So how are those garden harvest.....

growalot

Coming along....I just picked/pulled the 3rd and final harvest from my first Spinach crop...the second is up and growing great...same with my lettuce and today I will be planting more...I have flowers on the cukes and a small zucchini that should be ready tomorrow...the second planting of swt. corn has broken ground and I have bird netting strung 3ft over the top of it. All other plants are growing great some of the peppers/tomato are in flower.

The plot garden,I share with deer, is growing all except the corn...4 50ft rows ,4 20ft rows and 3 100ft rows of swt corn. not one seed came up...I went to check and at the end of  the 20ft rows a near perfectly round 2" x16" in dusting bowl sat....so I'm pretty sure I didn't plant it too deep and the wire worms didn't get it. Birds ,including turkey, have been a real PITA this year....may just skip corn next year..Could have bought frozen all winter for what this cost me...lol

The pumpkin ,acorn and melons are all out of the ground and looking good...well as of yesterday...we'll see ;)

So how are your gardens doing?

• Like 2

Our little garden is doing well. Constantly eating lettuce from it. Banana pepper plants are only 12" tall but crazy big peppers already. Some small tomatoes on a few plants . Few bell peppers starting . Zapped a chipmunk from the sugar snap peas today. Little bastid. Should be a good harvest this year. Rabbits are mildly absent this year. Despite the drought and lots of watering I'm pleased overall.

post-4567-0-51485200-1466727636_thumb.jp

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

This year is probably one of the best for gardens that we have had in a long time. BUT!.... beware of the stinking drought that is underway. For those of us that do not have water sources near the garden, things may go bad in a hurry. Right now I am carrying water from the little pond behind the barn. But the water level there is going down real fast and it may be dry before too long.

• Like 1

I started some pepper plants and tomato plants inside earlier but I planted everything the last week in May.  We got a couple frosty nights just before that so I held off.

I've got 50+ onions up several inches.

few sweet pepper plants flowered out.  8 more (mixture of sweet and hot peppers) up but only about 5" tall don't think the root systems established as well.

few tomato plants are couple feet tall and starting to get blossoms.

couple seed packets worth of garden beans leafed out and up around 5".  don't know how many plants but a lot.

zucchini plants are leafed out and up a few inches. throughout the garden were I don't have raised beds.  there's 16 of those with possibly a few more popping up.

I'd be harvesting already if I had a greenhouse but I don't so I end up waiting later to plant than some.

haven't put down plastic but now that stuff is out of the ground I might to control weeds.  haven't fertilized yet but there big enough now I will start with liquid fertilizer.  trying some different things this year hopefully it doesn't flop like last year when I changed a lot up.

6/25/16

Tomatoes are looking good with some blossoms already 

Potato plants are up to 20" tall

Broccoli plants are just starting to form heads. 

Peppers are budding up to blossom

Spinach is harvested and eaten

Squash & cucumber plants are up and looking good.

Head lettuce is struggling but alive.

Leaf lettuce is about ready to use.

Carrots & parsnips are up and looking good

Real late on planting peas ... That was an after-thought. Not up yet.

Peppers and tomatoes are doing fine.Mellons/squash doing well also,nothing to harvest eat from the garden but been picking wild berries past few nights after work.I have frozen nearly 10 quarts of black caps so far.

Peppers and tomatoes are doing fine.Mellons/squash doing well also,nothing to harvest eat from the garden but been picking wild berries past few nights after work.I have frozen nearly 10 quarts of black caps so far.

wife wanted to head to the farm and gather some.  might this weekend.

Collards and cabbage...and yep those few rains we had helped a very little......but the ground is so hot and the sun so bright everything just evaporates before it can soak in...we need a full day of actual showers

There's lots more but my batteries died...

• Like 1

The soil in those pics really doesnt look very rich...but all those areas had clover growing in them last year through winter,plus the deer fertilized it well last fall and part of the winter...I cut and disced it in this spring before planting..so so dry here.

a690d0b5bd4be25ad174073eccd4d56a.jpg

I know this isn't something done commonly here but back where my family is from this is something everyone did if they knew where the trees were. These are the flowers from a basswood tree and it makes amazing tea. About an hours work of picking maybe 3% of the tree yielded me months worth of tea. All I have to do now is pick some more and let them dry for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the banana pepper plants being stunted to drought it looks as if the peppers are ready to be picked. Turning a slight orange. Time to mix up a spicy sausage and cheese mixture to stuff them, wrap them in bacon and smoke them. They'll soon be making an appearance on "what's on your smoker today? " and "what's for dinner thread"   Cross referenced with a beer for "Beer" thread of course :cheese: 

Radar showed no clouds so I went to garden on foot with liquid calcium and blossom set...the Roma's have blossom end rot...makes me mad..so far only variety to have it but they are my canning meat and potatoes. I limed the crud out of that area to avoid this...but the lack of water until now stressed them.

I get everything sprayed and BOOM!!!made me squat and tuck...then make a run for It. Just hit the deck and the sky opened up and right above us a sonic crack boom....so much for the spaying foliage...'lol No complaints we seriously need this lightening and all.