Keeping bucks around

Iluvracks1359

Hey all,

I am seeking some advise. I just recently started my preseason scouting and already have a couple of nice bucks on camera.  Ive yet to shoot a good buck and though ive always scouted hard, I never seem to be in the right time come deer season.  This season ive moved my stand and so far I'm feeling good about the move, but how can i make sure the deer im seeing stay in the area?!?! Im really looking to get one of these bucks during bow season this year , so I'm curious, when is a good time to start using doe in heat scents or start putting some fake buck scrapes nearby? Or is that even a good technique?!!? Any advice that helps me get my first wall mounter would be great!!! thanks!

I find for this area of country that the last week of Oct seems to be the start of the chase. The bucks are ready but the doe's are not so the bucks are looking day and night to find the first doe that ready to breed. I start using doe in rut at that time, and also use fox to kill off my man scent. Also as I being a old fart of 75, no longer go in tree stands and must use natural blinds I make in the woods. Hunting on the ground is a lot harder for hunting deer with the bow. I hope this helps you.

• Like 2

Its very difficult. Most of the bucks I could set a watch by all summer pull the disappearing act come hard horn. They sporadically show up but very randomly it seems. Some don't move too far and others won't be seen again until next spring. Its frustrating. That's just my experience over 10 years of running cams. A lot has to do with different properties too I'm sure. As far as making them stay? Good luck!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Unless you've seen those buck in hard horn trying to keep them there will be tough, they have different requirements in summer than they do fall. That being said,

1. Identify what the deer are using your property for.food,bedding, travel corridor.

2. What does your property lack thay could make them use it more? Water,food,cover,bedding, escape cover, sanctuary

3 . Plan and execute it to create said need..

4. Pray they stay...

• Like 3

Myself I don't pre season scout, it's what I see during the seasons that determine where I place my stands. My ladders that I moved this year was done late winter , my hang ons tend to,go in the same areas each year and they are not more then 30 or 40 yards in from crop fields, same for most of my ladders .

I stay out of my spot as much as possible till hunting season . I seldom use scents, rattle , or call , although many have great luck doing so. I don't make scrapes many do that's just me . I try to disturb the area as little as possible .

Now I hunt a great area 90 acres in the middle of crop fields, one going a mile or so to the south of me. I have thick bedding areas I never set foot in, out side of shed hunting them once in April .

Many of the Bucks I get on camera I'll see during the season, some ill get pics of when guys kill them across the road.... But most still bed and travel through my spot.

I'd also buy more stands if you just have one, they go on sale at the end of the season pick one up each year if you can .

The longer you,hunt the spot you'll see where they tend to move , adjust stands accordingly over the years . Hunt the rut as much as possible , I've found bucks on a mission tend to slip up from time to time , while bucks just slipping through the woods slowly are far more in tune to the slightest noise or movement, and of course your scent .

Last bow season a slob I never saw come in started to make a scrape ,my boot made the slightest squeak and he ran off as fast as possible .

Same stand in the rut a decent buck on a mission ( in a hurry head down) came in I stood pulled back, he passed me I had to let off ,turn as he went right under but behind me ,swing around to the other side re draw try to stop him with a " burp "( he did) and I killed him at 10 yards . When he came in he was a top a slope and we were at the same height this is when I had to first stand as he was coming fast, he never picked up on it .

In a nut shell, more stands, hunt the rut , and disturb the area as little as possible . Deer want to be where other deer are and hunters aren't .im lucky I have great cover, tons of food and 30 years of watching them during the season .

Good luck . Boy that was long ...,.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 4

Good luck, food for all the seasons and keep pressure to an absolute minimum. I have 400 acres and only hunt 100 of them until Nov1. The slightest amount of human pressure will turn a mature buck nocturnal very fast. If u only have 1 stand I wouldn't hunt it more than once a week and that would only be if wind is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its very difficult. Most of the bucks I could set a watch by all summer pull the disappearing act come hard horn. They sporadically show up but very randomly it seems. Some don't move too far and others won't be seen again until next spring. Its frustrating. That's just my experience over 10 years of running cams. A lot has to do with different properties too I'm sure. As far as making them stay? Good luck!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I was meaning that come Fall when its time to hunt there off the summer pattern.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input guys, I have been checking the cams Every 2 weeks since I saw these bucks, and they haven't appeared once again, just 2 other does.  It has been oppressively hot though and I imagine this limits their movement. I also put down some Acorn feed/attractant to see what I can bring in, and still they haven't come back

dont post post you baited..even if for a cam its illegal in ny...unless by special permit for research..

bachlor groups will be breaking up soon and yearlings will be cruising looking  for new home ranges as mom kicked them out... habitat is ket to keeping any animal on a property.. work on that

as for tips , get back in the woods a bit from a field edge and look for old rubs scrapes, set you stad even further back the faint trails that are in this area..bucks scent check everything, humans use visual targeting.. you better off being in the right spot to see a deer that you can get , than being in a spot to see deer that you cant...

get on net flicks and pick up bowhunting oct whitetails 1 and 2 you will learn more from those 2 videos than in 5 years watching new hunting shows and wandering around the wood yourself...i apologise for the wierd 80's sound track and pre hd video but they are worth it!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input guys, I have been checking the cams Every 2 weeks since I saw these bucks, and they haven't appeared once again, just 2 other does.  It has been oppressively hot though and I imagine this limits their movement. I also put down some Acorn feed/attractant to see what I can bring in, and still they haven't come back

That, my friend, is illegal. You should go back and clean it up all and never do it again while it's illegal in NY. Baiting is for poachers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

as for tips , get back in the woods a bit from a field edge and look for old rubs scrapes, set you stad even further back the faint trails that are in this area..bucks scent check everything, humans use visual targeting.. you better off being in the right spot to see a deer that you can get , than being in a spot to see deer that you cant...

get on net flicks and pick up bowhunting oct whitetails 1 and 2 you will learn more from those 2 videos than in 5 years watching new hunting shows and wandering around the wood yourself...i apologise for the wierd 80's sound track and pre hd video but they are worth it!

Those are imo the two best bowhunting videos ever made!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grampy said:
14 hours ago, G-Man said:

These video are on Netflix?

Just remember, when your "home" bucks wander off looking for love in Oct/Nov, other bucks can come wandering in.

In 2013, 14, and 15, I was watching nice bucks on camera each year, but they were never to be seen during the season. However, those three years netted me two 9-pointers and a 10-pointer. None of those three deer were ever picked up on my cameras, and I'm running 10 cams on 90 acres.

Barry wensel.. probably the best traditional archer ever. And biddelspacher went on to become the head video grapher for realtree. Both are now in their late 60s or 70s ..

Much harder to find, is whitetail visions technique series.. and video on black bear "master of the black bear".. all are well worth tracking down but I have only found them vhs.. and am still a few short.. tricking whitetail bucks and shooting running deer are both well worth it if you can find them..

You can hang scent from day one. I shot a 7 pointer last year on October 4th, he came running into my scent I had hanging. When I say running I mean running. He came in and stopped about 10 feet from it and started walking towards it and then I stuck an arrow in him. First one I have ever had come into scent for me. 

Edited by wfmiller

I have learned over the years that scent prevention is far superior to scent attractants. I've been investing my money in scentlok,scentblocker etc. It's paying off for sure. If you have "local" bucks on cam leave em alone. Stay away from the cam as long as possible. If you stay out of their core areas as much as possible pre season and be 100% sure the wind is right for your stand when you do hunt, you may see them before they start chasing tail or even late season when they come home. I shot my biggest buck to date by (imo) leaving his core area alone till mid oct, and taking the road up to the neighbors house and coming in downwind vs what I had done years before where I checked cams weekly and taken the trail through the woods from the house. I would venture to say he used to watch me come in to my stand and would lay there or slip away even though the wind was right. Now, it's how I always hunt !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK so I haven't seen a buck on my cam in months..save a small guy and one big ole 6pt...I then went to a stand yesterday morning I have over falling acorns ..a great food source since the corn and beans were cut..I had not one set but 2 different sets of buck fighting behind and in front of me from before day light until 9:15 am...I went to go put cARDS IN A CAM AT NOON THAT SAME DAY TO FIND A 5PT FEEDING IN FRONT OF ONE OF MY GROUND BLINDS NEXT TO A STAND IN MY APPLES..sORRY CAPS....anyways here's the thing food and the girls...they'll find cover...but they want food and the girls...if you can locate the best spot for the girls when you can hunt...you will have the boys arrive.

• Like 1