I'm Done

fishuntrapper

I saw the light back in 2003, and as much as I imagined that life would become very sedate and calm, with all the time in the world now available to me, what I found out was that I am now busier than anytime involving my career (even with massive hours of overtime).

I have seen people who were ill-prepared for retirement, and felt lost by what they perceive as "lost purpose". There is as much preparation along the mental sides of retirement as there is for the financial side. Often we spend so much of our lives and involvement at work that we don't know how to handle freedom. It took a while for me to "re-make" myself, but when I actually did it, I learned that there really is life outside the corporations; Life that is customized to serving myself rather than corporate demands. And believe it or not, there really is more fulfilling activities than just pleasing a boss. 

• Like 2

Doc I m like you went from the corp world to retirement and never looked back. Started my own little archery shop and had it running for about 12 years, then wife asked me to close down so we did not have all the traffic at odd hours at the house. Now it still is a great place to live, have my own 32 target 3D course setup on 5 acres of land. Have one or two buddies that I shoot weekly with. Love to fish in the local ponds. Life is good for me at 75. Most of all still the best wife in the world who put up with this old fool. Great kids and now grand kids.

• Like 4

thanks to all for the congrats and good wishes. spent the first few days of my retirement at our property in Franklinville. always something to do at a camp. I think I am mentally prepared for this...... a couple of stands to put up with shooting lanes to clear, another trail cam or two to put up, a new rifle to sight in, traps to clean and prepare for trapping season, a couple of properties to check out where owners want some critters removed, a new motor on my old boat that needs to be wore out fishing, the company I retired from gave me several hundred dollars in fishing stuff ( glad I did not get a watch) so I need to see how many of those lures I can loose. and the list can go on. I think my mind is in the right place. thanks again to all.

• Like 3