Stands on the line

Chef

G-Man it sometimes isn't that simple...for one thing safety is an issue...Now granted signed contract waiting to close...I'd even knocking on his door with an intro and polite discussion of concerns. Giving just enough room for him to step up first on the stand issue. That said such a stand can be a safety issue for both parties..him shooting into your land with little idea of where you are...in retrieving deer without you knowing where he is...I have a guy that sits on the ground on the line in a Ghilisuit during gun season! Thank God I'm in a stand and can spot him. The other thing on safety  it shuts down a good section of Cheif property ..because would you shoot a deer going between you and the blind.Now I have a few stands on the line and spoke to owners first. Explaining I have no interest to shoot on their property and have shown that to be true.That I have them there to play the wind. But also to shoot away from their land.I want no chance of an accident..I 've had guys sit just feet from my stands...fine by me...though it's startled a couple when I've dropped a doe. That I saw on my place and they did not. That usually stops the close sits...but I'd rather have them near where I can see them then in their woods shooting towards me. Why those stands are only hunted when I can move to or out from them in the dark..He should be knocking on the  guys door now...with a firm shake smile and hi I'm going  to be your neighbor ..........

Edited by growalot

On 8/7/2016 at 8:44 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Of course I will keep a level head and talk to him... The stand is on his land or very close to it.... It is a box blind that the only shooting window provides a shot that can only be taken on to my land.... It is the best spot on the whole 25 acers at is it on the main trail that deer take from bed to food... I know exactly why he out the stand there it's the only place on his 5 acer piece that you could even conceivably hunt.... We shall see not looking to make a enemy but I am looking to make the most of my small piece of land...... Side not I was there with a contractor the other day and drove by.... Saw a for sale sign it front of his house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's the best part of your new 25 acres, then you need to put your foot down. And it sounds like the only part of his 5 acres that he can hunt on is in fact the very best of your 25, so be polite but firm. He needs to stop. 

• Like 1

Well wouldn't this suck if I was that guy ....... I'm in chemung/waverly area 8y. I'd love it if someone here were my bordering landowner so I could finally talk to them tho. Lol

You are the guy...... So stay off my land....... Jk I'm
Down in Sullivan county

On 7/31/2016 at 0:30 AM, nyslowhand said:

Your new neighbor had (had?) the ideal situation, a home with a small plot of land, w/min taxes and the ability to hunt the property line and onto your land. Depending on exactly what the PL survey reveals, you have a couple of uncomfortable choices to make. First thing (my suggestion!) is to introduce yourself to that neighbor, explain your hunting or property usage desires, explain that you regret that any old privileges granted by old land owner are NOT carried over to your ownership and see how he/they react. This is where you need to be super tactiful and not immediately make an enemy. Could explain your plan on putting a stand near theirs and would appreciate them not shooting onto your property, for safety reason. Offer the neighbor friendly retrieval rights, which shouldn't be confused with hunting rights. Someday you may need to retrieve from their 5ac property, so that should be a reciprocal offering.You could barter hunting rights, in return for some amount of "sweat equity" on their part. OR... you could just be the A-hole and immediately put a stand up on your new property directly in front of theirs and then explain to them where the PL is and what you've done. Obviously the outcome of either scenario depends on the neighbor's reaction to your 1st meeting and how he/they perceive the situation. Unfortunately, feuds with neighbors is the worst possible scenario for a new land owner to deal with!!!

This is how i would handle it. IF the guy gives you a hard time I would tell him that you are planning on putting a stand in that general location. If he continues to be an A-Hole I would tell him that he has no right what so ever hit deer or not to come on your property and you will call the police and press charges. 

We had a neighbor that thought because he bordered up to other people that gave him access to their land permission or not. We finally had enough kicking the same guy off 2 years in a row the 3rd we called the cops and they handled it. FWIW don't call local PD get a hold of the state police they will actually serve the guy a ticket.

I forgot to mention we had a tower stand where a guy (not the landowner) setup a double stand 15 feet from it on the neighboring property (where we also have permission to hunt and retrieve deer) on a hedgerow that was ours (on our side of the property line) we took the stand down and notified the landowner that we have it. He all sorts of pissed that we took it down. We tried to explain it wasn't the landowners property but he didn't want to listen. Long story short he was told by the landowner to not come back. 

Best advice I can give is keep your cool you're going to be neighbors until someone dies or moves.

Edited by chas0218

On 9/12/2016 at 4:13 PM, squirrel slayer said:

Now don't get me wrong I would love to figure out a way to get access to hunt this land even if it means sweat equity and time from me helping out there in off season. I'd love even more to find land to hunt so I didn't have to worry about any of the headache that is sure to come this season but I fear when the Jersey boys make the trip up for the weekend they will hate everything about it.

why not lust look up the owner of the property and contact him/her? May not even be the person she had the issue with. 

keep in mind this guy did absolutely nothing wrong so far, and he may very well never have done nothing wrong, he has a stand on a property line and he may very well have had prior permission........handle it as such, no need to treat him like he's public enemy #1. I have a friend who bought property and opening day a few guys pulled up to hunt the land, they had been hunting there for years and had no idea the landowner had sold, wasn't a problem, but things like this happen....not everyone does things with ill intentions.

keep in mind this guy did absolutely nothing wrong so far, and he may very well never have done nothing wrong, he has a stand on a property line and he may very well have had prior permission........handle it as such, no need to treat him like he's public enemy #1. I have a friend who bought property and opening day a few guys pulled up to hunt the land, they had been hunting there for years and had no idea the landowner had sold, wasn't a problem, but things like this happen....not everyone does things with ill intentions.

Yea I'll be nice and get my info first and then deal with it after I have gathered all the information I need...... Right now I'm just sweating bullets to see if I close by the first

9 minutes ago, growalot said:

Why?...if everything is in order you should just get with the owner and ask to hunt...does he bow hunt...is he even still there? If you don't have a # contact the real estate agent can help you.

I was thinking along those lines as far as contacting the owner and asking about the neighbor and if he had prior permission to hunt and maybe even a contact #.....

• Like 2