Rain...

I just got in from the garden....It was sunny and hot ,next thing I know I'm getting soaked...still sunny I look up raining pretty good ...blue skies???..Just enough to make weeding miserable. Keep me from picking the beans and soak me to the bone...then the steam started rolling off every thing....

So one has to laugh.... bad no rain but now we are staying damp all the time and there is ZERO wind in the hills...We've checked around to others farther and close by...They are having the same highly unusual problem...problem higher altitudes.Sun,damp but no wind to dry anything up fully...here come the fungus's and bacterial problems...lol danged if it doesn't ,danged if it does rain....lol

Finally getting some rain today. So far we have had 5 storms 10 to 15 minute bursts. Im hoping food plots and the farmers corn perks up . I was going to till and plant a small plot up this am but didnt think we were going to get any rain. Dang,missed that one. Keep doing the rain dance.

This is my "Murder Plot".. The freshly planted patch of Double Beam in the center, which has sprouted. The spotty green around the fresh dirt, is what used to be thick, lush WI fusion Clover back in end of May. The clover is still there, and real thick yet, but only 2 or 3 inches tall.. We got about 2" of rain in the last week and a half, So im hoping that rain will jump start these clovers some, Corn field to the far right is tasseled and only 3-4ft tall in most spots. Pic taken Friday 8/12

Murder Plot 8-16.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ive mowed 3 or 4 times all summer. Once was just knocking down some weeds that were popping up. Maybe Ill mow this week.

Its crazy how dry you guys are, we are up 2 inches for the summer (but still down for the year) and I try to mow every 4-5 days or its a hay field. Nate and I are sick of mowing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

Its crazy how dry you guys are, we are up 2 inches for the summer (but still down for the year) and I try to mow every 4-5 days or its a hay field. Nate and I are sick of mowing!

Its getting better, as weve been getting rain more frequently the last couple of weeks, but we are way down still.

I went back and looked at the previous 10 years for May 1 - August 23 and heres what it looks like for Rochester (airport)

06 15.52

07 5.63

08 10.81

09 15.16

10 16.70

11 12.85

12 10.65

13 16.60

14 15.05

15 17.83

16 7.74

I've been in the Outer Banks since Friday but I've heard we got some rain and decent growing weather. That would be perfect, since Thursday before we left I spread urea by hand, over 2 of my 3 brassicas plots. I love vacations but I do miss my dirt life, sand makes me angry lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just got back from doing some work...got caught in a down pour...kinda nice a bit warm and so refreshing...any ways I over seeded the plots I planted a bit ago...the WW was thin on turnips and the mowed turnip plot in the bean/weed field needed a bit more and there were a few bare spots in the old clover turnip field...I actually do this on purpose so that I have both big mature bulbs and smaller easy to pull ones for the fawns....works out well.I can't believe how much everything is growing. the Frost master peas have pods and lots of flowers...tasted the peas, they are very sweet actually.... But nothing is touching them...they are eating the bean plants and the hemp...beans are 3 ft but will never flower they keep topping them...so I won't be buying those peas ever again. The paddock turnips are thick and the deer are testing... plants pulled not eaten......but there is clover mixed in with that.