Asking Permission

bartman9

Any tips for asking permission to hunt on people's land?  My daughter (14) and I just started hunting last year and lost one of our spots.  Didn't get any deer on the ground last year, but hoping for some more opportunities this year.  More locations to hunt would go a long way towards making that happen.  So I think we need to go knock on some doors.  I'd appreciate any feedback based on your experiences.  

Thanks,

Dave

We are on the east side of Monroe County (Rochester area).

Shoot there is some fantastic stateland south of you a about 1 hr. Some good deer and plenty of tags to be had for doe. As far as permission goes just gotta ask probably going to be harder the closer to the city you are as more people look closer. Look at the stateland tracts there's a lot of them thru the fingerlakes I hunt them quite often

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shoot there is some fantastic stateland south of you a about 1 hr. Some good deer and plenty of tags to be had for doe. As far as permission goes just gotta ask probably going to be harder the closer to the city you are as more people look closer. Look at the stateland tracts there's a lot of them thru the fingerlakes I hunt them quite often

Living out here and in the woods everyday I can tell you this...shots coming off the state lands drops off quite a bit after opening weekend...so best times would be during the week..Ya I know your daughter...Well I have to tell you when opener was a Monday...my kids got that day and sometimes the  next off and were at camp with us...Some times family experiences trump a day or two at school...besides out here have the school was out hunting any how...

• Like 1

https://www.qdma.com/articles/10-tips-on-asking-for-permission-to-hunt

https://www.qdma.com/articles/how-to-find-and-keep-hunting-land

....in the last issue of the membership magazine "quality whitetails" there was just a great article on getting in the good graces with a farmer.  the author is a farmer himself who wrote it, so it's advice from the source.

...on our family farm it seems people show up in camo during or just before the season.  never earlier in the year during haying season.  not one has ever gotten permission.  don't be that guy.  do leg work ahead of time.  except no with a smile and move on to the next door.

• Like 2

Steve Rinella has good advice in his Complete guide to hunting book... In addition to offering help on the land, another good way to start hunting deer on a property would be to first inquire about hunting small game.  A landowner may be more open to you popping a few squirrels or rabbit with a .22.  Once they see you are responsible (and helpful), they will be more likely to allow deer hunting. 

Before anyone pounces... I know bow hunting for deer is probably safer and less disturbing than squirrel hunting with a .22... but lots of landowners do not.

• Like 1

Look neat,go early like now , bring your daughter , offer to help .

I live east of Rochester my self , and hunt south of here on prime farm land , wife's from one of the largest farm families in Ontairo county , so I know a few farmers.

Dispite what you'll hear, there are still farms that will let People on, I knew three near me, down to two as yesterday I saw one posted for the first time .

If I knew you personally I'd give you a lead but I value my standing in the area to much give the nod to a stranger .

Ask around everywhere , work , your Doctors office , your kids teams , you'd be surprised who,owns land and would let someone they know on, more so the a door knocker .

My nephew's financial advisor has 1,500 acres and my nephew is the only one he lets hunt it. He got access when he mentioned he was going out deer hunting the next week end during one of their meetings .

I also know of a couple of teachers that hunt a nice piece of cover along one of our farm fields. The land owner doesn't hunt , one of the teachers taught his kid , and the land owner liked the idea of a couple teachers he knew and trusted hunting it and keeping the local trespassers off .

Farmers all either hunt or have friends and workers who do, it's one of the landowners with the least chance of getting on really .

My split broilers are starting to smoke pretty good gotta go !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 5

Take your daughter with you and have her ask..it's frightening but farmers will appreciate you teaching her to ask rather than being a bring along,or a story to let you hunt.. starting with smaller game is a good route as well , woodchucks, squirrel, turkey.. after you build a relationship with someone that way deer hunting and neighbors properties open up.as well, a thank you note after a small game hunt a d a holiday card go far as well. I got permission as a youth for turkey in Delaware County 5 hours from my house with a friend thay taught me how to turkey hunt. After a few years deer hunting was offerd as well as introductions to neighbors to hunt..my friend has since passed but I still have access to severally hundred acres of private land there.

Wow!  This is great information everyone!  I really appreciate all your help.  I will definitely try out some of your suggestions.  

As I mentioned, we both started bow hunting last year.  My daughter is the one that really wanted to do it, so I decided to go along for the ride.  After the first deer sighting, we were both completely hooked!  It has been so great doing this with her and sharing the same passion.  Thanks again!

Dave

• Like 6

Don't be afraid to ask for permission for a single weekend too, then stop in after and give them a report. That way they'll know you are serious and not a bozo. Kids always help and can volunteer to help the land owners too.

Tax maps are your friend, study them and go with knowledge of boundarys, names and addresses.

Be honest and forthright with everything, wear good clothes and be sure to mention that you'd like to bow hunt with your young daughter. Maybe describe yourself and your daughter a little and what your hoping to get out of hunting there. You'll hear some no's for various reasons that are completely out of your hands so don't get discouraged. And Larry was one hundred percent right about land owners who you'd never even know own land. I got permission for the property I hunt because my father often took the bus with the landowners wife. Be sure to leave your number in case they change their mind and decide to allow you to hunt.

Be sure the land owners know that you are only looking for permission for the two of you , and no others. All too often, One person with permission lets friends tag along....

Be sure, if permission is given, to ask for the property borders, where any animals may be (live stock), and if there are any other hunters on the land...respect the other hunters, and try to find out where they normally hunt and avoid that area.

• Like 1

Farmers all either hunt or have friends and workers who do, it's one of the landowners with the least chance of getting on really .

How true that is...one of the crop farmers wife put an end to "anyone " hunting...$$$ is King and she said no moola no hunting.....This probably wouldn't have happened as soon as it did had the 4 wheelers, snowmobilers and dirt bikers not abused the use of their network of tractor roads. Driving through his fields...now the lessees have the properties posted up and the road ways chained...The farmers gets some cash and free patrolling win win for them.

I just show up and tell them and speak in the 3rd "jeremy K will be hunting your property this year"

But in a seriousness ,I give credit to people who are willing to show up to a complete strangers house and ask for permission to hunt their land , it's a really big deal for the hunter and the landowner . Good luck to the OP and his daughter on their search.

Wow!  This is great information everyone!  I really appreciate all your help.  I will definitely try out some of your suggestions.  

As I mentioned, we both started bow hunting last year.  My daughter is the one that really wanted to do it, so I decided to go along for the ride.  After the first deer sighting, we were both completely hooked!  It has been so great doing this with her and sharing the same passion.  Thanks again!

Dave

I think that's a valid pitch to a landowner.  Admirable to say the least if you ask me.  you'll develop lots of other reasons to hunt as you get into it, but none less contested.

I go around a lot for permission to coon hunt with my hound. My tip is use the local tax map to find the actual owner (often not who's on the posted sign) and their address. Go in person with written permission slips that have your's and their info on them. That way they have a record of who they're letting on their land and you have it in writing. My slips also have a waiver on them saying they're not liable for my injuries. I know it's not needed but if you do get hurt (trust me from experience) it stops your insurance company from going after them. Be friendly and well dressed. Personally I have better luck not asking to Deer hunt. I always lead with getting permission to coon hunt. 9/10 time they let me coon hunt but not Deer. Then after a year or two I get permission to Deer hunt. 

• Like 2

Steve makes a good point , find the owner. Often farmers rent a lot,of land Yet everyone thinks they own it . We own farm land and rent it to farmers ( wife's cousins ) I can't count the number of times people,contact them asking to,hunt, hike, shoot whatever .

He just tells them no ,sometimes refers them to,me.

Not long ago we were shooting a AK 47 with bump stock ( fires like a full auto) and neighbors called farmer, so sometimes there is a benefit ....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As someone said before, don't show up at the last minute in your camo. Go now and start knocking on doors, heck you should of done it months ago. Also you don't need to dress up, but don't look like you just got done working in your yard, or after you've had a couple beers. Offer to give them some meat if you get one. My dad and I hunt a farm right down the street from me and every year we take a bag of meat to them after the season and a christmas card with a $100 in it. We've been there 4 or 5 years now and he lets us keep our 4 wheelers there for the season and this year he agreed to let us put in a food plot. No matter what happens be nice, and thank them for their time.