsdflkjasdhlkjhdflasjhflaskjhdf.

They also have a blackflash version called s'gldjfgoisufoixscuvoiwjenc;lkqm wf;lkjdf;lkjhdskfljdsm';lkfjsal;kdfjhklasjfkl;dsaj Elite.

might want to check out these also. cheap and seem to get pretty good reviews. You can buy two for the price of a more expensive one and have two out there in different spots to cover more ground.  

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/moultrie-a-7i-game-camera.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1cS6BRDvhtKL89em1oIBEiQAtZO5x3ZCW_6oTo6YVOrQgGk72_bLOVnV9lMFLuiRzglPzOQaAo-H8P8HAQ

free shipping and no tax also.

John

Decent for a cheap cam, pics are lit OK at night, but the re-trigger time is hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhorrrrrrrrrrrrendous.

• Like 1