Woodchuck bait?

philoshop

I've trapped many woodchucks over the years. I always use an apple for woodchucks. I hang an apple at the back of the cage from a wire, to ensure they can't just grab the bait and go. By using a whole apple, prolongs the life of the bait. Won't shrivel up, wilt, rot, or attract insects as quickly as other baits (lettuce, cantelope, carrots, greens, etc...). I'll use small bite sized bits of apples to lay a trail to the trap, as more enticement to wet their appetite.

You could also put the trap right up to the entrance of the hole and use scrap wood, bricks, or whatever to give it no choice but to go into the trap.

Good luck!

• Like 2

so "walk" box trap to neighbor you don't like, open car door and release captured critter. All legal........as far as I know :rolleyes:

I don't have any neighbors I don't like. That's part of the reason why I didn't just shoot the 'chuck in my driveway yesterday morning. I was sooooo tempted though. :rolleyes:  A 25 yard 'gimme' with the .17, and no likely pass-through, was very tempting.

I also have #220 conibear traps, but there are some neighborhood house-kitties that wander through and take care of the mice for me.

• Like 1

I had some stuff that I bought at Gander Mt several years ago . It was woodchuck bail that had a melon smell . It was blue in color . I put a little bit on some lettuce and that seemed to work . I made the mistake of loaning it to a friend who "lost" the bottle . So , I was only out 8 bucks . It had a real strong melon smell . 

A few packs of Juicy fruit chewing gum will do the trick,also a mixture of oatmeal and plaster works well.I think fast eddie is correct about transporting them I also believe you need a trapping license even when using a live trapp

Another idea is to club them and eat them,remember to remove fatty/oil pockets from under front legs.Clean skin and par boil like with most small game wrap in bacon and bake for about 6 hours on 275 yumm.

Another idea is to club them and eat them,remember to remove fatty/oil pockets from under front legs.Clean skin and par boil like with most small game wrap in bacon and bake for about 6 hours on 275 yumm.

Um ya, no thanks    But if you do cook the chuck you MUST post on "what's for dinner" thread !

Oatmeal and plaster ?  And use as spackle to fill holes in wall with woodchuck?

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Um ya, no thanks    But if you do cook the chuck you MUST post on "what's for dinner" thread !

Oatmeal and plaster ?  And use as spackle to fill holes in wall with woodchuck?

Dry oatmeal mixed with plaster the rodent will then search for water by that time it will have already expired.I have eaten them they are good tasting but very stringy.

I have eaten them a couple of times and have to admit they were pretty good. They don't last too long around my place, this one tried to move into the "Storm and Strife's" flower garden and quickly found out it was not a very good idea.

Al

2024665420033835012ePcaEz_ph_zpsvwcy2rct

• Like 1

We had one living under our front porch.  I placed two live traps out there this afternoon, one baited with a whole banana, the other with a whole apple.  I also put some small pieces of apple near the doors of the traps.   Less than 2 hours after setting the trap, the chuck chose the banana as his last meal.   I dispatched him with a .22 to the head and threw the carcass out back to feed the buzzards.

• Like 1