Stands on the line

Chef

just tell him, hey it's my first year owning the property so until I get to know the land and you better I want it to myself......here's my number if you ever need to come on and retrieve a deer or if there's anything else I can do for you feel free to give me a call........simple enough. If I were you I'd tactfully put up some new posted signs along that line and around the property, I'm sure a lot of guys would just overdo it with signs in that area to send a message, but no need for that at first.....or better yet, knock on his door and ask him to walk the property line with you to show you the area.

• Like 1

I've no issue with stands on the line as long as they shoot onto their land .

Now when we first went rifle here, first we noticed truck tracks driving around a  hay field, owner of land asked me to put up more posted signs , which I did. Then more tracks , and they went right to a "point" that would allow a rifle to cover the width of our whole field .

Next a large shooting shack went up on stilts with the only opening looking right across the field  at my ladder stand on the other side of the field .....

we had a talk with that guy who actually denied building it at first!  He never got to sit there once.

your case you already got lots of good advice , good neighbors are worth their weight in gold, he could be a great guy who had permission prior .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Do what I did...put your name and phone number(cell) on a piece of paper and go knock on his door and introduce your self ..then explain you just bought the place and will be putting up posted signs  to avoid any problems with anyone not knowing the lines,know one specifically. That you hunt but will also be target practicing and would hate to have any injuries due to unintentional line crossing. That if he hunts your cell number is right on that slip so he can call to ask for retrieval. but speaking to you first is a must because you have just so much time and do not want your hunts messed up  nor accidents to happen...Mention not wanting any accidents to happen a few times...It will get him thinking...best you'll find him nice...worse you'll get a phone call later from a drunk a-hole calling you every name in the book...:wink: I have 18  neighbors that border me....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I'd let it go, at least for now. It's not about being weak or meek, it's about being the better person. It would probably be a good idea to introduce yourself to the neighbor, and try to get an idea where he's coming from, and assess his character. Being on good terms with the guy might be a big advantage to you, especially if you don't live in the area. I have neighbors that I let hunt on my property, provided I'm not hunting there that day, and they give me the same respect regarding their land. It's just deer hunting, not life & death issues.

I also have a neighbor that takes the hard-nose approach, it's hurt him at least once that I know of, since he's made it very clear nobody is allowed to cross onto his land. He called me asking for permission to look for a deer that ran on my place, I asked him if he was now giving me permission to go onto his property; he wouldn't say yes, so I told him to pound sand.  

This is true but he's gotta respect you n your land. The right aproach is certainly what you're getting at but if he's disrespecting you just to get what he wants Id make him miserable. 

Whatever you're gonna do, you should do it soon.  The last thing you want to have to do is work this stuff out in the woods on opening day after bumping into your new neighbor.

Good advice to seek the neighbor out.  It couldn't hurt to stretch the truth a little and tell him that you have a large hunting group and definitely plan to post someone near that stand.

• Like 1

Very curious to see how this goes. Report back.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I will..... Gunna have to wait till after the closing but I'll keep you all posted for sure.....honestly im gunna put a Stand on my property right there on the line facing my land..... And hunt it opening day either way to keep him honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2016 at 9:04 AM, chefhunter86 said:

. Let's also be clear that even if the stand is on his land he would have max 5 feet to shoot on his own property... Any way I will try my best to make him a friend and not a enemy

Is it a box blind? Enclosed? Why couldn't he just shoot out the other side?

The shape of my property is narrow and deep and as such, I have four stands near the lines. Not on, but maybe 10-20 yards in on my side. All of these face in toward my property. One of my neighbors is in his late 70's and another neighbor is in his early 90's so I know there will be some land transfers sometime in the not so distant future.

I've already given thought to how I'd like to meet the new folks and I'm determined to make the first effort to meet them, and let them know that I absolutely do not shoot onto their property without their explicit permission. Actually, I have never asked although the older gentleman has given me permission to shoot "Boone and Crockett" bucks on his side. (we've never seen one of those here in 30 years, but good to know if there ever is one - lol).

Hopefully your new neighbor reaches out to you, and turns out to be a good friend!

• Like 1

It sounds like the guy has a lot of time and effort put into building this stand. He may be a bit hard-nosed about removing it or not using it. It may become more of a nasty situation than any of us are visualizing. If it were a portable stand he probably would be a lot more likely to move it without any kind of problems. It could be that he had a special arrangement with the previous landowner.

It sounds like the guy has a lot of time and effort put into building this stand. He may be a bit hard-nosed about removing it or not using it. It may become more of a nasty situation than any of us are visualizing. If it were a portable stand he probably would be a lot more likely to move it without any kind of problems. It could be that he had a special arrangement with the previous landowner.

Very possible, but he does not and will not have that agreement.... I don't care if I have to take the first two weeks of the season off and sit a stand right next to his to make sure he does not violate my property.... I'll do it... Sit there dawn to dusk and put posted signs on a tree facing his stand.

Have you spoken with him/them yet? Dropped a note with your name and number on it? Like some have said, he may have had permission from the previous owner. Maybe a polite conversation and he will take the stand down with no fuss. When it comes to having disputes with neighbors it's better to know where you both stand ( no pun intended ) on an issue before going bonkers and making a brash judgment without knowing much. JMO.

Have you spoken with him/them yet? Dropped a note with your name and number on it? Like some have said, he may have had permission from the previous owner. Maybe a polite conversation and he will take the stand down with no fuss. When it comes to having disputes with neighbors it's better to know where you both stand ( no pun intended ) on an issue before going bonkers and making a brash judgment without knowing much. JMO.

Have not closed yet I wanted to wait till after the closing

I am surprised at the number of pepole who would sit there to make sure he's honest. Really even putting a stand by it is strange in my opinion. If the deer funnel up that way I'd just find where they are coming from and place stand further away. To much bad blood over a damn deer. 

No deer is worth making a neighbor an enemy. 25 acres is not a lot but you can minipulate the habitat and change deer patterned to better suit your needs.  

While hunting muzzleloader we found a big 8 pt  a few years ago.. most ofthe guys I was with were keep it and put it on the wall. I knew it had to be one of the neighbors so I made a few phone calls and found out it was the mother in law of one of the neighbors who we didn't have problems with but weren't friendly with either.  I took said head and photo of deer off trail cam to her the next day. We now have permission to hunt their land and get invited to parties they have. A little bending on your part and you may pick up more land to hunt even if it's just for turkey or just taking a ride on atv. A threating warning or its my land stay off attitude could ruin that chance. Perhaps the owner can't go far from their house for health issues but own 100 acres down the street. you give up that spot but gain 10 more you don't pay taxes on as well as possible 1st chance to buy from said land owner if it becomes available.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

No deer is worth making a neighbor an enemy. 25 acres is not a lot but you can minipulate the habitat and change deer patterned to better suit your needs.  

I agree, to many people put the horse before the carriage. I understand chefs point of view, but to many people are telling him to get aggressive when he hasn't even talked to the other land owner yet. I mean no disrespect, but if you get your thong all twisted before you even get to beach you will have issues.

My opinion is the neighbor had prior permission to hunt the land chef is buying. If you are going to poach, or trespass, you aren't going to build an elaborate stand like the one mentioned. You might use a climber or sit on the ground, but build a box blind......Nope.

Keep a level head about it is all I am saying.

• Like 1

I agree, to many people put the horse before the carriage. I understand chefs point of view, but to many people are telling him to get aggressive when he hasn't even talked to the other land owner yet. I mean no disrespect, but if you get your thong all twisted before you even get to beach you will have issues.

My opinion is the neighbor had prior permission to hunt the land chef is buying. If you are going to poach, or trespass, you aren't going to build an elaborate stand like the one mentioned. You might use a climber or sit on the ground, but build a box blind......Nope.

Keep a level head about it is all I am saying.

Of course I will keep a level head and talk to him... The stand is on his land or very close to it.... It is a box blind that the only shooting window provides a shot that can only be taken on to my land.... It is the best spot on the whole 25 acers at is it on the main trail that deer take from bed to food... I know exactly why he out the stand there it's the only place on his 5 acer piece that you could even conceivably hunt.... We shall see not looking to make a enemy but I am looking to make the most of my small piece of land...... Side not I was there with a contractor the other day and drove by.... Saw a for sale sign it front of his house

• Like 1

Of course I will keep a level head and talk to him... The stand is on his land or very close to it.... It is a box blind that the only shooting window provides a shot that can only be taken on to my land.... It is the best spot on the whole 25 acers at is it on the main trail that deer take from bed to food... I know exactly why he out the stand there it's the only place on his 5 acer piece that you could even conceivably hunt.... We shall see not looking to make a enemy but I am looking to make the most of my small piece of land...... Side not I was there with a contractor the other day and drove by.... Saw a for sale sign it front of his house

Hopefully you won't have to worry after all.

Hopefully you won't have to worry after all.

Trying to convince my hunting partner to buy it.... Very low asking price.... Weather he does or doesn't he's always welcome on my land

• 1 month later...

As I am sure what I am about to say will spark the fire but in my personal situation I can speak on behalf of both parties.

I am not one of the fortunate ones to own a ton of land. I rent my home and it happens to be about 5 acres of hi table land not including the house and landlords house or lawns. The neighboring property is owned by someone who lives out of state to my knowledge from landlord. One of the neighbors cuts the trails a time or 2 a year. Posted signs do not have contact info on them. I have a stand set up for my wife that is about 50 yards off the property line. Maybe even less. I even cut a lane to the property line for the fact that she will see any deer coming up the mowed trail/ logging road and where they cross into our land. Last year she had a bad encounter with a guy sitting on the line as she was walking to her stand and he was rather rude and then proceeded to spend the next hour stomping up and down the line just to ruin the entire area for the day. Never once did he ask who she was or where she was hunting just started yelling at her. Now I am aware as to how the open lane may look facing their land however there is no intent on taking a shot at a deer on that land. It's simply to open a field of view so she can see it coming before it gets to the point of no return. Now don't get me wrong I would love to figure out a way to get access to hunt this land even if it means sweat equity and time from me helping out there in off season. I'd love even more to find land to hunt so I didn't have to worry about any of the headache that is sure to come this season but I fear when the Jersey boys make the trip up for the weekend they will hate everything about it.

As I am sure what I am about to say will spark the fire but in my personal situation I can speak on behalf of both parties.

I am not one of the fortunate ones to own a ton of land. I rent my home and it happens to be about 5 acres of hi table land not including the house and landlords house or lawns. The neighboring property is owned by someone who lives out of state to my knowledge from landlord. One of the neighbors cuts the trails a time or 2 a year. Posted signs do not have contact info on them. I have a stand set up for my wife that is about 50 yards off the property line. Maybe even less. I even cut a lane to the property line for the fact that she will see any deer coming up the mowed trail/ logging road and where they cross into our land. Last year she had a bad encounter with a guy sitting on the line as she was walking to her stand and he was rather rude and then proceeded to spend the next hour stomping up and down the line just to ruin the entire area for the day. Never once did he ask who she was or where she was hunting just started yelling at her. Now I am aware as to how the open lane may look facing their land however there is no intent on taking a shot at a deer on that land. It's simply to open a field of view so she can see it coming before it gets to the point of no return. Now don't get me wrong I would love to figure out a way to get access to hunt this land even if it means sweat equity and time from me helping out there in off season. I'd love even more to find land to hunt so I didn't have to worry about any of the headache that is sure to come this season but I fear when the Jersey boys make the trip up for the weekend they will hate everything about it.

Where are you located