Fishing Superstitions

grampy

We have already covered the banana on the fishing boat superstition in another thread. Another one is loose change in your pocket. Just wondering if any other fishermen out there have superstitions? I'm not sure how they get their start, but being around tournament anglers, you see guy's doing some pretty weird stuff!  So what do you say, silly or superstitious? And if you have one, what is it?

I've always been superstitious when it comes to sports and that carried over into hunting and fishing.

Fishing-wise, I fish the NYC reservoirs so it's rowboats only and no motors allowed. I have my pliers and tape measure on my seat to my right. My boga grip behind me on floor, and beer or coffee to my left. Always the same exact setup, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The boga is awesome for reviving coldwater fish after a tough fight. Can't tell you how many deep fish we have brought to the boat that would have died on release if not for the boga.

Oh and I really don't have any superstitions. I just blame the fish when they aren't biting.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

Accepted an invite about two years ago to troll for some trout on one of the NYC reservoirs from some guys working the same job site.

Couldn't wait til that evening was over; those two had more rules and superstitions, made for a looong evening.

At one point I considered swimming back to shore.

Thank god I drove and didn't have to ride with them.

• Like 2

Accepted an invite about two years ago to troll for some trout on one of the NYC reservoirs from some guys working the same job site.

Couldn't wait til that evening was over; those two had more rules and superstitions, made for a looong evening.

At one point I considered swimming back to shore.

Thank god I drove and didn't have to ride with them.

Oh yeah, I've fished with guy's like that! Usually only once though. Takes all the fun out fishing. My rules are always enforced in a fun way. Lots of good natured ribbing and laughter on my boat. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I've fished a few Federation and BASS Pro-.Am's over the years. And almost all the pro's were really cool guys. But I had a well known pro once, that after the first hour I was ready to swim back! What a jerk!

Just to finish the rest of the story in my original post. After throwing Joe's banana's over the side I treated him to a fine lunch and cold beer on one of the lakeside eateries. After that, we went back out and caught a bunch more bass. He still busts on me for throwing out his lunch though!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I've fished with guy's like that! Usually only once though. Takes all the fun out fishing. My rules are always enforced in a fun way. Lots of good natured ribbing and laughter on my boat. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Here's one I can remember;

No yellow clothing,  maybe comes from the banana thing?.

Anyway there were a few trout caught and I learned a bit about trolling lead core line which was interesting.

After one, I let them reel and land anything else as i didn't want to figure out the rules as I went......those guys were "intense" about fishing.

Like fingernails on a chalkboard for the rest of it...... 

• Like 1

Never name a new boat the first year owning it, first fish of the day gets released regardless, one thats pretty popular is kiss the fish, pour a touch of rum in the water to get the fish god to share his fish, redheads on a boat are bad luck, females on a boat are bad luck ( this one is actually true for me, the few times the misses has gone on the boat with me we never catch anything), no loose change in your pocket, always rinse your net off after netting a fish.  I have heard a lot of them over the years fishing the PWT.

• Like 1

Never name a new boat the first year owning it, first fish of the day gets released regardless, one thats pretty popular is kiss the fish, pour a touch of rum in the water to get the fish god to share his fish, redheads on a boat are bad luck, females on a boat are bad luck ( this one is actually true for me, the few times the misses has gone on the boat with me we never catch anything), no loose change in your pocket, always rinse your net off after netting a fish. I have heard a lot of them over the years fishing the PWT.

Some good ones there! I'll have to give the rum one a try! Thanks.

If you don't catch anything here, your not going catch anything anywhere...that's what my friends Grandfather used to tell us when he took us out fishing when we were kids. Sometimes I really believe it....LOL

• Like 1