1st shot daily pics

stoneam2006

Buckmaster....how long does that bale of hay last behind your target that's a good idea

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think it's 3 years old now and still stopping em. I get em for free from my cousin that bales all my fields but last I checked you can get a round bale for around 40-50$ use it for 4 or five years then use it for mulch in the garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think it's 3 years old now and still stopping em. I get em for free from my cousin that bales all my fields but last I checked you can get a round bale for around 40-50$ use it for 4 or five years then use it for mulch in the garden.

Yea my wifes grandparents own a farm across street hay every year and I help when I can I'm sure I could get one...may have to...

How long does it take someone to be good at 20-30 yards? 50 shots, 100 shots?

I mean someone who never shot before, but was setup with the right equipment etc

That's a loaded question because good is a broad term. With a someone that knows what they are doing and some practice probably 100shots. But on the same note professional sports coaches say it takes 10k times of repetition to become muscle memory.

30yds is a lot big different than 20! If I was starting shooting today and wanted to hunt this season I would put the cap on around 20yds. Many of the guys that know way more about archery than me say shoot out to a distance where you can put 10 shots in a pie plate not all shot at once and take away 1/3 of the distance and that should be your max hunting range.

• Like 3

With a compound and sight, you could be proficient at 20yds pretty quickly.  I was an ok shot (5" or less groups) within a few weeks.  Killed my first two deer my first season ever hunting with the bow and bought it in sept.  The first shot wasn't the greatest but that was more nerves.  

Now the bare bow recurve is a whole different story.  Lol

• Like 1

Even though you can become decent in a short time, the real test is when you are ready to shoot a live deer.  The more you ingrain your form, the less likely you will blow it if a B&C comes by.  It should be second nature.   Imo

That's it right there...the hard part of archery is not the shot but more the control of all motions and having a deer within range usually 30 yards or less. When they are that close its not like a gun it becomes sort of unreal imo everything has to be right from the draw ancor release and follow thru and that's where practice comes in. My nerves get me alot and it's what causes me to miss normally low as I punch the release and drop the bow. Hopefully this year with the extra time and effort I am putting in I can control myself and get thru the nerves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

With a compound and sight, you could be proficient at 20yds pretty quickly.  I was an ok shot (5" or less groups) within a few weeks.  Killed my first two deer my first season ever hunting with the bow and bought it in sept.  The first shot wasn't the greatest but that was more nerves.  

Now the bare bow recurve is a whole different story.  Lol

Not for nothing, because I know we (the three of us) give alot of grief about our shooting, but you took to shooting faster than anyone I've met. You are not the 99% on this one so your experience is going to be atypical. Even shooting trad bow right now, you'd outshoot alot of veteran competition trad archers.

Edited by phade

Was that a compliment Phade?  No more of that now!   Back to breaking my chops. And you will recall deer one since you jumped her coming in to find me when I had no clue what to do next.  Just sitting in my blind with an adrenaline overload.   Lol

• Like 1

Even though you can become decent in a short time, the real test is when you are ready to shoot a live deer.  The more you ingrain your form, the less likely you will blow it if a B&C comes by.  It should be second nature.   Imo

BINGO!

The 1 and only deer I have ever wounded with a bow was a year when I got back from Iraq in the middle of September. I practiced for 2 weeks and wounded a doe on oct1. Things can happen and deer can be wounded or missed for many reasons but when 100% of the blame falls on your shoulders it sucks even worse. I said that day that I'll never let that happen again.

• Like 1

There are different power verifiers(lens) they screw into a threaded peep and help clear up a starbrusting pin, but at the same time while you are looking thru your peep and at your target the target is clear enough to either aim at the kill zone or see rings if shooting in a 3d league

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can't say that the juice would be worth the squeeze on this idea. I understand the "practice" aspect but the deer I want to kill never comes out first he's the one sitting 5yds in and watching me draw therefor changing his plans for the night.

8 or 9 years ago when I was in the service hunting camp Lejeune I had hunted a monster 6pt for 3 months and never got a shot, the week before Xmas I had given up on him a basket 6 that I had let go 20x before walked under me I drew on him and just as I did I heard the unmistakable snotty "blow" of a mature buck looked up and there was my big 6 at 20yds broadside locked on to me when I was trying to shoot the dink. I learned a lot that day.

It's helped me is all i know. That would suck though. I try to watch out for other deer when drawing. Thats part of not getting busted. It includes other deer around you. If they blow your deer won't be hanging around long and is now going to be on edge. Some super slammers like tom miranda also practice drawing.
  • Like 1

Verifiers make me nervous for hunting, we get a lot of nasty wet weather

If the weather takes a turn for the worst while I am out hunting i van just unscrew the verifier, and hunt without it.
For some reason my contacts just cause to much starbrusting, and I would rather take my chances with the verifier in vs. worrying about precipitation on the lens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I like to keep stuff simple and I shoot a huge peep. I had one on a 3D bow once and I couldn't imagine it on a hunting rig.

I agree.  my hunting bows usually have 1/4" tied in peeps. no tubing or anything else.