Muzzleloader Revolver

CFD914

I was looking on cabelas today at different muzzleloaders and came across a few replica colt navy black powder revolvers. It would be fun to pic up as a display but also take out for target practices. Are these black powder revolvers similar to muzzleloaders in regards to an FFL and permits for owning?

thanks!

Hoping some other member can chime in on any updated gun laws regarding BP rifles & pistols. Used to be, they fell outside any online purchasing or shipping restrictions and FFL requirements. Some online reseller that weren't completely aware of NY's laws required a FFL Xfer, which wasn't necessary. You do NOT need a pistol permit in NYS for a ML pistol! BUT... as soon as you carry a ML pistol AND BP together, it becomes a different story & a pistol permit is required. Pretty sure the wonderful Safe Act didn't address ML pistols, be interested in hearing if it actually did.

In your vehicle or on your person if you only have the unloaded BP pistol, no permit is required. Not too sure how this applies in your home? As soon as you have BP with that same pistol, a permit is required! Best advice - get a permit or simply add it on, just in case someday you decide to actually shoot it..

Edited by nyslowhand

11 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Hoping some other member can chime in on any updated gun laws regarding BP rifles & pistols. Used to be, they fell outside any online purchasing or shipping restrictions and FFL requirements. Some online reseller that weren't completely aware of NY's laws required a FFL Xfer, which wasn't necessary. You do NOT need a pistol permit in NYS for a ML pistol! BUT... as soon as you carry a ML pistol AND BP together, it becomes a different story & a pistol permit is required. Pretty sure the wonderful Safe Act didn't address ML pistols, be interested in hearing if it actually did.

I think we need to get a definitive update on this topic as I was going to buy a rare 1851 navy through GI and checked with my local FFL dealer.  He indicated that now all these ML revolvers come under FFL transfers and have to be listed on my permit regardless of whether I have the means to fire them.  Some other FFL dealers have told me the same thing. 

I guess I should ask my pistol permit licensing officer since he is the one I am responsible to and can direct and other officer to.

You can buy  a black powder pistol, with out a pistol license. But, as soon as you load it, or if you have the components to load it, on you……Its a hand gun and it  needs to be registered….

When I was down to the county office last time I ran into our sheriff and I asked him. He basically said unless it's loaded or in your car with the components it's nearly impossible to get charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't they the older assault guns? Im not a bp pistol guy but I'm thinking if it says "Navy" on it it's prob a military piece n civilians have no right to own it. Too dangerous. Ask Hillary, she would not approve loaded or not

Edited by Bowguy 1

3 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Aren't they the older assault guns? Im not a bp pistol guy but I'm thinking if it says "Navy" on it it's prob a military piece n civilians have no right to own it. Too dangerous. Ask Hillary, she would not approve loaded or not

Ha!  I have 2 navy revolvers, 1 reproduction and one original from my great great grand father..has 3 filed notches on back strap.. Wether they varese confederates or wood chucks I'll never know...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I used to sell them, without components to fire them, no permit is required. I ordered mine through CVA and it was laying on my steps when I got home. 2 years later I decided to actually use it and I took the original paperwork to the sheriff's office and they added it no questions asked. Just put it on when you get it and problem solved.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1