Help to understand...

So someone was telling me of an air pistol that is like a 45cal. and it has a casing with gun powder and a pellet ...then they confused me so I just stood there nodding because it made no sense...when they finished I said...but I don't have a pistol permit and they said that's the beauty you don't need one...

Do any of you have a clue to what this is from that description?

Edited by growalot

Well I have never heard of any "Air" gun that uses powder. The only thing that comes to mind is the old Gyrojet guns which basically fired a self contained miniature rocket but I would not classify them as an air gun. They were made back in the early sixties I think, a complete failure and have been long obsolete.

Al

Edited by airedale

I used to have an air pistol that used modified .38cal shell caseings to hold compress air and a pellet, but no powder.

There are many new large caliber air rifles and pistols but none that I know of that can use powder and still be classified as an air pistol or rifle.

Hope you get it sorted out, let us know.

If it is a black powder pistol it doesn't need to be registered on your pistol permit until you have all of the components to fire it. Maybe they were referring to something along those lines? I'm not sure what "casing" they referred to though. Sounds a little fishy...

• Like 1

I am in the process of getting this clarified.  I was going to purchase a BP Pistol, a Colt 1851 Navy, on line and my FFL said that the state is now requiring it to be on you permit regardless of whether you have the loading components or not.  I did not go ahead with it.

Blackpowder is treated differently. Some retail stores just do not deal with NY because of our confusing laws. You can purchase a blackpowder pistol with no permit. I've done it. I ordered a CVA Optima pistol online and it shipped to my doorstep. I took it and had it added to my permit with just the sales receipt.