Putting out Trail Cameras

Jjeangler23

That's a lot of cams

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Right around 5-6 cams per property that we hunt.

But, I've never had such little time available for scouting in my life, so the cams will have to pick up some of the slack this year. July-Sept should be better for me, but post-season and pre-green up scouting was practically impossible with work.

The more painful part is that is alot of money, lol. The wife and I have been discussing a getaway vacation since we've been so busy. I didn't want to draw attention to the five Spartans sitting beside me on the couch that would have paid for a Caribbean cruise for two.

I have two. My left eye and my right eye. Three if both eyes are open.

I go back and forth, but moving made my decision for me. I will most likely be primarily hunting public land for a few years. Not leaving anything on public land. Except, used TP. It's biodegradable. 

I put 3 out sometime in the summer . I pretty much have stands all set late winter early spring , over the last 30 years I pretty much leave them where I know they'll work. What walks by walks by .

I run cameras all year long. I don't run all of them through winter though. Usually just leave 1-2 out over winter to keep an eye on what's moving around. Right now I have 5 working cameras and 2 old dead moultries that I use as trespasser bait/deterrence. Planning to add 2 more new cameras by October. I love seeing all sorts of wildlife on my cameras. They are good for more than just deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend said his 3 Moultries died too. What brand do you find most reliable ?

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to that. Every cam, including Reconyx has its issues of some sort. Moultrie (while I am not a huge fan of) is no worse or better than the others in the same price point.

Rule of thumb for non cell/data cams should be for every $50 spent, you should get one year of service. For a $100 cam, if you are on year three, you are "money in the bank."

People's expectations of cameras are simply too high I find. These cams sit in harsh conditions and we expect them to stay outside 365 or go in and out of homes which potentially has worse effects.

Right around 5-6 cams per property that we hunt.

But, I've never had such little time available for scouting in my life, so the cams will have to pick up some of the slack this year. July-Sept should be better for me, but post-season and pre-green up scouting was practically impossible with work.

The more painful part is that is alot of money, lol. The wife and I have been discussing a getaway vacation since we've been so busy. I didn't want to draw attention to the five Spartans sitting beside me on the couch that would have paid for a Caribbean cruise for two.

if she's anything like my wife she noticed but didn't say anything.  then on vacation little extras here and there that she'd like get brought up.  so the moral of the story is last year we went to Jamaica and this year it's Punta Cana. haha  both all inclusive... during the first week of bow season.