worst deer caliber article

Couldn't help but laugh most the way through this, guys pretty funny.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/content/worst-deer-calibers-ever

Though it was pretty funny when he was talking about the 300

the .300 RUM is overdoing it. This .404 Jeffery case necked down to .30 is a monster of size, powder burn, recoil and game-mutilating overkill--but at least it will make you deaf. The .300 RUM is a gun I own and shoot, but I wish I had a .300 RCM instead. The last mulie I shot with my .300 RUM was killed at the usual hunting distance of about 100 yards and looked like it had a grenade shoved inside it, like it never had bones, a skin full of slush. There is nothing the RUM can do that a WSM, RCM or even a Winchester Magnum can't, sorry. I don't need a one-inch-longer cartridge case for a meager gain in ballistics, not at the expense of an unwieldy, barrel-throating monster that sometimes gives me a bloody nose just from concussion, not recoil.

ON THE OTHER HAND: If you had to pick just one gun--which is always a good idea--to kill about everything in the world with, and you're a guy who deals well with recoil and long actions, it's hard to begrudge these superguns. You will get exit wounds. Bonus: If you miss a dream buck and hit the ground by its feet, it just might trip in the crater the .300 RUM made and break its neck. Also, it's fun to watch the gun geeks crowd around at the range and fondle your carrot-size cartridges, not to mention the fact that nobody is going to call you a wuss. Go ahead, close your eyes, weep softly, and pull that trigger.

:P:D :D

I borrowed a 300wm from a friend while I was in the Army to hunt deer. After I took out a loan to buy 20 bullets, I shot it 5 times to sight it in and I was like that is good enough. I was hurting for a week after that, but that was when I weighed around 150. Ive put another 60 lbs on top of that so maybe it wouldn't hurt so bad now.  :P

Entertaining article....Trampled on a few sacred cows, such as the ever popular 7MM Rem Mag...

My own pet cartridge, the .280 Rem, made the list, also... ;) ... I must admit the .280 would not be so appealing to me if I were not a handloader....

I wonder what the Canadians think of his opinion of the .303 Brit, however..??.. That round may have killed more deer ( and moose) in Canada than all other chamberings combined...

Entertaining article....Trampled on a few sacred cows, such as the ever popular 7MM Rem Mag...

My own pet cartridge, the .280 Rem, made the list, also... :) ... I must admit the .280 would not be so appealing to me if I were not a handloader....

I wonder what the Canadians think of his opinion of the .303 Brit, however..??.. That round may have killed more deer ( and moose) in Canada than all other chamberings combined...

so did my 300 savage.  I know it was tongue in cheek, but I felt offended.  I have had several deer go bang flop with that caliber.

Bubba... Yes the .300 savage is truly a classic deer cartridge, and was extremely popular in NY and PA until the  .308 Win and it's offspring became available...

It is a step up in  performance from the 30-30 / 32 Special  and was available in a very handy lever action.. The Savage 99, as well as several bolt actions and pump guns...

Personally I tend to prefer chamberings that are a little different...That's why I have never hunted with a .270, .308, 30-06 ( except my Garand M1)  or 7mm Rem Mag...

EVERYONE hunts with one of them... ::) ......

Nearly all of my rifle big game hunting has been done with the 7MM08, 7 x57, .280 Rem and 9.3 x 62...

well the 308 is just an offspring of the 300 savage. it was developed off the 300 savage case.  The 300 savage was the cartridge of choice for the military until they figured out they could change it slightly and not have to pay savage.  The only difference is the length of the neck on the cartridge. I have a model 99 and will never feel under gunned from deer to moose.  So plese do not think you have something better with a 308, just more popular.  I tend to stay away from conventional popular calibers also. I currently use a 25-06 encore and am planning to have a 250-3000 savage barrel made for it, which is a 300 necked down.  I took my savage out this fall as I do a few times a year.  It was my Dad's, so I cherish it.  Anyway at 130 yards, it knocked a doe right off her feet and she never moved.  I am very pleased with the performance with a 150 grain hornady bullets and 39 grains of IMR 4895. 

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I had a tang safety M77 in .338 Win with the hard red pad and it was BRUTAL to shoot from the bench..

I stuck it in a synthetic stock with a better pad and had it ported... That tamed the recoil down significantly, but it it was LOUD and it still kicked pretty bad..

I peddled it and bought a CZ 550 in 9.3 x 62...I still get good performance with relatively heavy bullets and  flat enough trajectory for the odd 300 yard shot on big game...

And I don't get beat up nearly so badly at the bench... ??? ....

As rifles go, the 7MM mag is not that bad..Certainly easier on the shoulder than any pump shotgun with slugs...

As previous posters have said, with a decent pad and stock design, it is not bad at all...

Jack O'Connor  used the 7mm Rem mag a lot ( inspite of his affection for the .270) and he once wrote that one reason for the 7mms popularity is that it is the heaviest ( recoil) rifle that many shooters can handle without developing a flinch...The 7mm mags I have shot kick about like a 30-06 with heavy bullets...

In my opinion,heavy recoiling rifles start in the .300 mag/.338 Win class...

All that said, I am not a big fan of the 7 Mags.. In my opinion , most hunters are better served by a cartridge in the .270/.280, 7mm08 , .308 class, which will do everything we need to do at the ranges that most of us shoot, and do it with considerably less muzzle blast and recoil...

My 7mag,an older,(heavy PIG) Rem 700 ADL with SS bbl kicks way less than my newer Rem 700BDL 308. After shooting 2-3shot groups I want to put it away,seriously. The 7mag I could shoot all day,I'm sure the weight and magna porting helps alot though. I'm a big guy and that 308 whoops me but good,actually makes me black and blue. The wifes mod seven 7mm-08 is the sweetest rifle you could ever want to shoot....really shoots good and easy on the shooter.

• 3 weeks later...