Rage knock offs

stoneam2006

FeraDyne Outdoors has some job openings for manufacturing in Wisconsin. Had a CNC machine operator position and similar others that seem to be filled up. I was hoping more people would come in here to bash Rage and push for a good broadhead company like Muzzy. I need a good laugh.

I have always shot muzzy and love them never had a problem not 100 percent sure I'm gonna switch yet but am going to buy the cheap ones to test out....still going to test flight of my muzzy also

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have always shot muzzy and love them never had a problem not 100 percent sure I'm gonna switch yet but am going to buy the cheap ones to test out....still going to test flight of my muzzy also

Muzzy and Rage broadheads are probably machined in the same place now they're both owned by the same company.  I think all the work is done out of Wisconsin.  The real ones aren't made in China.  The guy steering the ship for the parent company FeraDyne is supposedly an avid bowhunter.  They're not made in China.

• Like 1

Rage bought Muzzy a few years ago. I stopped having luck with Muzzy right before that, not sure why but I couldn't get them to stop planeing (SP?) for me.

If they relocated manufacturing to Wisconsin versus Colorado some may not have packed up and moved.  Now you've got the different people making them based on the shop drawings/plans.  there might be transition pains?  I'm sure it'll get better.  you don't buy out both the best mechanical head and best fixed blade head mfg and then let the brands sink from QC issues.  I would think anyway.... supposed in today's world I could be wrong.

...did those heads spin test true/straight?

Edited by dbHunterNY

Muzzy indeed had planning issues with their last batches from the factory in CO. Something was up and whatever it was, turned out to be related to the sale of the company from what I understand. Some finances came into play causing the quality of the product to degrade a bit and that sent the company further into a spiral and thus the sale.

It was quite the thread on AT back in the day about it.

that's interesting.  I do know that there's so much competition for mfg broadheads that a company has to straighten issues out like that or the tank in a hurry.  hunters expect a lot from a broadhead.  i'll read some threads at AT but I've never been on there too much or setup a log in.

Muzzy indeed had planning issues with their last batches from the factory in CO. Something was up and whatever it was, turned out to be related to the sale of the company from what I understand. Some finances came into play causing the quality of the product to degrade a bit and that sent the company further into a spiral and thus the sale.

It was quite the thread on AT back in the day about it.

Huh, I'll be dipped. I always suspected that but never looked into it at all. Glad I'm not alone, thanks for that tidbit.

I don't shoot expandable because I don't trust them, there is no way I would trust a knock off or factory 2nd expandable. It would always be in the back of my mind worrying about it performing. My father shoots rages and I think he's killed 5 or 6 deer with the same head. Unless you loose them 3 heads should last for lots of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't shoot expandable because I don't trust them, there is no way I would trust a knock off or factory 2nd expandable. It would always be in the back of my mind worrying about it performing. My father shoots rages and I think he's killed 5 or 6 deer with the same head. Unless you loose them 3 heads should last for lots of deer.

I agree, I won't even reuse quality broadheads.

Damn not where I hunt...your lucky to be able to reuse arrow let alone broadhead rocks are everywhere...of course I haven't shot alot of deer with my bow

I don't have a love affair with Rage heads but they do work well on deer.  The farthest I've had to look for one even with a not so great hit was 60 yards.  The price is high on them though.  I prob only go through two a season so its not like it's hundreds of dollars.  Honestly a quality box of ammo is just as much.  It's how things are nowadays.  

I tried Steelforce, and Magnus.  Admittedly my sharpening skills weren't there and they both wind plane a lot.  I've lost well hit deer on Thunderhead 100's so I'm over them big time.  As far as Muzzy's go, I get a really flyer every one and a agin and the Phantom was trash so I've kinda been sour on them as well.  As far as other expanding heads go, the NAP's aren't that impressive to me.  I never shot the Reapers, the Montec's, or Meat Seekers.  The Meat Seekers look wicked though as do some of the Rockets.

The best fixed blade I ever used was the old Wasp Cam Locks and they stopped making them 20 years ago.  I wouldn't be unwilling to try one of their expanding heads.  

I have been shooting Rage 2's for the past few years . The farthest I have killied a deer is 35 yards . They are deadly . 

I will admit that a blade can pop out of the rummer O ring . I always double check when I have an arrow nocked . 

I have a bunch of Muzzys that I havn't shot and should try them out sometime .

As far as the cost of the Rage broadheads , I look at it as an investment in my kids inheritance !  :taunt:

• Like 3

Yea I knew I would get this answer and as a machinist I understand it fully but the fact is they charge 20 a head and that's outrageous IMO especially when they are already made in China and the margins are huge....I thought about shooting grim reapers bc it's one of only company actually made in USA but not a fan of them nor are most I have talked to

If you're looking for a good quality head that as far as I know is still american made look at the ramcats, they are a fixed hybrid broadhead. They are legal in NY. They penetrate unlike anything else (I can attest to it), the blades bend occasionally on deer but its never hindered anything for me or anyone else I know of and I never reuse blades after 1 deer anyhow. They fly like field points guaranteed. You still get a generous 1 3/16" cut. They can be purchased for $32/3 pack. Just a thought for you, I'm not trying to push or sell anything, just passing along info on a great product in my opinion. Look up reviews if you doubt anything.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you're looking for a good quality head that as far as I know is still american made look at the ramcats, they are a fixed hybrid broadhead. They are legal in NY. They penetrate unlike anything else (I can attest to it), the blades bend occasionally on deer but its never hindered anything for me or anyone else I know of and I never reuse blades after 1 deer anyhow. They fly like field points guaranteed. You still get a generous 1 3/16" cut. They can be purchased for $32/3 pack. Just a thought for you, I'm not trying to push or sell anything, just passing along info on a great product in my opinion. Look up reviews if you doubt anything.

I looked up the ramcats...don't they tip backward witch I thought was illegal or am I looking at wrong model...I'm still gonna buy the knock offs to try but always open to try others

As they sit they are "barbed" which is illegal in NY, but they aren't barbed because the blades fold forward when pulled backwards (like a Rage). That's why its called a fixed hybrid.

O so they shoot expanded put pull backward

Try NAP Killzone's.  I've been using them for three years now and probably won't use another broadhead ever again.  Similar design, very strong / stout head.  You won't ever have any issues with blades coming lose as well as any rubber band issues as there are none.  Price wise I am sure is close to the Rage however you owe it to the animal to make an ethical kill and not risk their suffering because you saved a few bucks on eBay.  Just my honest opinion.

Steve

• Like 1

Try NAP Killzone's. I've been using them for three years now and probably won't use another broadhead ever again. Similar design, very strong / stout head. You won't ever have any issues with blades coming lose as well as any rubber band issues as there are none. Price wise I am sure is close to the Rage however you owe it to the animal to make an ethical kill and not risk their suffering because you saved a few bucks on eBay. Just my honest opinion.

Steve

Lol how does saving money have anything to do with ethics? If the broadhead looks like a rage flies like a rage cuts like a rage and deploys like a rage then I'm 100 percent sure it will kill like a rage...I still have testing to do on them but from reviews and AT guys who have used them I expect nothing less than a rage other than having to sharpen them witch I always check on my heads anyway.

• Like 1

quite honestly, I don't care what brand of manufacture the imitation broadhead is, if they're factory seconds, or put together cheaper or material of a lesser quality, I'm not going to risk it.....you could very well get 11 good ones in a pack, but the 12th one might be a dud, and that may be the one that costs you a deer, not worth saving $20.00 in my opinion...........but chances are you'll never have a problem with them if you go that route, just not something I would do. 

• Like 3

quite honestly, I don't care what brand of manufacture the imitation broadhead is, if they're factory seconds, or put together cheaper or material of a lesser quality, I'm not going to risk it.....you could very well get 11 good ones in a pack, but the 12th one might be a dud, and that may be the one that costs you a deer, not worth saving $20.00 in my opinion...........but chances are you'll never have a problem with them if you go that route, just not something I would do.

That is my thought exactly! Let's say you kill 3 deer a year with a bow and use a new rage every time that's 60$ a year. That's cheap money in my opinion. I wouldn't want to go through the feelings of losing a deer while using the knock offs and be wondering if it was a broad head malfunction. Not saying a factory rage can't fail but at least I would know I did everything I could to mitigate the chances.

Not talking 20 bucks tho let's do the math if a 3 pack is 30 bucks a head is 10 bucks...I'm looking at 6 for 20 that's just over 3 a head...another thing is I shoot deer yotes coon or fox from the stand and if bored enough I'll shoot a squirrel. That gets expensive

Edit...just to point out I will not use them if I am not 100 percent sure in performance of the head

Edited by stoneam2006