Hunting arrow weight

stoneam2006

Ok guys I'm looking at arrows and can't decide I'm trying to figure out best weight for Whitetail and bear. 400 spine or 250 is carbon express.

Htx 60# 85%let off 27.5 dl

Right now looking at carbon express pile drivers would put me at 450 ish but can't decide opinions?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Go as heavy as your able while maintaining a good velocity. I too went a lot heavier this year, I went from 7.4gpi to 10.9gpi. I lost a lot of speed but I'm still at the 300-310 mark where I'm happy. Noone complains about overpenetration, only under. A lot will depend on your broad head choice also, big cut mechanicals need more energy than say a 1 1/8" fixed head. Don't get too caught up in the KE hype either, its not a true measurement for penetration.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go as heavy as your able while maintaining a good velocity. I too went a lot heavier this year, I went from 7.4gpi to 10.9gpi. I lost a lot of speed but I'm still at the 300-310 mark where I'm happy. Noone complains about overpenetration, only under. A lot will depend on your broad head choice also, big cut mechanicals need more energy than say a 1 1/8" fixed head. Don't get too caught up in the KE hype either, its not a true measurement for penetration.

I'd like to run rage 2 bade hopefully around 1.5 cut or bigger...but will see how it shoots with my muzzy I have now before I switch. So bc the mechanical rages are big Dia I'd need a heavier arrow? The pile drivers are 10.1 gpi iirc

My wife and now 12yr old son shoot the 250 Piledrivers. 60# 26 inch draws and 27 inch arrows finished come to 450. I just weighed them, plenty of weight for deer.

That's exactly where I'm looking except I'd be around 28.5 inch arrows still gotta measure that.

You are fine to shoot mechanicals with your set up. Any lower than 60 and I would look at the heads built for lower ke.

Edit to add IMO and I am not an expert on mechanicals. I switched to them two years ago. I shoot NAP Killzones and what ever their three blades are called. Lol

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Yes you are fine to shoot mechanicals, just don't have a lightweight arrow and try to cut a huge hole through something. Your penetration will suffer. Don't plan for when everything goes right, plan on something that'll work when everything goes wrong... Which is penetration. Without penetration it doesn't matter what head you use.

• Like 1

This seems to be an annual debate on the forum. The ole hwgt, piledriving arrows vs the lg wgt. flatter trajectory ones... Basically comes down to being a personal preference! Different, yeah, but a lot of similarities to the debates over handguns or long rifles, which caliber is best??? Really have to look at the big picture of your bow hunting, from tackle, proficiency, personal effective range, expectations to hunting techniques and not solely at what happens at impact.Review all the opinions, but ultimately it's your choice!

• Like 2

Thanks guys think I'm convinced I'm going to run the 425 450 weight arrows with rage 2 blade mechs

Edit gonna start new topic on rages stop over lol

i shoot 2 blade rage heads.  not the xtreme just the regular ones and mostly the titaniums that they don't make anymore.  similar to the SST rage heads.  my arrow weight is 420 grains finished.  i'm a 29" draw shooting average diameter arrows (Easton Lightspeed 3D 340).  I shoot 65#.  bows range from 330-345 fps IBO.  everyone has been a pass through so far with those setups.  quiet a few deer too ranging from mature 120ish lb doe to a couple bucks bigger and heavier than my 215 lb frame.

• Like 1

Not to be a jerk, but we can offer recommendations. You you have to try different combinations.. Arrows and broad heads. No one can tell you what your bow will shoot the best. Arrows are like rifle bullets. You need to fit to the weight and draw length. I shoot 30" mainly, and my full weight for my arrows is usually around 450. I like 125's for my broad heads. Always fixed. When it comes to bow hunting, less is more. The less you have to worry about the more you gain.

Edited by ....rob

Not to be a jerk, but we can offer recommendations. You you have to try different combinations.. Arrows and broad heads. No one can tell you what your bow will shoot the best. Arrows are like rifle bullets. You need to fit to the weight and draw length. I shoot 30" mainly, and my full weight for my arrows is usually around 450. I like 125's for my broad heads. Always fixed. When it comes to bow hunting, less is more. The less you have to worry about the more you gain.

....Doesn't own a bow even......and bow/arrows are nothing like rifle/bullets, not even close.

So the typical saying is 5 pp right?

bow manufacturers typically have a minimum arrow weight of 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight.  shooting that though will leave you with a louder bow, more wear and tear on the bow, less penetration, etc.  it's good for unmarked range target shooting but not really ideal for hunting.  most all setups end up being heavier than 5 gpp.  even if your arrow setup was light and flatter shooting you should still use a rangefinder or hone your range estimating skills.  don't over think it.

• Like 1

Well I do own a bow and I think it's funny all this technical talk of arrow weights and such...I shoot 49#'s and honestly have know idea what my arrows weigh. I shoot direct from box going by whats listed on the back and use 100gr. fixed blades I need the full length because I do not shoot with sites and full length works with my left eye dominance shooting rt. handed...I have pass throughs at 35 yrds and complete shoulder penetration ( reason I use fixed not mechanical)  at 30yrds........

This isn't a criticism just a statement...I have never gotten the whole making it sound so complicated

Just did the math thay is heavy

..what you shot poundage

Compound is 80 and recurves are both in the 52-53lbs at my DL.  Not the fastest, but hit like a tank.  IMO, if I am off in estimating yardage (benefit of a light arrow) I will still have a bad shot even with light arrows at any distance beyond 30yds.  Inside 30, it makes little difference.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Well I do own a bow and I think it's funny all this technical talk of arrow weights and such...I shoot 49#'s and honestly have know idea what my arrows weigh. I shoot direct from box going by whats listed on the back and use 100gr. fixed blades I need the full length because I do not shoot with sites and full length works with my left eye dominance shooting rt. handed...I have pass throughs at 35 yrds and complete shoulder penetration ( reason I use fixed not mechanical)  at 30yrds........

This isn't a criticism just a statement...I have never gotten the whole making it sound so complicated

Some like to tinker Grow.  Just like most decent hunting ammo will be fine in any gun at most hunting ranges, some are better than others.  Some people try to optimize and others just pull a box off the shelf.  Both can kill deer.  Changes in arrow weight, spine and tip weight has a much greater impact on single string bows than compounds in my experience.   Seems like you devote more time to your property management.  Same thing.  You could kill deer either way there I bet, but you want to optimize.

• Like 1

I suppose I can say I optimize through practice...it's like throwing rocks at any given object..the rocks have no defined shape nor weight...but if you spend enough time throw rocks at things...you can become very proficient at hitting your target.

I threw a lot of rocks was a kid...played a lot of base ball and Was an excellent pitcher. Because I depend on my eye/distance coordination instead of a fixed sight to specific arrow weight. Hard to explain other than memory I guess.

Well I do own a bow and I think it's funny all this technical talk of arrow weights and such...I shoot 49#'s and honestly have know idea what my arrows weigh. I shoot direct from box going by whats listed on the back and use 100gr. fixed blades I need the full length because I do not shoot with sites and full length works with my left eye dominance shooting rt. handed...I have pass throughs at 35 yrds and complete shoulder penetration ( reason I use fixed not mechanical) at 30yrds........

The only reason I am trying to learn all this is due to archery becoming my favorite season and the fact that I finally bought a brand new real good bow so to maximize my experience I want it to be right. Kinda like guys who develop hand loads...are they needed no probably not but to get the full experience and range they are difference makers

• Like 3

Its a hobby and a passion for some, learning all you can will never hinder you. If you want to buy arrows and just shoot them then do that, as long as they perform well who cares, I love the technical aspect of archery and will me knowing exactly what my arrows weigh or the momentum my combination produces kill more deer? Probably not but its peace of mind and I'll take that any day. How far do you want to take your hobby/passion is what you have to ask yourself. I think it would behoove more people than not to pay more attention to their equipment than shooting and wounding something due to a poor setup which could've been avoided. To each their own!

• Like 1