Trail cam tips.... Help me out.

So my buddy and I are doing a small plot in an attempt to pull the deer from the outskirts of his property to the interior.

db39aa81d64cf772e48ccdb47577e998.jpg

Th is is the initial clear. I went in the rain today and cleaned it up further as well as cleared a shooting lane into the plot.

I have a block I put in today to start drawing them. And I am going to put in 2 cams to see what can be seen.

I am looking for tips as to weatherproofing and or protecting them.

I am only getting 50$ cams and the pictures they take will suit my purpose. But I do have weatherproofing concerns.

My thought is to take a sheet of metal. Bend a peak into it then cut out a half circle to serve as a roof of sorts over the cam. Secure it with a screw on either side or a small bungee...

This obviously won't completely weatherproof cam but it should divert a good portion of the rain.

Thoughts? Tips?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

The thing about making a hood is it helps to block sun glare  if cam has to be in a specific direction and it does help keep moisture from your lens...The roundness of the pot helps direct rains to the side of cam and not dripping as much in the front(which will cause a trigger issue)Also helps with snow in the winter..you do need to test height for flash issues at night.

I've made those rain hoods before out of pie tins, "L" brackets and painted them flat black. Yeah, they will protect the cam from some rain, but they have their drawbacks. If you put the hood too close above the cam, it'll block some ambient light and you'll end up getting false flashes during normal daylight hours. Too far above cam & they don't provide the protection you'd thought they would. Not hardly worth the time, effort or expense to try and protect a waterproof cam with a rain visor!

It's just a block of untreated 2x2 about 4 inches long, soaked in Apple scent, hanging about 12 feet off the ground near the edge of the property.

By pruning back the Appletrees and underbrush around them we hope they will produce more heavily this year. We hope that with a patch of clover/kalewith draw deer in.

The block is just a test hypothesis. Since mineral/food licks are illegal but attractant are not. I figure it was worth a shot to see if the Apple attractants my buddy uses actually work.

The block is unreachable by deer so as to prevent them being able to lick it. And I expect the scent will be gone within 48 hrs.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about the trail cam. I have two trail cams and they are the cheapest ones I could find. One is a Moultrie, I think the other is wild game innovations but I am not positive. Both have been out in the rain, snow, heat and cold and I haven't had a problem with either, other than someone stealing my SD card. Probably because the were trespassing.