Hunting arrow weight

stoneam2006

I popped one in the shoulder knuckle last year . 65 pound bow shooting a 400g expandable. Luckily we had him on a camera a few weeks later with almost no sign of damage . I was sick for days after that shot.

And that's why I shoot slick tricks! Been there done that and learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70# 460gr arrow tipped with a ramcat. Through front shoulder blade and exited ribs on off side at 32 yds. Kinetic energy is a poor indicator of penetration as it does not directly relate, it only shows energy at the hide of the animal, momentum will tell you more about how your setup will penetrate.

2 minutes ago, Core said:

Seems like a lot of you are probably using fixed broadheads...I'm guessing mechanical would struggle mightily to get through a shoulder even from a very heavy bow.

I shoot mechanicals from my compound, but happily have not shoulder shot a deer with them.  I would prefer fixed blade if that was to happen.  That said, I suspect unless I knuckle it, it would kill the deer.

I know of setups by two people that even shy way from a shoulder hit unless it's 20 yards or so.  even then it's got to be down through the top of the shoulder blade and not down by the joint.

one shoots Rage heads (hypos or chisel tips) out of a 70 lb newer bow with a finished arrow for dangerous game (weight over 750 grains I think or at least that).

other shoots a newer bow with moderately heavy arrows and 80lbs of draw weight.  his arrows are tipped with Rocket Steelheads (hardly a huge mechanical @just over 1" cut).  longer draw too.

most people think that mechanicals have crazy different penetration when compared to fixed blades but in reality that might not be as true.  most people think of mechanicals and jump to the brands and models with massive cutting diameters.  that's where you really suffer. 

Victory x ringer HV-1. Hold one in your hand it's like they're made out of potato chips but they are incredibly durable. I've shot four seasons of the winter league with the same arrows

I shoot the same arrows out of my elite in the southern zone winter 3d league.
Absolutely love them, and they are durable as hell!

TC...How are yours fletched ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

most people think that mechanicals have crazy different penetration when compared to fixed blades but in reality that might not be as true.  most people think of mechanicals and jump to the brands and models with massive cutting diameters.  that's where you really suffer. 

For me personally I have no issues with mechanicals penetrating. My issue with them is them going through something hard and staying together. I have killed a couple of truck loads of deer with mechanicals "G5 Tekans, Rage and nap spitfires" and never had an issue with penetration other than the Tekans that aren't legal in NY I had issues with the others holding together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk