Beat the heat for rabbit

Bird netting TF...it's what protected most mine.Then my second corn planting after the birds got the first one...it's now going over the blue berries.

That's a nice looking beagle Paula..my Grandfather ran beagles.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Ahhh "Running the dogs" I can remember my Dad taking me along when I was a little kid to run his Beagles. He would put me on his shoulders when crossing streams and going through high brush. great memories and it sure planted the seeds and got me hooked on hunting with dogs at an early age.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I few days ago I saw this guy in my neighborhood acting suspiciously.  He was walking down the sidewalk then wandering up driveways and lawns, like he was monkeyed up on crack and going to break in.  I watched him from a distance and spotted him going into some bushes about 5-6 houses down from me.  I then saw a lady facing him, about 50' away and she was on the phone.......I thought, damn, she's calling the police!  I walked closer in case she needed some help.  As I got closer I saw she was smiling........I said hello and asked what the guy was doing.  LOL, he's looking for a lost rabbit and it was in her shrubs. :)

I walked closer and see this GIANT rabbit.  I mean HUGE............I bet it weighed 25lbs.  Huge eared ugly thing that it was....

I offered to bring Jenny down as I was sure she could catch the beast. :)  (No guarantee on it being dead or alive though)   He passed on my generous offer........

Turns out the rabbit had spent the better part of the day hanging out in this ladies beds as it was cooler and damp from watering.  The guy finally cornered the thing and got it back home. 

• Like 4

Holy hell they are slippery!

I'll bet you accidently grabbed the "bunny HUGGER" soles instead of the "bunny HUNTER" soles.

Clean 'em up, take them back, and tell them you want to exchange them for the right style.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Paula- please be very careful running your beagle in this hot and humid weather. Your beagle, like my 3 beagles, is so devoted to the run that he will not stop unless you stop him from running, and he may suffer heat stroke and
even possible death if you do not stop him after a short period of time. I will not run my dogs at all in this weather, and I sure do not want to put up with the insects and poison ivy this time of year. I never run my dogs during the summer, and believe me, it has no effect whatsoever on their hunting quality come hunting season. In my 50+ years of owning beagles I have never run them this time of year.

• Like 1

I've run them in the summer as long as its was not too hot and only in the morning but I think its more me not being able to handle the bugs and the heat. If I do I usually don't run them for more than an hour and as long as it is cool. I mainly run them to get them into shape as they tend to get a little plump and need to build up their endurance prior to opening day. 

• Like 1

Id always run them in summer too. Look for signs of stress but they do acclimate. Field trials are run in the heat of summer, heat of the day. Dogs that don't run in the heat can't hang. 

Same for cold, had a friend lose a dog in winter run snowshoes too long, started coughing up blood. It's lungs froze. 

Not good stuff. But mornings especially in the summer are fine. One point being all the old tracks, easy lines n visible rabbits. Not the best for teaching a dog to hunt not just run paths. 

ive judged n run dogs thatd been run too much n all they do is run paths. Another consideration 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paula said:

I had them out from 530 to 8am. I don't take him if it's over 70 and humid. I do have to force him down  

Bones don't stay on the paths, my other dog does because I think he doesn't want to get dirty   Lol

Wasn't referring to you n Bones young lady, just answering a dif post 

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1